Herbst and Manuel blew it | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Herbst and Manuel blew it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
As I said earlier this week, I thought we ran into the perfect storm in every way possible.

But, results matter. They just do.

If we're in the Big East one second longer than Louisville, we've suffered a major, major setback that will diminish our athletic programs almost immediately.

Results matter.
Except for Rutgers.

Reaction Score
It looks like the ACC schools want to destroy the ACC. There's no other logic to such a move.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm not an Athletic Director nor do I have any experience in the field, so I couldn't give you a good answer. Manuel is one and gets paid to do that job. But he certainly hasn't earned that pay in my opinion.
Assuming we are out, Manuel was viewed as a "rock star" by exactly one person in the US, Susan Herbst. I called him a human white flag when the hiring was announced, and most everyone defended his stellar record at facking Buffalo. Buffalo. Jesus H Christ on a stick. Go eat a donut and sit on the beach you fat .

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wow, this thread!

Alright, let's say for the sake of argument (because it could happen) that the Ville gets the ACC nod over UConn. You are all yelling at Herbst and Manual for not getting voted into someone else's conference. Do you understand what that sounds like??? That sounds like someone yelling at a hot pageant girl for not getting picked Miss Universe. She's still hot! She kept herself in shape and got her teeth whitened...what #$k can you do if the "judges" didn't vote you in?!? :eek:

Reaction Score
It's amazing to me that conferences have completely given up the northeast on the whole. I'm not claiming UConn is perfect, but you will now have a tremendous portion of the US (NY and all of New England) both by population and area without a state school to root for.

Connecticut will be, by far, the biggest state without a BCS (or whatever we're going to call it) school. Other less populated (by density and pure numbers) states have multiple representatives.

I'm torn between saying f' college sports. Let them die, and continuing my support of UConn athletics as a different kind of f' you.

I'm just really glad I made it to he NC game in Houston.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wow, this thread!

Alright, let's say for the sake of argument (because it could happen) that the Ville gets the ACC nod over UConn. You are all yelling at Herbst and Manual for not getting voted into someone else's conference. Do you understand what that sounds like??? That sounds like someone yelling at a hot pageant girl for not getting picked Miss Universe. She's still hot! She kept herself in shape and got her teeth whitened...what #$k can you do if the "judges" didn't vote you in?!? :eek:

Coffee is for closers.

Reaction Score
Enough with the "what else would you have done". We don't even know what they did (or looks like DIDN'T DO). Enough is enough. Herbst and Manuel must be thoroughly questioned as to why UConn is ALWAYS passed over, why the criteria ALWAYS changes when it favors us. No more of the canned press release answered. Herbst and Manuel must be held accountable by whatever took place the last week that allowed a 3rd tier commuter school, 2nd place in their state to UK in fan support, and no big tv market to pass us.

And who's going to ask tough questions? The reporters who depend upon a cordial relationship for access and the next VIP pass? We're not there yet but it looks like we might be soon. If we are that little vacation is going to be remembered as whistling past the graveyard.

ESPN now hyping same reports - Sportscenter - says decision turned over to the Presidents but Katz source says no confirmed decision.

Reaction Score
I hope Louisville signs every partial qualifier under the sun and annihilates ACC basketball.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wow, this thread!

Whatever else Herbst does, short of quadrupling the endowment and getting us in the AAU, will be measured by this. This is entirely about relationships and politics. We grabbed these two because of ACC connections, don't doubt it for a moment. And got out campaigned by Central Louisville State College.

Reaction Score
It is not my fault this happened sparky, so don't turn it on me. If anything, it is the fault of people like yourselves that blindly supported these two clowns when it was clear from the start that neither were capable of protecting the athletic department.

Nice try... spout off and then go in a hole.

What kills me is the people who pretend to know how to do other people's job whether it's the bagger in the grocery store, the police officer in your town or the President and AD of a Top 75 academice institution and then publicly judge them based on some misguided opinion of what they should be doing. In life, one needs to control the things that they can control - I have no control over conference affiliation, hiring or firing a head coach, or anything else that revolves around UConn. I'm a college sports fan and UConn is my choice of programs. My living doesn't depend on what conference UConn ends up in nor does it for the overwhelming vast majority of posters on this board. It's not life or death for anyone!

Reaction Score
Assuming we are out, Manuel was viewed as a "rock star" by exactly one person in the US, Susan Herbst. I called him a human white flag when the hiring was announced, and most everyone defended his stellar record at facking Buffalo. Buffalo. Jesus H Christ on a stick. Go eat a donut and sit on the beach you fat ****.

It happened before Manuel. We wasted years with Hathaway.

Reaction Score
It is not my fault this happened sparky, so don't turn it on me. If anything, it is the fault of people like yourselves that blindly supported these two clowns when it was clear from the start that neither were capable of protecting the athletic department.
Maybe, just maybe, the ACC has been reading this message board, and decided LU was less crazy.

Reaction Score
i can't buy this at all. the acc needs to get 1 or several teams asap to keep its league at 14 for tv contract reasons and perception reasons. if uconn is not the pick that is a lot of fuel to fire that the b10 is in fact in uconns future and thats why uconn and the acc didn't happen. no matter lville, cincy or uconn the fball is not tosu or texas so the whole rumor of fsu wants a fball school is bogus. it comes down to markets and fanbase size. we crush them in each and then we talk bball etc. this is all silly. espn and the acc pumped uconn for a bit right away and then they realized we might have better **** going on and started to pump elsewhere. uconn will be fine.

Dan how does the ACC not wanting us translate into the B1G? It looks like we are everyone's last option, much like Tulane/ECU were for the NBE.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It happened before Manuel. We wasted years with Hathaway.
Yes, but when opportunity knocked again, somebody likes to travel with the hoops teams. I wouldn't care so much but A: bourbon, and B: we are literally in the new Yankee conference for football, and only if the basketball conference stays together. Upgrading football got us absolutely nothing in the end, outside looking in.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Whatever else Herbst does, short of quadrupling the endowment and getting us in the AAU, will be measured by this. This is entirely about relationships and politics. We grabbed these two because of ACC connections, don't doubt it for a moment. And got out campaigned by Central Louisville State College.

First off, I can guarantee that Herbst (not Manual) will be judged by the metrics of financial endowment, academic ranking, and fiscal solvency. You are kidding yourself if you think the State of Connecticut is going to judge her on anything else.

Secondly, sometimes in life you can do everything right and not get the "vote". What the hell do you think that Tulane "did right" to get into the Big East???

(sorry for the tone, I'm not trying to go after you...I'm just losing my mind over everyone losing their minds)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan how does the ACC not wanting us translate into the B1G? It looks like we are everyone's last option, much like Tulane/ECU were for the NBE.

they did want us, but they quickly found out that we are wanted elsewhere. espn pumped us imediately day 1, then they found out we are looking at the b10. ever since ever espn story has been lville or cincy or even navy. and every time they say something to devalue uconn. its obvious.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any ACC claim of academic excellence just went down the crapper, if this correct. This is a huge WTF if we are left in the BE. Was it over confidence?

In any event, if this happens, ESPN should never receive a Connecticut taxpayer again. Every freaking zone law should be enforced and a permanent speed trap should be set up at their front door.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First off, I can guarantee that Herbst (not Manual) will be judged by the metrics of financial endowment, academic ranking, and fiscal solvency. You are kidding yourself if you think the State of Connecticut is going to judge her on anything else.

Secondly, sometimes in life you can do everything right and not get the "vote". What the hell do you think that Tulane "did right" to get into the Big East???

(sorry for the tone, I'm not trying to go after you...I'm just losing my mind over everyone losing their minds)

There will be a significant portion of the population for whom this is an unforgiveable error.

Reaction Score
So, the ACC decided to give up or lost Connecticut, NYC, NJ, and Maryland. Talk about a stupid strategy.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
There will be a significant portion of the population for whom this is an unforgiveable error.

Once someone defines the "error" for me, I'll help define my thoughts on how significant the population is or how unforgiveable it is. Until then...

Reaction Score
they did want us, but they quickly found out that we are wanted elsewhere. espn pumped us imediately day 1, then they found out we are looking at the b10. ever since ever espn story has been lville or cincy or even navy. and every time they say something to devalue uconn. its obvious.

I wish I could be optimistic but I think the B10 is looking to going to leave a spot for ND and then poach the ACC for the 16th spot. Until that happens or the SEC/B12 takes an ACC team we are stuck here. By the time we get an invite to the ACC we won't want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom