Head Coaching carrousel mania for 2020 begins | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Head Coaching carrousel mania for 2020 begins

Reaction Score
Sark didn't turn it down according to my Texas source —but he told me earlier it was Urban. Urban is definitely in play—maybe NFL maybe JAX. Wants control— more important than $$

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sark is a heavy drinker and a bit of a womanizer.

He had a great gif under Saban making 7 figures with almost zero scrutiny.

Put me on record as saying he won't do well on the Longhorn spotlight.

Reaction Score
Sark didn't turn it down according to my Texas source —but he told me earlier it was Urban. Urban is definitely in play—maybe NFL maybe JAX. Wants control— more important than $$

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am surprised about Herman. He will be successful somewhere else.

Reaction Score
I am surprised about Herman. He will be successful somewhere else.
Should UConn make a bold move and make a reasonable financial offer to Tom Herman and tell Randy Edsall bye bye. It would send an amazing signal that UConn takes FB seriously and plans to move up the ranks. The salary can be boosted by money found in the UConn Foundation. It would sure increase fan attendance at the Rent and would give the program national attention. If Herman could improve UConn to the top 20 teams, he could move on if he wanted to, or maybe become like Jim Calhoun, a fixture on the campus.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Should UConn make a bold move and make a reasonable financial offer to Tom Herman and tell Randy Edsall bye bye. It would send an amazing signal that UConn takes FB seriously and plans to move up the ranks. The salary can be boosted by money found in the UConn Foundation. It would sure increase fan attendance at the Rent and would give the program national attention. If Herman could improve UConn to the top 20 teams, he could move on if he wanted to, or maybe become like Jim Calhoun, a fixture on the campus.

Well....let's start with financial....Edsall is cheap...Herman won't be. Next...fit...does Herman want to coach an independent in a basketball conference? Does he have ties to the northeast...or does Benedict have any ties to Herman? I would say no on all of those.

I think it's more likely he backfills sarkisian at Alabama for a year. It's late to get a good job...he will probably have to wait for the next coaching cycle. Or....if an NFL team hires Cambell away from Iowa St (Jets interviewed him last time), he could go back to Iowa State.

Shorter answer.....nope.

Reaction Score
Step 1 as Thamel alluded to last weekend...

Dickey played a major role in the hiring of then-LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda as Baylor's new football head coach when Matt Rhule left to become head coach of the National Football League's Carolina Panthers, and was also instrumental in the hirings of both Tom Herman and Major Applewhite at Houston.<

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

The $ are you talking about- most of the money raised by the foundation that eclipsed previous years are earmarked and dedicated to scholarships in certain areas - a huge influx in the medical care area and accounting/business schools
Athletics received $26million but a huge chunk is already spent on the facilities construction and at least 45% has an earmark towards specific usage with aging of 3-15 years
There isn't a budget line item that would support a nationally known D1 football coach like Herman and to be honest I don't think it would be a good decision even if there were funds.
Lets see what RE2 can do with this new team and an indy schedule and his salary is a bargain

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Should UConn make a bold move and make a reasonable financial offer to Tom Herman and tell Randy Edsall bye bye. It would send an amazing signal that UConn takes FB seriously and plans to move up the ranks. The salary can be boosted by money found in the UConn Foundation.
What money found in the UConn foundation? How much are you pitching in?

Reaction Score
What money found in the UConn foundation? How much are you pitching in?
If you bother to check, the practice was widespread from about a decade ago. It was found and being developed at many state universities and most Ivy League schools. Nearly all of the Ivy League universities pay their head football coaches through philanthropic endowments, and other major football programs are increasingly emulating the practice, The Chronicle of Philanthropy reported in 2012. Universities Move to Endowments to Pay Football Coaches

Reaction Score
If you bother to check, the practice was widespread from about a decade ago. It was found and being developed at many state universities and most Ivy League schools. Nearly all of the Ivy League universities pay their head football coaches through philanthropic endowments, and other major football programs are increasingly emulating the practice, The Chronicle of Philanthropy reported in 2012. Universities Move to Endowments to Pay Football Coaches
It's not what's being asked.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Again, what money? And how much are you pitching in?

Reaction Score
Again, what money? And how much are you pitching in?
Hi: Not to be annoying but your comment makes as much sense as asking people on the Boneyard to play QB for UConn if someone here criticizes an intercepted throw during a game. The question attempts to deflate criticism but fails to address the real issue. Sites like the Boneyard need to examine national best practices and it is clear that using endowment funds for FB coach's salary is a national best practice at diverse colleges. This is particularly applicable for UConn, given that UConn is literally one of the lowest ranked FBS teams in the nation.

UConn has about a half a billion dollars in its endowment. A few million a year taken from that to increase the salary paid to a FB coach is not going to impact the endowment much. If a decent coach gets us to a winning season, and eventually top 20 status, as before, and then maybe ACC membership, it is worth it. Unless, you do not feel the coach has much of a role in a successful team.

Long-term, the Foundation really needs to total $2 billion or more in the next decade if UConn wants to be a major research university and competitive in diverse sports -- based on available data. I have donated to the university but many alumni have not. Beyond that, the major donations do not come from typical alumni but philanthropists who want to leave a legacy. We have well-paid staff at the UConn Foundation who are supposed to look for them. But I suspect many are like Randy Edsall who do not want to be held accountable.

Reaction Score
Hi: Not to be annoying but your comment makes as much sense as asking people on the Boneyard to play QB for UConn if someone here criticizes an intercepted throw during a game. The question attempts to deflate criticism but fails to address the real issue. Sites like the Boneyard need to examine national best practices and it is clear that using endowment funds for FB coach's salary is a national best practice at diverse colleges. This is particularly applicable for UConn, given that UConn is literally one of the lowest ranked FBS teams in the nation.

UConn has about a half a billion dollars in its endowment. A few million a year taken from that to increase the salary paid to a FB coach is not going to impact the endowment much. If a decent coach gets us to a winning season, and eventually top 20 status, as before, and then maybe ACC membership, it is worth it. Unless, you do not feel the coach has much of a role in a successful team.

Long-term, the Foundation really needs to total $2 billion or more in the next decade if UConn wants to be a major research university and competitive in diverse sports -- based on available data. I have donated to the university but many alumni have not. Beyond that, the major donations do not come from typical alumni but philanthropists who want to leave a legacy. We have well-paid staff at the UConn Foundation who are supposed to look for them. But I suspect many are like Randy Edsall who do not want to be held accountable.
If any if this is true about us having a half a billion in endowment $$$ then what the heck are we doing by not properly supporting our football team from a financial standpoint (i.e. paying coaches that are a little more proven to get things turned around sooner than later)? Doesn't make sense if that funding is there.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom