HCBD Bleeds Winning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

HCBD Bleeds Winning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based on this, it sounds like his words DO match his actions. Just because the first three games are considered preparation games doesn't mean he plans on losing them. Some players tend to step it up during games versus practice, you won't know which ones until you see them in the actual games. I don't see his words indicating that he plans to go 0-3 to start the season.

What are they preparation for? Practice is preparation for games. Homework is preparation for quizzes. Quizzes are preparation for exams. If his goal was winning these games above all other goals, he wouldn't call them preparation games. I don't see how one could really argue that.

I didn't say he planned on losing them. But he is obviously willing to do things that don't give us the best chance to win. That's easy to accept on a Wednesday behind a computer screen. It's a lot more difficult to accept after sitting in the stands, listening to BYU chants, dumping $$ on tickets, parking, concessions, something way overpriced for the kids, and even paying the cost of parking for a fellow boneyarder going to the game...

I get the long term strategy, but we're coming up on two winnable games. This program needs wins, or he's going to lose the fans. They aren't interested in long term plans. You have to understand this state and this fanbase. We're accustomed to winning. Even the Red Sox fans are now spoiled.

Reaction Score
ibleedblue,
Are you really going to try and argue that coaches can't evaluate players based on practice? Despite the fact they've been doing it since there have been organized sports? Some folks surely go to extremes to defend their positions.
And yet Cochran is purported to be not the greatest practice player but the better game player.

Reaction Score
How many players can be played before you determine that winning is not a priority. Obviously 50 is too many. Is 40 too many? Or do we have to go down into the mid 30's.

I'd worry more about cleaning up your squeaky clean image rather than worrying about how Diaco is doing at UConn.

Reaction Score
I'd worry more about cleaning up your squeaky clean image rather than worrying about how Diaco is doing at UConn.

Maybe Diaco's leaving addresses cleaning up our image. Is that the response you're looking for.

Reaction Score
@BNich

If you want to respond to what people are saying, it's best to quote them and respond to what they are actually saying.

What you're posting, is missing the mark. I don't see anyone who has refused to acknowledge the hole this program is in, and the process to climb out of it.

You're kidding right? Half the board has been complaining about the "process" which Diaco has talked about. I'm just trying to show/highlight what some of the big-time programs have overcome and endured on their path to national prominence. Excuse me for posting quotes from an article.

Reaction Score
How many players can be played before you determine that winning is not a priority. Obviously 50 is too many. Is 40 too many? Or do we have to go down into the mid 30's.

If winning is the priority, why is he only employing this strategy for the first 3 games? How many games must you see the players to really evaluate them? They get better by playing. Why not play them 6 instead of 3. Or 9 instead of 6? Why not use this whole season to evaluate?

Reaction Score
You're kidding right? Half the board has been complaining about the "process" which Diaco has talked about. I'm just trying to show/highlight what some of the big-time programs have overcome and endured on their path to national prominence. Excuse me for posting quotes from an article.

No, I'm not kidding. I think you're missing the point.

Reaction Score
Maybe Diaco's leaving addresses cleaning up our image. Is that the response you're looking for.

Yeah, Diaco clearly has an image problem. Unlike Brian Kelly, who's image and judgement is squeaky clean. Kelly only put a kid on a scissor lift 50 feet in the air with wind gusts over 50mph.

http://deadspin.com/5675694/prelude...re-dame-student-died-and-why-he-shouldnt-have

This man clearly improved the university's image.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-football/brian-kelly-is-apopleptic/

Reaction Score
HCBD was born a winner. He was coached by a winner, a motivator, and a great football coach. I love the things he has to say and the direction and goals he has for this program. If there are any naysayers, there is something wrong with you.
Do you want to start the list of coaching failures with the exact same pedigree? Better yet, start a list of coaches given their first HC job in D1 with the same pedigree that were wildly successful? The list is very short and includes a former Uconn coach who is not so successful right now.

Being a rousing success as a head coach in D1/BCS/P5 FB entails so many things beyond pedigree. You need support from the school, the fans, the boosters, the players, the recruiting pipeline, the media, etc. Where does BD and Uconn fall in terms of all the factors? Maybe 50% or 60% of the way there in my opinion which is what makes what he says, how he says it and what he projects even more important. From a fan perspective, from a recruiting perspective to the media's perspective. You love what he says, that's great. I'm not that easy right now.

And thanks for encouraging open discussion. My problem has always been thinking independently mixed in with bitter disappointment of unfulfilled coaching expectations. If that is what is wrong with me, I think I'll live with your disdain.

PS - How is someone born a winner? That implies others are born losers. I must have missed how that happens in biology class way back when. Does the doctor determine that at birth?

Reaction Score
Do you want to start the list of coaching failures with the exact same pedigree? Better yet, start a list of coaches given their first HC job in D1 with the same pedigree that were wildly successful? The list is very short and includes a former Uconn coach who is not so successful right now.

Being a rousing success as a head coach in D1/BCS/P5 FB entails so many things beyond pedigree. You need support from the school, the fans, the boosters, the players, the recruiting pipeline, the media, etc. Where does BD and Uconn fall in terms of all the factors? Maybe 50% or 60% of the way there in my opinion which is what makes what he says, how he says it and what he projects even more important. From a fan perspective, from a recruiting perspective to the media's perspective. You love what he says, that's great. I'm not that easy right now.

And thanks for encouraging open discussion. My problem has always been thinking independently mixed in with bitter disappointment of unfulfilled coaching expectations. If that is what is wrong with me, I think I'll live with your disdain.

PS - How is someone born a winner? That implies others are born losers. I must have missed how that happens in biology class way back when. Does the doctor determine that at birth?

If you feel so inclined be my guest. Just saying its helped some why won't it help here. It could be beneficial for a young team to get their feet underneath them. Just my perspective.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Diaco clearly has an image problem. Unlike Brian Kelly, who's image and judgement is squeaky clean. Kelly only put a kid on a scissor lift 50 feet in the air with wind gusts over 50mph.

http://deadspin.com/5675694/prelude...re-dame-student-died-and-why-he-shouldnt-have

This man clearly improved the university's image.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-football/brian-kelly-is-apopleptic/
Not to mention playing Prince Shembo who likely sexually assaulted and caused the suicide of Lizzy Seeberg. But as we all know, the South Bend and ND PD did as good a job on that investigation as the Tallahassee PD did with Jameis Winston.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The poster you are replying to here was moving the discussion forward. No need for the insult.

Reaction Score
If winning is the priority, why is he only employing this strategy for the first 3 games? How many games must you see the players to really evaluate them? They get better by playing. Why not play them 6 instead of 3. Or 9 instead of 6? Why not use this whole season to evaluate?

Evidently Diaco thinks three games is the number necessary. Why he thinks it's three versus six? I don't know, you'll have to ask him.

Reaction Score
Evidently Diaco thinks three games is the number necessary. Why he thinks it's three versus six? I don't know, you'll have to ask him.

Hypocrite

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
ibleedblue,
Are you really going to try and argue that coaches can't evaluate players based on practice? Despite the fact they've been doing it since there have been organized sports? Some folks surely go to extremes to defend their positions.

Supposedly last year Casey was a bad practice player - yet someone decided to evaluate him in a game situation as opposed to just practice, correct?

Maybe sometimes practice evaluation isnt enough - I dont know, I am not a football coach or scout, just a guy on a message board.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in UConn football.

My interest in UConn football is Diaco. I've met him a few times and thought he was a really nice guy. I wish him well, and would like to see UConn win a lot of games this year. I became a member here the day Diaco announced that he was going to UConn. I can see Diaco moving back to ND one day, so while I would like to see him be successful, it's honestly not for my love of UConn although I did have a niece that went there.

Reaction Score
Not to mention playing Prince Shembo who likely s e xually assaulted and caused the suicide of Lizzy Seeberg. But as we all know, the South Bend and ND PD did as good a job on that investigation as the Tallahassee PD did with Jameis Winston.

Just curious, do you know what Lizzy said that Shembo did?

Reaction Score
Just curious, do you know what Lizzy said that Shembo did?
Its called the internet. The stories are out there including some real extensive and detailed versions. Not the venue but feel good about defending ND and Shembo if you need to. Do you also support Jameis Winston?

Reaction Score
Its called the internet. The stories are out there including some real extensive and detailed versions. Not the venue but feel good about defending ND and Shembo if you need to. Do you also support Jameis Winston?

So I'll assume that means that the answer to my question was no, you don't know.

Reaction Score
What is the connection between those two posts that would make one, or the other hypocritical.

Ignore the obvious. Thank you for your interest in UConn Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom