HCBD Bleeds Winning | Page 3 | The Boneyard

HCBD Bleeds Winning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The obvious being that you don't know the definition of hypocrite.
The logic in my questions to you is the same as the logic in your questions to Jimmy.

You gave an answer to your own first question "obviously 50 is too many" but refused to give an answer to my question "ask Diaco".

Hypocrite.

And you've still refused to answer this question.

What are the first three games preparation for?

Reaction Score
Supposedly last year Casey was a bad practice player - yet someone decided to evaluate him in a game situation as opposed to just practice, correct?

Maybe sometimes practice evaluation isnt enough - I dont know, I am not a football coach or scout, just a guy on a message board.
Sure. It happens sometimes that guys are better in games than they show in practice. But it isn't the norm. Nobody put Casey in to evaluate him. They were simply desperate and had already tried the other two guys on the roster. In that case it worked out, but it isn't the way most guys earn playing time.

Reaction Score
The logic in my questions to you is the same as the logic in your questions to Jimmy.

You gave an answer to your own first question "obviously 50 is too many" but refused to give an answer to my question "ask Diaco".

Hypocrite.

And you've still refused to answer this question.

What are the first three games preparation for?

OK, as you might have read, I stated that Kelly at ND played 57 players in his first game this year. Diaco worked under Kelly or several years and probably feels that playing a large number of players is not a problem, and is actually a good thing. My comment about 50 being too many was based on another poster saying that playing 50 was a sign that Diaco wasn't interested in winning. My question being that if 50 was too many, what is an acceptable number? Is it 40? Is it mid 30's?

The question as to why is three games the number that should be used as preparation goes hand in hand with the question of how many players is an acceptable number in the first game. At some point you have to believe that the coach knows what he is doing. If you think he is clueless as to the number of players you are playing, and how to prepare for the season, then you obviously think UConn made a poor choice for coach.

I personally think they made a good choice.

Reaction Score
If winning is the priority, why is he only employing this strategy for the first 3 games? How many games must you see the players to really evaluate them? They get better by playing. Why not play them 6 instead of 3. Or 9 instead of 6? Why not use this whole season to evaluate?

The first three games are OOC games. Diaco, who coached his first game as a HC against BYU oviously wanted to win the game, but at the same time he hasn't seen the roster play in real live games. Diaco needs to evaluate the talent he has and how the players will respond to live games, his new system, and there coaching. The best way to do this is through live games, you can't see how players will react to certain situations in practices. It just doesn't work that way.

Question "WingU-Conn", do you believe this team was going to be one of the four teams in the playoffs? and possibly win the championship?

Bob Diaco knows that this team was not going to the playoffs or win a national championship this year or the next. He's a realist, like I am. He believes that we can possibly win the AAC conference so why not treat the first three games like a preseason game? rotating players and giving the back-ups playing time makes us a stronger, better team.

I'm sure he'll tighten up his rotations as these next couple of games come along. I think we will be a dangerous team in the AAC and they better watch out. We need to be patient and supportive. The wins will eventually come, but first he needs to build more than a program, he also needs to build a strong football team and that takes time.

Reaction Score
OK, as you might have read, I stated that Kelly at ND played 57 players in his first game this year. Diaco worked under Kelly or several years and probably feels that playing a large number of players is not a problem, and is actually a good thing. My comment about 50 being too many was based on another poster saying that playing 50 was a sign that Diaco wasn't interested in winning. My question being that if 50 was too many, what is an acceptable number? Is it 40? Is it mid 30's?

The question as to why is three games the number that should be used as preparation goes hand in hand with the question of how many players is an acceptable number in the first game. At some point you have to believe that the coach knows what he is doing. If you think he is clueless as to the number of players you are playing, and how to prepare for the season, then you obviously think UConn made a poor choice for coach.

I agree

Reaction Score
The first three games are OOC games. Diaco, who coached his first game as a HC against BYU oviously wanted to win the game, but at the same time he hasn't seen the roster play in real live games. Diaco needs to evaluate the talent he has and how the players will respond to live games, his new system, and there coaching. The best way to do this is through live games, you can't see how players will react to certain situations in practices. It just doesn't work that way.

Question "WingU-Conn", do you believe this team was going to be one of the four teams in the playoffs? and possibly win the championship?

Bob Diaco knows that this team was not going to the playoffs or win a national championship this year or the next. He's a realist, like I am. He believes that we can possibly win the AAC conference so why not treat the first three games like a preseason game? rotating players and giving the back-ups playing time makes us a stronger, better team.

I'm sure he'll tighten up his rotations as these next couple of games come along. I think we will be a dangerous team in the AAC and they better watch out. We need to be patient and supportive. The wins will eventually come, but first he needs to build more than a program, he also needs to build a strong football team and that takes time.

You should read what I wrote in the rest of the thread. Then get back to me. Pay special attention to my first three posts.

Reaction Score

Are you intentionally obtuse? Or do you still believe that his primary goal was winning Friday night?

Because if he's using the first three games "to prepare for the season". Then he's missing the fact that the season already started, or accepting the fact that he might be more likely to lose these early games as he develops and evaluates players for later in the season.

You can't have it both ways.

Reaction Score

Uh, ok. Sure. Playing 57 players in a blowout win against Rice is equivalent to playing 50 players (including quite a few freshmen) in the first half of a game against BYU where you are 17 point underdogs. I'd imagine most of the 57 players played in garbage time.

To answer you're question, in the first half of football you really shouldn't be playing more than 35 guys. Even that is high. To play 50 in the first half is just utterly ridiculous if you're trying to win that game. By the way, I'm fine with Diaco if his approach to this is long term. I may not agree with it, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If his idea of trying to win the game is playing 50 guys in the first half, then yes I think we have bigger problems.

Reaction Score
He's a realist, like I am. He believes that we can possibly win the AAC conference so why not treat the first three games like a preseason game?

Honest question: Can you call yourself a realist and say that?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Are you intentionally obtuse? Or do you still believe that his primary goal was winning Friday night?

Because if he's using the first three games "to prepare for the season". Then he's missing the fact that the season already started, or accepting the fact that he might be more likely to lose these early games as he develops and evaluates players for later in the season.

You can't have it both ways.

Is maximizing our chance of beating BYU more important than maximizing the # of wins this season?

Would you rather go 5-7 with a win over BYU OR 7-5 with a loss to BYU?

Reaction Score
Alright, I'm trying my damndest to bite my proverbial digital keyboard tongue on the field goal thing. I'll go philosophizer here to distract myself.

Based on the info I've gathered, I totally get what Diaco is doing I think, I'll try to put it as few words possible - don't hold your breaths - at this point.

Here's a question: What makes a person powerful? What makes a person respected? What is trust? Ok - it's three questions. Not 'a' question.

The answer is simple, it's the establishment of a fact, undeniably, that a person's words and actions match up. (this does not apply, to football coaches, speaking to the media. None of us should ever really trust what a football coach is saying in the media, and I think that is probably so far - that our young head coach, needs to speed up the learning curve on - the media's trust - is earned and shared in what the choose NOT to write, vs what they do report and write. But I digress.

What makes a guy like Saddam Hussein was? Powerful? The leadership of ISIS now? It's because when they say they are going to kill you, if you don't do something they want, they do actually kill you.

Diaco, made it very clear in the offseason that he found a football program that was divided. Coaches vs. players. That kind of environment doesn't really work well with 21st century football players. It's long gone. He's been working non-stop, to heal that, and build a program where everyone trusts each other, and trusts in their leader - and he's working to establish himself as that leader that people know proverbially here - lighten up everyone - if he says is going to kill you, is going to kill you.

It seems pretty clear to me, that the way he was set up his goals and stepwise achievement for this season, that there were things told to players about where, when, why and how they will play, prior to the game minimum, and most likely prior to the season, and Diaco is simply following through with that plan in game one. Chandler Whitmer's comments are what made it all click for me. He said something to the effect that it was difficult to be on the sideline to start the game, knowing that he would play, and wanted to contribute, but it was comfortable in knowing exactly when he would go in, and then he did go in.

Diaco, clearly, is earning the trust of his players, and establishing himself as their leader, because they can see and understand by his actions that what he says he is going to do, he is actually going to do. That's different than the coaching mess we had here in the past 3 seasons, and it's an effective way to build trust. My guess, is that if they're doing it with the QB position, they're doing the same thing every position group.

I think there needs to be a learning curve from everybody though, coaches and players, and that reviewing the BYU game, as a team, that players and coaches need to realize, that the trust step is there, and that the substitution patterns, can't be that strict anymore, in the flow of real game. It seems that would be the case, by what has been said about going into the Stony Brook, and again, if it's the case for the QB position, you'd hope that it's consistent through all the position groups.

Or maybe I just need a cocktail. Is it 5:00 yet?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Honest question: Can you call yourself a realist and say that?

Why can't we?

I don't see anyone like UCF or WVU in our way. We have the top teams at home. Why can't we win?

I doubt we can, but I would rather not thinking we can until we've played a few conference games.

Reaction Score
Is maximizing our chance of beating BYU more important than maximizing the # of wins this season?

Would you rather go 5-7 with a win over BYU OR 7-5 with a loss to BYU?

That's a false choice.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The premise of that article and this thread is kind of silly. I don't know of too many Head Coaches that don't want to win. It is a question of whether they have the energy/drive and ability to do it. Pasqualoni didn't have the energy and drive to win anymore when he got here, and there are some questions whether Diaco has the ability. If it was easy to do this, everyone would do it. We shall see.

Reaction Score
You should read what I wrote in the rest of the thread. Then get back to me. Pay special attention to my first three posts.

So what is your argument with IrishFan if he's making great points??

Reaction Score

Oh come on. Notre Dame played Rice and won 48-17 in a game that wasn't that close. think he's going to do the same thing this week vs Michigan? I think the answer is that there isn't a fixed number. Using 50 players in the first half against BYU shows that giving guys playing time was a higher priority than having your best team on the football field. When your up 38-10 midway through the 3rd quarter, as ND was, you can play all sorts of guys with little danger of it having an impact on outcome. If we are up 35-3 on Saturday, I really don't care if Diaco suits up the cheer squad and half the band in the 4th quarter As to the number of games, Diaco made a decision that there were other priorities than winning. I find that a very strange choice, since I subscribe more to the Parcells theory that if winning wasn't important they wouldn't have a score board. But at some point he has to make a transition from giving out pt to making winning games a priority. I think that should have been game 1. If you get beat you get beat with your best. I think you owe that to your team and you owe that to your fans and frankly you owe it to your opponent to put your best effort and your best team on the field every time you play.

One other thing. I like Diaco. I hope he turns out to be a terrific head coach. I hope this strange approach pays dividends down the line. I'm agnostic as to whether any of that happens though.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Oh come on. Notre Dame played Rice and won 48-17 in a game that wasn't that close. think he's going to do the same thing this week vs Michigan? I think the answer is that there isn't a fixed number. Using 50 players in the first half against BYU shows that giving guys playing time was a higher priority than having your best team on the football field. When your up 38-10 midway through the 3rd quarter, as ND was, you can play all sorts of guys with little danger of it having an impact on outcome. If we are up 35-3 on Saturday, I really don't care if Diaco suits up the cheer squad and half the band in the 4th quarter As to the number of games, Diaco made a decision that there were other priorities than winning. I find that a very strange choice, since I subscribe more to the Parcells theory that if winning wasn't important they wouldn't have a score board. But at some point he has to make a transition from giving out pt to making winning games a priority. I think that should have been game 1. If you get beat you get beat with your best. I think you owe that to your team and you owe that to your fans and frankly you owe it to your opponent to put your best effort and your best team on the field every time you play.

One other thing. I like Diaco. I hope he turns out to be a terrific head coach. I hope this strange approach pays dividends down the line. I'm agnostic as to whether any of that happens though.

I would feel better if you thought Diaco would fail just like you predicted failure from Ollie.

Reaction Score
I'm not opposed to Diaco's strategy. I'm opposed to him calling these "preparation games" and then having posters excoriate some of us for saying what we already know. That winning these games isn't his priority. If it were, nobody would have to defend the strategy.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
That's a false choice.

No. Maximizing winning for one game and maximizing the # of wins for the season is NOT a false choice.

A child would stomp their feet, hold their breath and want every thing, but diaco is in the real world and is working his process. I like it.

Reaction Score
So what is your argument with IrishFan if he's making great points??

1) He's not making great points
2) He's contradicting himself
3) He's pretending that this strategy, obviously not designed to win each game (or else Diaco would employ it for the whole season) is still designed to win games. Because irishfan's definition of trying to win is "not trying to lose".

Reaction Score
No. Maximizing winning for one game and maximizing the # of wins for the season is NOT a false choice.

A child would stomp their feet, hold their breath and want every thing, but diaco is in the real world and is working his process. I like it.

Your question was a false choice. You can play 50 plus players in the second half when the game was decided. You can throw it to Davis earlier than halfway through the 2nd quarter already down 21-0.

You don't know what our record would be if we played out the first game differently, so therefore, your question was a false choice. You cannot argue that Diaco's strategy is guaranteed to make us go 7-5, and that if he didn't take these first 3 games as preparation, we'd go 5-7. It's a false choice.

Regarding the nonce about a child stomping their feet, one of us is being petulant. Perhaps you read my first two posts in this thread and gain some perspective on my opinion on the matter.

Reaction Score

Well, somebody has now gone off the deep end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom