Hawkins injury update? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hawkins injury update?

Reaction Score
Huge difference between the words “soft” and “fragile”. “Soft” implies mental and emotional weakness. Not warranted in any player discussion. If you want to call a player fragile because they injure easily because of their physical makeup, fine.

Reaction Score
The pick that Kalkbrenner set was a legitimate basketball play. I seriously doubt coach McDermott intended any harm to our player by having his beanpole Center set a pick. I'm quite certain Jake Voskuhl set a number of similar picks, and he wasn't thin like Kalkbrenner. There was nothing egregious about this play, however, the combination of what happened to Hawkins in the previous game combined with this collision resulted in repeated trauma to his head. Certainly unfortunate, but not something that you would ever retaliate for.
How about this. Yes, a player has a right to set a legal pick. Maybe he also has some responsibility for the safety of other players on the floor. Is there a way he could have anticipated the contact and the potential injury, lessened the impact, and still draw the foul? If so, he should have done so. And for not doing so, retaliation is acceptable.

Reaction Score
Not to be picky, and I’m a lawyer and not a physicist, but I’m fairly certain that your theory is dead wrong as a matter of physics. The force of impact is what it is. And while it is lessened by one side being able to move away from the contact, that lessens the force of impact for both sides. There is no such thing as one side lessening the force of contact for it by moving backward without it lessening the force of contact for the other side as well.

What is true is that Kalkbrenner was prepared for handling the contact and Hawkins wasn’t.
He can lessen the shock to his body while keeping stiff at the point if impact. As someone who has played basketball, football, ice hockey and rugby and given and taken thousands of impacts, I can tell you it's an art that would seem counterintuitive to some of your assumptions because the body is not 1 solid brick and is impacted by angles, leverage and gravity. The one aspect that is most true is the fact that an unprepared athlete is at great risk in any collision. Always tried to use that against bigger guys.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm no physicist either and likely phrased it wrong, but what I was getting at was the effect on Kalkbrenner's balance, which seemed to be the point of the post to which I was responding, i.e., that Kalkbrenner was able to recover from it better that Hawkins.

My point was that because Kalkbrenner was expecting it, he was able to both brace for it and move his feet to absorb it and keep his balance; whereas Hawkins crumpled to the ground.
There’s a couple of things happening, the first is that Kaulkbrenner was prepared for it and braced himself while Hawk did not see it coming and the second is the difference in mass between the two of them. Many years ago I was on the beach talking with a buddy of mine and a girl chasing after a frisbee ran into me and hit me squarely in the chest. My buddy starts laughing because I didn’t move at all and she hit me and fell to the ground. I didn’t see it coming so, I wasn’t bracing myself, but she was pretty much half my weight. This is one of those cases where size matters.

Another way to think about it is think about how the impact was different for each of their brains in terms of change in velocity. Kaulk was standing still and then moved maybe a foot slowly. Hawkins was running at full speed in came to an abrupt stop. His brain kept moving forward just like a person keeps moving forward when a car stops abruptly.

Reaction Score
Any time wasted talking about how much bracing for impact the screener did is way too much (and I'm a guy who wastes a lot of time). Any time spent diving into the physics of it is a cry for help.

Reaction Score
An aware defender (Hawkins) should be using their peripheral vision to anticipate/sense a screen.. An aware teammate (Sanogo and others) should be calling out an anticipated screen. Neither happened. Kalkbrenner's screen was a nuisance screen-Just trying to give some space to the ballhandler to get over mid-court and get into an offensive set.

My guess-Kalkbrenner was as surprised as anyone that there was even contact on the screen. The ballhandler set Hawkins up. Part of the game.

Unfortunate for us/Hawkins. Hope he's back for BET.

Reaction Score
How about this. Yes, a player has a right to set a legal pick. Maybe he also has some responsibility for the safety of other players on the floor. Is there a way he could have anticipated the contact and the potential injury, lessened the impact, and still draw the foul? If so, he should have done so. And for not doing so, retaliation is acceptable.
No. The only way to lessen the impact would be to move backwards to reduce the force of impact, or to move out of the way.

The former would result in a "block" (moving pick) foul, the latter defeats the purpose.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I won’t call Hawkins soft but there are injuries that irk you a little more then others. For instance a baseball player getting hurt by rounding the bases.

In general people who get hurt by not paying attention is annoying as well
. I knew someone who hurt themselves tripping over a pallet, I felt bad but it’s like come on man watch where your going.
There were a couple of those in the last few games of last season:cool:

In this case of A Hawk - if there is any way that Hawk should have known what was going on behind him without having eyes in the back of his head, please let us all know.

Reaction Score
An aware defender (Hawkins) should be using their peripheral vision to anticipate/sense a screen.. An aware teammate (Sanogo and others) should be calling out an anticipated screen. Neither happened. Kalkbrenner's screen was a nuisance screen-Just trying to give some space to the ballhandler to get over mid-court and get into an offensive set.

My guess-Kalkbrenner was as surprised as anyone that there was even contact on the screen. The ballhandler set Hawkins up. Part of the game.

Unfortunate for us/Hawkins. Hope he's back for BET.

It's on Sanogo. When your man sets a pick, it's on you to call it out. Hawkins was, as he should have been, focused on staying in front of his man.

There is 0% chance Kalkbrenner was surprised. He did exactly what he was intending to do, set a great pick.

Saying he was surprised there was contact on a pick is like saying he was surprised to get wet after jumping in a pool.

Reaction Score
Let's be a little nicer to Hawkins. Without a PG or another shooter with college basketball experience next season he's going to need to score at least 16 per game for us.

Reaction Score
Let's be a little nicer to Hawkins. Without a PG or another shooter with college basketball experience next season he's going to need to score at least 16 per game for us.
He will next year and a few more games this year.

Reaction Score
Came to this thread hoping to find some info on Hawkin's condition, and instead find 4 pages of hot takes. So Boneyard.
I guess will find out tomorrow if he's suited up....I know privacy is protected on health issues, but I assume a beat reporter will at least ask the question what's his status going forward. Prediction...DH says "day to day"

Reaction Score
It's on Sanogo. When your man sets a pick, it's on you to call it out. Hawkins was, as he should have been, focused on staying in front of his man.

There is 0% chance Kalkbrenner was surprised. He did exactly what he was intending to do, set a great pick.

Saying he was surprised there was contact on a pick is like saying he was surprised to get wet after jumping in a pool.
Will just say we agree on Sanogo's responsibility as I had mentioned previously. Context-- Rarely do you see contact on picks in the backcourt vs in the frontcourt running offensive sets. It was a great pick set up by the ballhandler.

Peripheral vision is an asset for a defender. Tough to miss a 7'2" dude alone in the middle of the floor- I'll leave it at that and hope Hawk can do his thing for the team by the start of the BET. His contributions are invaluable to our future successes.

Reaction Score
No. The only way to lessen the impact would be to move backwards to reduce the force of impact, or to move out of the way.

The former would result in a "block" (moving pick) foul, the latter defeats the purpose.
Hong Kong Phooey. Players get knocked over all the time due to charges. Haven't you ever seen Shane Floppier play? He could just as easily let the impact knock him backwards. In fact, watch Kalk actually lean forward in anticipation of contact. He had to move forward in order to not get knocked backwards.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No it's not. They commit the 4th fewest fouls by rate of any team in the entire country.

Hawkins was high pressure, full court pressing their 3rd string PG. They set the screen to free him up and make it easier to get up court. The goal wasn't even necessarily to make contact, but to peel the defender off their guy.

Our injuries were on a legal screen used by every team when facing full court ball pressure, a knee to a groin on a totally normal offensive move, a self inflicted hand injury while attempting to steal a ball, and jammed on the ball on a rebound.
All this and also Sanogo shouldve been persona non grata in locker room after game. That was his call. In fairness to Adama, that stuff happens, everyone makes mistakes, but it can only happen once, you learn in a hurry to call out screens to protect teammates.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If anyone wants to understand narcissistic behavior that post sums it up it a nutshell. As long as @tzznandrew reads it I'm content.

FVzsfsU.gif

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes. Terrible of him to put his neck in the way of McHale's arm.....
Yeah! He totally neck butted him!

(If I recall correctly Rambis was committing any number of in game atrocities, as was his habit. To Chief’s point, this foul was a message, what goes around comes around.)

CL82

Reaction Score
For those looking for an update…

Gilbert signed his first professional contract with Parnu Sadam, a club located in Estonia, and joined the team in mid-January.

The KML, the top league in Estonia, was already in full swing by the time Gilbert joined, but he’s already made a major impact for a team with a 25-9 record and currently in second place in the league standings. Gilbert has taken over the starting point guard role and averaged 12.7 points, 3.0 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.0 steals in his first six games with the team.

Gilbert is coming off his best game to date, finishing with 15 points, four rebounds, six assists and five steals in Parnu Sadam’s 94-79 win over Ventspils last Wednesday.

Link to Feb 28, article

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Those looking for an update Gilbert has signed his first professional contract with Parnu Sadam, a club located in Estonia, and joined the team in mid-January.

The KML, the top league in Estonia, was already in full swing by the time Gilbert joined, but he’s already made a major impact for a team with a 25-9 record and currently in second place in the league standings. Gilbert has taken over the starting point guard role and averaged 12.7 points, 3.0 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.0 steals in his first six games with the team.

Gilbert is coming off his best game to date, finishing with 15 points, four rebounds, six assists and five steals in Parnu Sadam’s 94-79 win over Ventspils last Wednesday.

Link

We couldve used him this year to give cole a blow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom