Hawkins injury update? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hawkins injury update?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Head stuff is no joke. PCS sometimes doesn’t go away or takes a long time. Guys I played youth and high school football with are struggling neurologically now later in life. Something that we should take extreme precaution with given this is 2 games in a row now.
' Something that we should take extreme precaution extra aspirin with given this is 2 games in a row now.'
ftfy.
mr hawkins seems to have a propensity to run into walls, or fall down and go boom, in his exuberance to try as hard as he can. he'll eventually figger out that it's a long season, and he can't make all the games until he stops doing that. nothing much going on for the next week or so- give him a juice box, and let him chillax a bit with some cartoons, pizza, and ibu, and we'll see him when we see him.
mebbe make him write a 100 times on the blackboard,
'i will stop running into walls, sticking my hands where only bad things can happen, and look around more.' i mean, that's why folks go to college, to get educated an all that.

Reaction Score
I am embarrassed to admit that I fell asleep in the recliner before Hawk got injured and didn‘t wake up until there were like three minutes left in the game (hey, I was up early and had a long day!).

In any event, I have not seen the collision or any of the aftermath. If anyone is aware of any video I would appreciate it. Thanks.
The play was nothing out of the ordinary. Their big set a screen as they were bringing the ball upcourt and Hawkins ran right into his chest. The collision wasn't even all that hard. Hawkins looked very wobbly afterwards. Probably the result of that play in conjunction with what took place in the Nova game.

Reaction Score
The play was nothing out of the ordinary. Their big set a screen as they were bringing the ball upcourt and Hawkins ran right into his chest. The collision wasn't even all that hard. Hawkins looked very wobbly afterwards. Probably the result of that play in conjunction with what took place in the Nova game.
Yeah, that's what scares me. The collision didn't look severe to me whatsoever. If his brain can't handle that impact, that's not a good sign for the future.

Reaction Score
Hawkins, unfortunately, is one of the least physically-ready players we've had in a while.

Last night's play wasn't his fault, but he really struggles with the physicality of the game, a number of "men vs. boys" moments this year with him on the wrong end.

Reaction Score
Hawkins, unfortunately, is one of the least physically-ready players we've had in a while.

Last night's play wasn't his fault, but he really struggles with the physicality of the game, a number of "men vs. boys" moments this year with him on the wrong end.

I can name 2 kids currently on our roster that aren't physically ready. This is all sorts of hyperbole.

Yeah, the kid needs to gain some strength. Plenty of freshman do. Up until last night, he had been rebounding and defending much better than a few months ago.

Reaction Score

Have you heard of Akok Akok? He's still not physically ready. Hawk just had a very aggressive dunk over Mohammad from GTown who is no slouch. I'd say Hawk is coming along just fine and will have a ton of physical improvement from this year to next.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I mean, did you see him dunk through contact this past weekend?

Reaction Score
Have you heard of Akok Akok? He's still not physically ready. Hawk just had a very aggressive dunk over Mohammad from GTown who is no slouch. I'd say Hawk is coming along just fine and will have a ton of physical improvement from this year to next.
The dunk was awesome and he's improved tremendously on defense. He's really physically weak now, once he gains weight/gets stronger and improves his handle he can become a star.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
if u watch closely, a funny thing happened on the way to that dunk.
he rose up an extra notch. not common in the vast majority of ballers.
watch again, right near the end. at one point, ur eyes think he's done going up, buuuuuttttttt noooooo! there was still a bit more to come.
unusual. special. i think that he'll learn to bottle it, and sell it at the right time. tasty.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Here's the play: Go to 21:23 if it's not timestamped

Looks like a freak accident. Mt take is pretty close to that of Huskybass. It's hard to imagine there being a concussion as Hawkins' head appears to make impact with Kalkbrenner's chest rather than say an elbow, and Hawkins was just starting to break into stride when the collision occurred. My guess is that he might possibly have some neck soreness, and hopefully it's nothing serious.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i think that the scientific term, backed by reems of data and deep dive metric anaylsis, is 'he got his bell rung.' i don't expect some here to be familiar, as im certain they never got their bell rung. no one ever goes to their house, not even the jehovahs or politicians looking for a vote, and amazon has them on the 'do not deliver' list, while the mail person just tosses the letters on their lawn.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The dunk was awesome and he's improved tremendously on defense. He's really physically weak now, once he gains weight/gets stronger and improves his handle he can become a star.

He definitely needs to get stronger, but I was responding to the post that called him one of the physically weakest players we had in years.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
My completely non-medical with no actual information on his health assessment puts him at 0% chance of playing against DePaul and wouldn't be surprised if he sits out the BET too.

Twice in a four day period he's had his bell rung hard enough to be wobbly.
Good news!

His kidneys are still beating.

Reaction Score
Looks like a freak accident. Mt take is pretty close to that of Huskybass. It's hard to imagine there being a concussion as Hawkins' head appears to make impact with Kalkbrenner's chest rather than say an elbow, and Hawkins was just starting to break into stride when the collision occurred. My guess is that he might possibly have some neck soreness, and hopefully it's nothing serious.
You can get a concussion from a whiplash.

Reaction Score
You're acting like it was Hawkins's decision not to play. James Doran sits on the bench. I highly doubt he was letting Hawkins go back in and play. Maybe 20 years ago. But not these days.
Why in the world would you take flak just for saying that fighting through potential brain injuries is a matter of toughness?

Good grief
Ryan Kalkbrenner is 7'1" 256 pounds Jordan Hawkins is 6'5" 6'5" 175 lbs. A dude 80 lbs bigger than Hawkins levels him and Hawk is soft? Cmon man
No one can really control getting a concussion. Either he has one or doesn’t and if he does, there is a protocol he will need to go through before they put him back out on the floor. This doesn’t make him soft.
Alright everyone. I apologize. Hawkins is the man and I'm ignorant on concussion science/protocol.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Has he even been diagnosed with a concussion yet?

Might have just been a precautionary benching on Hurley's part

Reaction Score
Has he even been diagnosed with a concussion yet?

Might have just been a precautionary benching on Hurley's part
I don't think Hurley makes those calls. That's James Doran and the medical staff's job. That's why Doran sits on the bench.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I don't think it's hard at all to imagine there being a concussion, much less is there any basis to call him soft.

It's not just the initial contact with the sternum--which is definitely enough in and of itself to cause a concussion--but the possible second impact when the head snaps back and the brain hits the other side of the skull.

I do think a lot of people are pretty ignorant about how concussions happen.

As @HuskyPride87 notes, he either has one or he doesn't and it won't be his choice about how long he is out. If he has symptoms, he won't play.

He could also be fine.
The part about the brain whacking against the side of the skull isn't something I thought of. Something else I did notice when looking at the play is that strangely or surprisingly, the lanky Kalkbrenner appears totally oblivious. I'm pretty sure if a man just starting to break stride, speared my sternum or chest with his head, it would hurt. He shows zero reaction. :confused:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You're acting like it was Hawkins's decision not to play. James Doran sits on the bench. I highly doubt he was letting Hawkins go back in and play. Maybe 20 years ago. But not these days.
Hawkins is anything but soft, his first instinct after getting up was to act like he was still fine to play and not come out. But he was teetering like he just took a few Marvin Hagler hooks . I didn’t like his gait and I’m worried about him . I’d be shocked and pleasantly surprised to see him before NCAA’s. and even that is iffy.

Reaction Score
Many players have run into a pick like that. The prior head shot against Hawk in the Georgetown game must have still not healed and the sudden stop from the pick jolted him again. Hawk was trying to power through. I give credit to the ref who saw he was off and blew his whistle and got Hawk some help. For some reason concussions seem to have more lasting symptoms these days.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom