OT: - Have any of you had a kid that applied to......Duke? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Have any of you had a kid that applied to......Duke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speaking of Stanford and UVA, the valedictorian of my son's class applied to Stanford because both of her parents went there. Even with the legacy she still didn't get in and she ended up going to UVA. Also, two daughters of a good friend of mine are both at UVA and they love it.
IIRC Stanford is the most difficult undergrad acceptance in the country, i.e., it's the most selective. And it's beautiful and awesome. If your kid gets in there, s/he goes. Period.

UVA is also beautiful and a great school. Tough to be accepted from out of state, but nothing like Stanford.

As for the OP, I'd be fine if one of my kids was interested in Duke. I doubt it would be the case, but it would be the least of my worries if it was on the list for one of them.

Reaction Score
Have to say I was disappointed in Vandy when we visited. UVa on the other hand was a favorite.
Yeah, I doubt Vandy will make the final cut when it comes time to filling out applications but that will depend on how he likes his visit there. The problem with out-of-state state schools is that the financial aid package is usually not as good as the top private schools with big endowments. My older son got into some good state school schools but he ended up at an Ivy because it was both cheaper and a better option. UVa was not one of the schools he applied to, however, so it might be better for financial aid than the ones he did apply to (Illinois, Purdue, Ga Tech, Penn State). If the younger one was to apply to an out of state school, the ones that are currently under consideration are Washington and UNC with Pitt as a wildcard due to its BS/MD program. I think Pitt is known for better financial aid than most. But it isn't a great school overall so, if he decides to drop the MD idea, he may have to transfer out of there, which sucks.

Reaction Score
It was pretty easy for me because I went to Loomis as a boarding student so I was already used to being without my folks around all the time and knowing how to study, etc. I was also really independent to begin with. When I was 17 I flew out to LA by myself to make the final decision between Oxi and Pomona. It was a big challenge for a lot of people around me. My roommate didn't make it through the year.

I wouldn't change it for me. I loved it. But your mileage may vary. It really depends on your kid and how well they cope in new situations, get along with new people, can rely on themselves, have some semblance of self control, etc.
Yeah, the problem is, you don't know how a kid will respond until they get into the situation. I guess, if he really thinks he will like it, you give it a shot and transfer if it doesn't work out.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm prepping my 7th grader now. I told him I would be extremely proud of him for getting into Puke, but in no way, shape or form should he bring me home anything with their name or logo. I will not wear it. The same went for BC. For 'cuse I left out the proud part and just said don't bring me home any of their crap.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Remember the time North Carolina dudes tea bagged reggie love when he passed out at a frat? Good times.
If they have an Arby's August has been there.
So UNC and Arby's comes up in the same thread giving me the opportunity to post that I have a ticket from the Ladysmith Black Mambazo concert I attended last night at the Diana Wortham Theatre in Asheville.

They're an acapella group from South Africa (hence UNC reference). Tickets were $50 apiece. The Diana Wortham Theatre is a cultural theatre with really good performances but they've outdone themselves by placing on the backs of tickets an Arby's coupon for a "Free Roast Beef Classic Sandwich with the purchase of any sandwich at equal or greater value".

My wife wondered why I laughed when I saw that coupon. If you'd like me to mail you the ticket August give me a pm.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm prepping my 7th grader now. I told him I would be extremely proud of him for getting into Puke, but in no way, shape or form should he bring me home anything with their name or logo. I will not wear it. The same went for BC. For 'cuse I left out the proud part and just said don't bring me home any of their crap.

Agree about BC and Duke. My daughter wants communications and Syracuse has one of the best in the country so I'd have to be proud, but I'm safe for now because she didn't apply for undergrad and is keeping it in view for masters instead down the road.
Yeah, I doubt Vandy will make the final cut when it comes time to filling out applications but that will depend on how he likes his visit there. The problem with out-of-state state schools is that the financial aid package is usually not as good as the top private schools with big endowments. My older son got into some good state school schools but he ended up at an Ivy because it was both cheaper and a better option. UVa was not one of the schools he applied to, however, so it might be better for financial aid than the ones he did apply to (Illinois, Purdue, Ga Tech, Penn State). If the younger one was to apply to an out of state school, the ones that are currently under consideration are Washington and UNC with Pitt as a wildcard due to its BS/MD program. I think Pitt is known for better financial aid than most. But it isn't a great school overall so, if he decides to drop the MD idea, he may have to transfer out of there, which sucks.

It's no Ivy, but Pitt is no slouch as a university, either. It's surprisingly high on my daughter's remaining list right now and we are visiting to check it out in a few weeks for an accepted student open house. It's one of only a couple schools to which she applied sight unseen, mostly out of curiosity about the city. If she was a STEM student it would probably be a no-brainer, as it's very strong and incredibly accomplished in those fields going back literally hundreds of years.

She was also accepted to UConn (among others) but I can see many advantages for her to see what Pittsburgh offers instead. I've been reading up on the school and have been impressed; I also know a few alumni and they are really smart, happy, successful and independent people, so that's made me even more curious. She knows a current student from our town who loves it, so of course that has made her more curious.

Coincidentally, it looks like we're going to be there for opening day at PNC Park, so that's a bonus to be able to check that out. I've only been to the city twice before, for work almost twenty years ago, and I didn't make it to the ballpark. I did like what I saw of the city though, and apparently it's been on a bit of a boom in recent years--primarily based on its reputation as a great place to live. That's a big factor for me, as I'd like her to experience other places that may provide more opportunity for her than CT. I don't know if you can say the same about the others you list (Illinois, Purdue, Ga Tech, Penn State).

Reaction Score
Agree about BC and Duke. My daughter wants communications and Syracuse has one of the best in the country so I'd have to be proud, but I'm safe for now because she didn't apply for undergrad and is keeping it in view for masters instead down the road.

It's no Ivy, but Pitt is no slouch as a university, either. It's surprisingly high on my daughter's remaining list right now and we are visiting to check it out in a few weeks for an accepted student open house. It's one of only a couple schools to which she applied sight unseen, mostly out of curiosity about the city. If she was a STEM student it would probably be a no-brainer, as it's very strong and incredibly accomplished in those fields going back literally hundreds of years.

She was also accepted to UConn (among others) but I can see many advantages for her to see what Pittsburgh offers instead. I've been reading up on the school and have been impressed; I also know a few alumni and they are really smart, happy, successful and independent people, so that's made me even more curious. She knows a current student from our town who loves it, so of course that has made her more curious.

Coincidentally, it looks like we're going to be there for opening day at PNC Park, so that's a bonus to be able to check that out. I've only been to the city twice before, for work almost twenty years ago, and I didn't make it to the ballpark. I did like what I saw of the city though, and apparently it's been on a bit of a boom in recent years--primarily based on its reputation as a great place to live. That's a big factor for me, as I'd like her to experience other places that may provide more opportunity for her than CT. I don't know if you can say the same about the others you list (Illinois, Purdue, Ga Tech, Penn State).
Pitt, like a lot of other similar schools, can be great choices for specific kids. The main thing I learned with child #1 is that you have to base an evaluation of the academics on the fields that the kid is potentially interested in and not some generic all encompassing rating. Some schools are pretty good overall but great in a few things and those could be the things that matter to the kid. But you can't get too focused either as they may change their major (mine did) so you have to look at all the potential majors they are interested in. I knew child #1 was going into an engineering field but I knew that he might change his mind on which one exactly when he got there. So we compiled a list of schools that were strong in the major he thought he wanted and narrowed it down based on the schools that were good in engineering in general, just in case. Child #2 is proving to be tougher as he thinks he wants pre-med but he doesn't know what to major in exactly. Maybe physics, maybe something like kinesiology or exercise science, maybe something completely different.

Reaction Score
It was pretty easy for me because I went to Loomis as a boarding student so I was already used to being without my folks around all the time and knowing how to study, etc. I was also really independent to begin with. When I was 17 I flew out to LA by myself to make the final decision between Oxi and Pomona. It was a big challenge for a lot of people around me. My roommate didn't make it through the year.

I wouldn't change it for me. I loved it. But your mileage may vary. It really depends on your kid and how well they cope in new situations, get along with new people, can rely on themselves, have some semblance of self control, etc.
Another question about Pomona. I found some data on political leanings of various colleges and there is also information out there about free speech policies. It looks like Pomona is more balanced than most schools. Did you find that to be true?

Reaction Score
Daughter currently waiting for her decision from Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest in NC. She has already gotten into UConn, BC, Villanova, UMD, and UVA. Also waiting on Georgetown, Vandy, and Ivy's. I am pushing for UConn though of course.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Basically, looking at schools with good pre-med programs and good financial aid. Pomona appeared to be the best west coast liberal arts option. He is not set on an actual major but likes Physics as one possibility. I like the Claremont schools due to the ability to take classes at the sister schools like Harvey Mudd for Physics. One interesting option that popped up is Rice. Another major that interests him is exercise science or Kinesiology and Rice is one of the best schools that offers it. It may be a little too hot though as he likes to run.

Rice is excellent. But honestly, for any kid who is pre-anything (med or law) I'd say, save the cash and go public. Get good grades there, and do the grad work at Duke or similar. Of course if you get a good scholarship offer, that changes things.
Have you looked at Vanderbilt? Nashville has a similar climate, and it's a little less D-baggy than Duke.

Reaction Score
Not compared to Stanford. ;)
Believe it or not, when you include international students, there are more at Duke than Stanford. They are both very high, mind you, but Duke actually has more.

Reaction Score
Rice is excellent. But honestly, for any kid who is pre-anything (med or law) I'd say, save the cash and go public. Get good grades there, and do the grad work at Duke or similar. Of course if you get a good scholarship offer, that changes things.
Have you looked at Vanderbilt? Nashville has a similar climate, and it's a little less D-baggy than Duke.
I loathe the idea of a trip to Houston this summer but Rice is compelling enough to justify a visit. And we do have Stony Brook on the list. I wish we lived in a state with better state schools but Stony Brook is still decent and, yes, WAY cheaper. Stony Brook also has a BS/MD program and their med school is rated slightly higher than UConn's which is already pretty high.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I loathe the idea of a trip to Houston this summer but Rice is compelling enough to justify a visit. And we do have Stony Brook on the list. I wish we lived in a state with better state schools but Stony Brook is still decent and, yes, WAY cheaper. Stony Brook also has a BS/MD program and their med school is rated slightly higher than UConn's which is already pretty high.
Beware of class size and course availability at Stony Brook. IIRC from my research, they had well above average class size, and below average 4-year graduation rates, reportedly due in large part to the difficulty enrolling in the courses required to graduate.

Reaction Score
We are compiling a list of potential schools for the younger son. As the list of factors grows, so does the relative appeal of Dook. But, man, it is tough to imagine one of my kids wearing a Dook sweatshirt. Has anyone else already been down this road? How did it turn out?
We all have kids that underachieve. Maybe have a heart to heart with your kid.
That might motivate him to do better.

Reaction Score
I've heard the USMA or the USNA both have very generous financial aid.

I saw Washington mentioned in a previous post. Was that Washington University?
If not, based on the schools being thrown out, would be surprised that isn't on the list.

Reaction Score
Daughter currently waiting for her decision from Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest in NC. She has already gotten into UConn, BC, Villanova, UMD, and UVA. Also waiting on Georgetown, Vandy, and Ivy's. I am pushing for UConn though of course.
How many schools did your daughter apply to?!?! I was thinking 10 is already a lot to manage.

Reaction Score
I've heard the USMA or the USNA both have very generous financial aid.

I saw Washington mentioned in a previous post. Was that Washington University?
If not, based on the schools being thrown out, would be surprised that isn't on the list.

He would probably be OK with an academy. His mother, not so much. He will do Boy's State this summer. We'll see how he likes that. As for strength and conditioning, he could jump into Seal training tomorrow and do fine. Not sure if he will like taking orders.

If you are talking about WUSTL, yes, we are looking at it but I was actually talking about The University of Washington. Very good STEM and pre-med there. But, of course, very expensive for out-of-state.

Reaction Score
How many schools did your daughter apply to?!?! I was thinking 10 is already a lot to manage.
That's pretty much the norm these days. I think my son applied to 11 schools. My opinion is it's worth applying to a bunch of schools that you at least have some interest in. You just have no idea what some of these schools are looking for and especially at the smaller schools it seems to be a crapshoot. His top three choices were very similar schools with almost identical acceptance stats and he got into 2 and didn't get in to 1. Might as well give yourself more chances to get accepted.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Another question about Pomona. I found some data on political leanings of various colleges and there is also information out there about free speech policies. It looks like Pomona is more balanced than most schools. Did you find that to be true?
Honestly, it's one of the things I really liked about Pomona - it was pretty neutral when it came to politics. Same with any racial, social or gender issues. By the time I was going to college my family was pretty well off, but my dad grew up in Charter Oak Terrace in Hartford in the 30s and 40s, so diversity wasn't exactly practiced in my house. Going to a diverse and open minded college was eye opening in a very good way. It's a liberal arts college so you know it's generally going to lean pretty well left, but it wasn't overwhelming. It did take me a couple of decades to establish a more centric view of things.

Reaction Score
Hope he gets into Stanford. That place is impossible to get into. My son went to a pretty good public school that sends multiple kids to Ivies every year. It's a good school. In the last 10 years 41 kids have applied to Stanford. Not a single one got in despite lots of kids getting into Harvard, Princeton, etc. I have no idea what they're looking for.

It is the toughest school the country to get into. My granddaughter applied to Harvard, Penn and Notre Dame among other highly ranked schools, but thought Stanford was out of her league and although it was her dream school she never applied knowing that she just couldn't get in.

C

chiller99.5

Living in NC my kids were both involved in the TIP program Duke offers and did that for a few years each.The cost is prohibitive to say the least, my PCP who is a Duke grad couldnt justify keeping her daughters there. My oldest moved on through that program more into ROTC and became a Capt in the Army, the younger had good athletic skills and liked the academics at Campbell and the football program...lucky for me

Reaction Score
17 schools. I looked at it as an investment. Basically I can now use those schools financial offers against each other and negotiate for more financial aid. Sure, it costs some $'s to apply to 17 schools, but if that gets me another $10K from a school for negotiating, that is money well spent. So far, she is 5 for 5 from schools she applied to and she should get into at least another 6 of the 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom