OT: - Have any of you had a kid that applied to......Duke? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Have any of you had a kid that applied to......Duke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lady I used to work with's son went to Duke and rooted for UConn during the 2004 NCAA. Never missed a beat.

He ended up going to UConn Law so balanced out. Sounds like a great school and that area is great in general
Sounds like my son. Do I know you? Did he also go to Xavier HS?

Reaction Score
Pomona is on the list. I was surprised to find out how much more the climate swings there versus, say, in Westwood. It isn't that far inland but the climate is quite different. And it would be tough to have him that far away. He is also looking at Stanford. We will be headed out to CA this summer to check it out. I have been there. I know he will love it. We are also torn on this one due to the distance. Head says great. Heart will miss him. His brother is already killing us with an internship in the LA area this summer.
Hope he gets into Stanford. That place is impossible to get into. My son went to a pretty good public school that sends multiple kids to Ivies every year. It's a good school. In the last 10 years 41 kids have applied to Stanford. Not a single one got in despite lots of kids getting into Harvard, Princeton, etc. I have no idea what they're looking for.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If any of my kids wanted to go there and had the opportunity due to grades, etc (2 of 3 did) I would not and could not stop them
BUT they were all brought up UConn fans and happy to say the thought NEVER crossed their mind
Thank God

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I applied coming out of high school in 2011. Went through the process and about 2 months after I applied, I had an interview in Charlotte with a Duke alumnus. Didn't wind up getting in but the process itself isn't that much different than anything you'd experience at any other top flight institution. I will say it would definitely help to know someone that is an alumnus to write your letters of rec though.

Reaction Score
Played against both Carolina and Duke in college (lacrosse). The Duke guys were entitled tools, Carolina guys just the opposite.

The vast majority of Duke alums I've met, whether professionally or personally, have been massive d-bags. Must be something in the water down there. When I think of Duke people I think of Stephen Miller as Ex. A. That being said, I do know three alums who are great people, including a former basketball player.

More broadly, that anyone's sports fandom would enter into this equation at all is mind-boggling. If it's the best school he gets into, go there.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
We are compiling a list of potential schools for the younger son. As the list of factors grows, so does the relative appeal of Dook. But, man, it is tough to imagine one of my kids wearing a Dook sweatshirt. Has anyone else already been down this road? How did it turn out?

He should go, and breed with their women. In two, maybe three generations, they'll all be rooting for the huskies.

Reaction Score
The vast majority of Duke alums I've met, whether professionally or personally, have been massive d-bags. Must be something in the water down there. When I think of Duke people I think of Stephen Miller as Ex. A. That being said, I do know three alums who are great people, including a former basketball player.

More broadly, that anyone's sports fandom would enter into this equation at all is mind-boggling. If it's the best school he gets into, go there.
I've had similar experiences, a few nerdy d-bags but also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and a basketball player, Reggie Love.....good dude. Met Duhon and had to rub the 2004 victory in a little bit.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

The ultimate in the world is a dookie Are you familiar with Tucker Max?

August_West

Reaction Score
I've had similar experiences, a few nerdy d-bags but also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and a basketball player, Reggie Love.....good dude. Met Duhon and had to rub the 2004 victory in a little bit.
Remember the time North Carolina dudes tea bagged reggie love when he passed out at a frat? Good times.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yikes, thought you were kidding. I never saw the humor in that sort of stuff. Reminds me of the disturbing video of the Alabama fan assaulting the passed out LSU fan.

Well I mean it's s bit crude. But if you are a dookie passing out in a North Carolina frat he's lucky it wasn't worse.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Pomona is on the list. I was surprised to find out how much more the climate swings there versus, say, in Westwood. It isn't that far inland but the climate is quite different. And it would be tough to have him that far away. He is also looking at Stanford. We will be headed out to CA this summer to check it out. I have been there. I know he will love it. We are also torn on this one due to the distance. Head says great. Heart will miss him. His brother is already killing us with an internship in the LA area this summer.
I went to Pomona (when Gregg Popovich was our basketball coach - for real) and still live in LA. Things are certainly different than when I went there, but it's one of if not the best small liberal arts schools in the country. Westwood is much closer to the ocean so that's why the swings are less. 40+ miles makes a big difference. Malibu to Agoura Hills is less than 15 miles and the temperature difference can easily be more than 30 degrees in the summer (like 68 to 105). But compared to CT, Claremont, CA is pretty awesome all year round. The downtown (called Clareville) is really cool - make sure you check it out when you visit. I would imagine if Pomona is on your list, you are also going to see Claremont McKenna and Occidental, although Occidentals surroundings aren't nearly as nice. Probably wouldn't hurt to put Pepperdine on the list as well. I would say the most gorgeous college campus in the country if you (he) are (is) OK with the very Christian focus of the school. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about Pomona and/or Claremont. I would guess that @Gurleyman could provide even more relevant information than I can.

August_West

Reaction Score
I went to Pomona (when Gregg Popovich was our basketball coach - for real) and still live in LA. Things are certainly different than when I went there, but it's one of if not the best small liberal arts schools in the country. Westwood is much closer to the ocean so that's why the swings are less. 40+ miles makes a big difference. Malibu to Agoura Hills is less than 15 miles and the temperature difference can easily be more than 30 degrees in the summer (like 68 to 105). But compared to CT, Claremont, CA is pretty awesome all year round. The downtown (called Clareville) is really cool - make sure you check it out when you visit. I would imagine if Pomona is on your list, you are also going to see Claremont McKenna and Occidental, although Occidentals surroundings aren't nearly as nice. Probably wouldn't hurt to put Pepperdine on the list as well. I would say the most gorgeous college campus in the country if you (he) are (is) OK with the very Christian focus of the school. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about Pomona and/or Claremont. I would guess that @Gurleyman could provide even more relevant information than I can.

Pepperdine is gorgeous. I used to work down the road at the J Paul Getty art museum . At the time I was living deep in the valley ( chatsworth ) and you are not kidding about the temp swings when you get through topagna canyon into the valley. The valley was Hades.

Reaction Score
If they have an Arby's August has been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom