OT: - Hats off to Tom Brady | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Hats off to Tom Brady

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Craziest part is I'm sure Brady will be the favorite to win again next year, Tampa is absolutely loaded.
I read this morning that the Chiefs are the favorites for next year, followed by Tampa and Green Bay.

Reaction Score
I read this morning that the Chiefs are the favorites for next year, followed by Tampa and Green Bay.
Every here knows to put your money on Br8dy. An investment on that man is never a bad one.

Reaction Score
I am not a Brady fan. Been a life long Giants fan. I was rooting for the Pats against the Bears. The only Super Bowl he played in that I wanted the Patriots to win was the first one and mainly because of Tebucky Jones being on the team. Brady's preparation and understanding of the game so that he rarely makes mistakes are his keys to success. Then he consistently makes accurate throws. The TD to Antonio Brown was amazingly accurate. Brady's workout nutrition regime keep him looking like he is not aging. Another thing he he has done his whole career is not take many hits. For him to go from the Pats and wind up on a team that protected him quite well was a great business decision. It takes some luck too for your O-line to stay healthy. If Brady had KC's offensive line yesterday with his current state of mobility and had to face Tampa's D he would be announcing his retirement today.

Reaction Score
That interception was a game changer. Let's face it. Whether it was the refs or bad defensive plays, he's one lucky sob.

Reaction Score
Calvin Johnson just got in. Really, he had 3 maybe 4 "HOF" caliber years. For 3 seasons (2011-12-13) he was uncoverable. Pretty routine otherwise. Almost like Don Mattingly's stats in baseball. Generally, I think the Football HOF is pretty squishy on the "guidelines" to get in.
Speaking of Calvin Johnson another one of those things that I find “interesting “.

from peter king's column this morning

• April 2000. Tom Brady drafted by the Patriots. Calvin Johnson is in eighth grade in Tyrone, Ga.

• February 2002. Brady wins his first Super Bowl in New England. Johnson’s midway through his sophomore year in high school.

• January 2004. Brady on his way to his second Super Bowl title. Johnson, a wide receiver, commits to Georgia Tech.

• April 2007. Brady about to embark on his first MVP season, and the Patriots’ 16-0 regular season. Johnson drafted second overall by Detroit.

• February 2012. Brady plays in his fifth Super Bowl, losing to the Giants. Johnson sets an NFL single-season record with 1,964 receiving yards.

• March 2016. Brady, coming off a season with a league-leading 36 TD passes, says he’ll play into his forties. Johnson, 30, announces his retirement after nine seasons.

• November 2016. Brady en route to fifth Super Bowl title at 39. Johnson and partner Lindsay Arnold finish third in Dancing With the Stars, acing “Tutti Frutti” on the final number.

• February 2019. Brady and the Pats top the Rams for his sixth Super Bowl title. Johnson and his wife open a cannabis dispensary in Michigan.

• February 2021. Brady, 43, plays in his 10th Super Bowl in Tampa. Johnson, 35, elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame five years after retiring.

Reaction Score

Tampa's defense looked great yesterday but with a reasonably competent offensive line for Mahomes it would have been a different story. Makes sense for them to be 1-2 with Tampa going into next season.

Reaction Score
Tampa's defense looked great yesterday but with a reasonably competent offensive line for Mahomes it would have been a different story. Makes sense for them to be 1-2 with Tampa going into next season.
No question Patrick would have had more time with his best OL guys.. But as we know in the NFL with injuries its a war of attrition over the course of a season. At the end of the year and during playoff time. You don't always have all of the guys you started the year with and you have to play with the guys you have.

"Stuff" happens and you have to deal with it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Calvin Johnson just got in. Really, he had 3 maybe 4 "HOF" caliber years. For 3 seasons (2011-12-13) he was uncoverable. Pretty routine otherwise. Almost like Don Mattingly's stats in baseball. Generally, I think the Football HOF is pretty squishy on the "guidelines" to get in.
Yikes, totally forgot about Johnson.

Reaction Score
He has the all time single season receiving yards record. Would be hard to leave him out. Like leaving out Eric Dickerson (they actually had pretty similar career totals and both 6x pro bowlers, Dickerson had 1 extra year and 1 extra all pro).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Look at the history and think about it. Look at the teams in superbowls that were more talented then those Giants team like the Legion of Boom Seahawks, the Falcons, the Chiefs who shook in their boots against Brady, could even argue the Rams were more talented. Yes its a team sport and qbs tend to get more credit then they deserve when they win. The Hall of fame will factor in Eli having 2 gw super bowl drives against Brady and the Pats (you can call it what you want undeserved whatever). It will be a factor though.
Manning and Brady played the same position and were never on the field at the same time. Eli's team played Brady's, The two never played each other. Brady's performance has no bearing on Eli's or vice versa.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
As HOF LB for the Steelers.Jack Lambert once said. "They should just put a skirt on the QBs to distinguish them from the real players".

Brady needs a line to keep him upright and give him the time to read the defense and react. He does this as well as anyone. However,he would probably lose a 100yd dash race to Gisele 7 out of 10 times.

BTW. No one knows the value of linemen more than Tom B. He's still playing at 43 because of their protection.

If they allowed coaches to receive SB MVP votes. Bowles would have gotten my vote.
Very true that lines are super undervalued especially interior lineman. But Brady has won super bowls with bad lines. He had a makeshift line with a bunch of journeymen in a couple of his Super Bowls. His line this year wasn’t great much of the year. He’s made a living on quick hitters; the slant, slips, screens, etc. He doesn’t really need much time.

Reaction Score
He has the all time single season receiving yards record. Would be hard to leave him out. Like leaving out Eric Dickerson (they actually had pretty similar career totals and both 6x pro bowlers, Dickerson had 1 extra year and 1 extra all pro).
Meh. Look at Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss. Johnson didn’t have near the ticker those guys have.

Reaction Score
This is amazing. Dan O says Mahomes scrambled, before throwing, for 458 yards. He also said it it was a "clinical mauling" of the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball by Tampa. I agree. Brady had all day, and the Chiefs OL looked like me playing OL on a UConn intramural team (we did win the title).

I thought it was an amazing stat until I considered that if you drop back 7-10 yards on 60 passes, that's 510 yards. Given what I saw of him evading tacklers every which way, I now think he probably ran for 800 yards.

Reaction Score
Brady gets some of the headlines. This game was won in the trenches by Tampa Bay on both sides of the ball, Patrick never looked totally comfortable with the schemes and heat the D was bringing.

The Bucs D destroyed them. BUT, the Bucs O adjusted to the KC D. First two series, the Bucs O leaked pretty badly and they were getting blitzed. Brady was sacked. They just adjusted and started doing screens, misdirections, and they ran it more. KC with Mahomes just kept looking for the home run. You have to counter when you're getting destroyed. Run the ball, step up in the pocket because your tackles can't wall off the pass rushers when you're dropping 10 yards.

But anyway, Brady did what he had to do to get on top of them. Anyone who's watched Brady had to know he wasn't going to risk a 20 point lead in the second half by being aggressive.

Reaction Score
Craziest part is I'm sure Brady will be the favorite to win again next year, Tampa is absolutely loaded.
Godwin was his security blanket. He and Evans are not in sync. Miller is a home run hitter, not a slot guy.

If Godwin goes, they'll need someone who can become that possession receiver. Maybe Tyler Johnson can do it, but Godwin is a special player. I hope the Patriots sign him.

Reaction Score
I am not a Brady fan. Been a life long Giants fan. I was rooting for the Pats against the Bears. The only Super Bowl he played in that I wanted the Patriots to win was the first one and mainly because of Tebucky Jones being on the team. Brady's preparation and understanding of the game so that he rarely makes mistakes are his keys to success. Then he consistently makes accurate throws. The TD to Antonio Brown was amazingly accurate. Brady's workout nutrition regime keep him looking like he is not aging. Another thing he he has done his whole career is not take many hits. For him to go from the Pats and wind up on a team that protected him quite well was a great business decision. It takes some luck too for your O-line to stay healthy. If Brady had KC's offensive line yesterday with his current state of mobility and had to face Tampa's D he would be announcing his retirement today.

The Bucs QB coach was on McAfee's show this morning and he said ABrown got the whole play wrong. He was supposed to run in, pivot and go outside. He did the opposite. Brady just went with it.

Brady's line last year was just like KC's last night. 4 injuries. QBs with a bad Oline look bad. But you don't need an all-world OLine. Brady has had a mediocre OLine his whole career, with only one Pro Bowler (Mankins, who never played on a Super Bowl team).

Reaction Score
Some of these Giants fans posing here don't speak for all of us. At this point to argue against Brady being the best ever is just being obnoxious. We beat him twice so why not hang our hats on that?

Reaction Score
Damn forgot about that one. Another poster earlier said something like 7, let that sink in for a second. So, 11 let that sink in for a second

Apples and Oranges. Different sports, completely irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Apples and Oranges. Different sports, completely irrelevant.
And to me Brady’s 7 is not more impressive than Russell’s 11 so yeah it is apples and oranges

Reaction Score
Don't disagree with you on his pocket presence. Very efficient. Results speak for themselves. Not many defensive schemes he hasn't seen if he has the time to read and react.

My point was it is usually the O line giving him the time vs his foot speed/nimbleness.

Reaction Score
Meh. Look at Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss. Johnson didn’t have near the ticker those guys have.

He played his entire career for one of the most moribund franchises in sports. One dude, no matter how good, is not going to change the fortunes of a football team, especially one that's been as poorly run as the Detroit Lions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom