Has the gag order been lifted? | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Has the gag order been lifted?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I keep reading here about ethics. From what I see, ethics don't matter much in the world of big money. I just skip over the posts with all the info about contracts, arbitration and so on. I am not part of that world and never have been. I don't care about it. But people will stoop real low when it comes to ten million bucks. That I do know.

Ironic that our institutions of higher learning will drop their pants for a buck or two. Sports is the tail wagging the dog.

Reaction Score
Ironic that our institutions of higher learning will drop their pants for a buck or two. Sports is the tail wagging the dog.

"Ethics" and "morals" in this case are like "unwritten rules" in baseball....

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Seeds were planted when Ollie was forced on the university. Then the perfect storm developed when Ollie actually won a championship and then went on vacation.

This situation is ugly and no one will come out looking good. Blame can be placed at a lot of feet and I don't feel bad for anybody. Disgust is what I feel most of all.
Some Funster you are.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We are not talking about working class people and collecting unemployment. I am assuming Ollie is not worried about where his next meal comes from. If he has spent all his money like a fool, well too bad. I really find the whole thing ridiculous. Rich guy arguing over 10 million!! I know there is all this contractual drama, I know nothing about that world and don't care. I have always been on my own. But come on. Ten million?! For failing miserably to deliver? He should tell Uconn, give me the two million to pay the old lady, and then disappear.
More like, "If you pay me a million to accept two million to pay the old lady, I'd say we're square. I don't have to worry about the old lady, and you don't have to worry about me. And neither of us has to worry about what it'd be like if you paid me that money to coach next year. "

Reaction Score
No one looks good now. Time to come to an agreement settlement. I will be surprised if KO gets less than 5 mil.

Reaction Score
The whole idea of institutions of higher learning sponsering what amounts to professional sports teams is ridiculous, but that is the monster that has evolved from the idea of "student atheletes". The idea started in the 1920's , a sort of "ivy league" concept and it has become a monster, plain and simple. But we all love to watch it, myself included.

Reaction Score
Seeds were planted when Ollie was forced on the university. Then the perfect storm developed when Ollie actually won a championship and then went on vacation.

This situation is ugly and no one will come out looking good. Blame can be placed at a lot of feet and I don't feel bad for anybody. Disgust is what I feel most of all.
Nice (unintentional?) “planting seeds” reference

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No one looks good now. Time to come to an agreement settlement. I will be surprised if KO gets less than 5 mil.
I will be astounded if it is $5m or > given what we now know.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think any impactful sanctions will come of this?

On the PR side, other than the Deadspin post and some tweets from college basketball personalities, this story really hasn't been given much play.

Whether the school is right, KO is right or it's somewhere in between; it's all really immaterial to me.

What matters to me is what impact it will have, if any, on the program itself.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Does anyone think any impactful sanctions will come of this?

On the PR side, other than the Deadspin post and some tweets from college basketball personalities, this story really hasn't been given much play.

Whether the school is right, KO is right or it's somewhere in between; it's all really immaterial to me.

What matters to me is what impact it will have, if any, on the program itself.

The stuff that's been released shouldn't amount to anything more than a parking ticket from the NCAA. Wasn't there a report that indicated they were specifically looking at the recruitment of three players? It doesn't seem like any of this stuff has anything to do with that.

Reaction Score
No, the problem is he doesn't deserve it and the school has a fiduciary responsibility to not pay him what he doesn't deserve.
His contract does not have a win/loss performance clause as I understand it. Remember that Ollie was a hot coaching commodity at the time of the contract extension and he had leverage. He used that leverage to get a guaranteed contract as anyone would do.
There isn't much question that Ollie deserved to be fired for poor performance. The school has the right to do that but they must pay him because the money is guaranteed. The NCAA violations (which appear to be minor) is a separate issue and the school has every right to limit the payout and use the alleged violations as leverage not to pay him.
Something well short of $10MM will be negotiated and everyone will move on. The sooner the better.

Reaction Score
His contract does not have a win/loss performance clause as I understand it. Remember that Ollie was a hot coaching commodity at the time of the contract extension and he had leverage. He used that leverage to get a guaranteed contract as anyone would do.
There isn't much question that Ollie deserved to be fired for poor performance. The school has the right to do that but they must pay him because the money is guaranteed. The NCAA violations (which appear to be minor) is a separate issue and the school has every right to limit the payout and use the alleged violations as leverage not to pay him.
Something well short of $10MM will be negotiated and everyone will move on. The sooner the better.

It’s not guaranteed because of the language related to violations.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This train wreck is only going to get worse. UConn is clearly the source for many of these stories, which means they are trashing Ollie in the press now. UConn might as well take it to the limit now. Maybe the school wins and pays nothing except for several hundred thousand of legal fees. The school isn't acting like a party that is looking for a way out of this situation.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
For whatever reason, Ollie turns into a lousy coach.
Admin is trying to find a way to afford firing Ollie.
With or without JC's and Admin's knowledge, Glenn goes for revenge.
Admin now can afford to fire Ollie.
I hope it all wasn't planned but I think Admin was just doing their job.

How does Ollie know that they know all this and not agree to a quiet settlement? It just doesn't seem too bright. Especially when there is more they could let slip out out about him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For whatever reason, Ollie turns into a lousy coach.
Admin is trying to find a way to afford firing Ollie.
With or without JC's and Admin's knowledge, Glenn goes for revenge.
Admin now can afford to fire Ollie.
I hope it all wasn't planned but I think Admin was just doing their job.

How does Ollie know that they know all this and not agree to a quiet settlement? It just doesn't seem too bright. Especially when there is more they could let slip out out about him.

It doesn't look like anyone at the university is interested in settling. The school is trying to destroy Ollie.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If they wanted to destroy him they sure left out most of the stuff which would destroy him.

Benedict knew about everything while it was going on. He can't go public without destroying his own career. There's no way somebody who's had one foot out the door for months would fall on his own sword like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom