Has any official info been released on the condition of Lou, Nika and Dorka? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has any official info been released on the condition of Lou, Nika and Dorka?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
UCONN coaches have already said with Dorka its mental, she can't hurt thumb anymore with new brace on it!
Nika needs time to rest, agreed!
Lou if she's hurting should sit also, cause this game against MD means little to nothing, what matters to Geno right now is getting healthy as possible for Big East play!
I must be late to this party, but who, when and where was this stated? The last thing I heard about her availability was when CD stated after a pre Princeton practice that Dorka did practice and her availability would be a game time decision.

Reaction Score
I must be late to this party, but who, when and where was this stated? The last thing I heard about her availability was when CD stated after a pre Princeton practice that Dorka did practice and her availability would be a game time decision.
Geno said it in his press conference.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd call it a meaningless game. It's one more data point in how UConn will be seeded in the NCAA tournament. And UConn's prospective seeding always makes me apprehensive. The better the team's OOC record, potentially the better seeding. The NCAA has shown that it does not compensate for UConn being short-handed if they suffer a loss. I would like to see Geno make it as difficult as possible for UConn to be placed in an unfavorable bracket.

As for providing the bench with experience, it must twist Geno into internal knots to play someone who he doesn't believe is ready. Geno has never shown an inclination to give minutes to prep for the future if they haven't been earned in practice.
Geno’s choices are:
  1. Forfeit - a loss
  2. Play Lou, Caroline, Aubrey, Aaliyah, and someone else all game and hope they don’t get hurt due to fatigue
  3. Play the above, but substitute liberally to gave less experienced players more game time under their belts
All are somewhat unpalatable but #3 has the biggest long term payoff. Ines, Ayanna, and Amari got invaluable experience against Princeton, pulling off an improbable win against a good team. And they showed Geno they won’t wilt under pressure. I say go for it (#3) and go for the win

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Geno’s choices are:
  1. Forfeit - a loss
  2. Play Lou, Caroline, Aubrey, Aaliyah, and someone else all game and hope they don’t get hurt due to fatigue
  3. Play the above, but substitute liberally to gave less experienced players more game time under their belts
All are somewhat unpalatable but #3 has the biggest long term payoff. Ines, Ayanna, and Amari got invaluable experience against Princeton, pulling off an improbable win against a good team. And they showed Geno they won’t wilt under pressure. I say go for it (#3) and go for the win
Has Lou been cleared to play?
I am trying to catch up with today's news and I haven't read anything about the player's availability except the latest posts in this thread.

sun

Reaction Score
The game has some importance because it's being broadcast nationally.
The UConn staff will want the team to put up a better effort then it did in the ND loss on national TV.
A loss could mean another downgrade in the national rankings which can effect the team's psyche.
Whoever plays will be trying hard to win as will the entire staff.

Reaction Score
Geno’s choices are:
  1. Forfeit - a loss
Agreed, Auriemma is going to play whoever is available and try to win the game. He will do that judiciously but he is not going into any game sending a message that losing is okay; losing is always possible, maybe at very rare times probable, but playing expecting not to win is never acceptable.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The UConn staff will want the team to put up a better effort then it did in the ND loss on national TV.
IMO, this is literally the last thing Geno is worrying about. I can’t think of a single time in almost 30 years that I’ve heard him fret over public perception

Centerstream

Reaction Score
A loss could mean another downgrade in the national rankings which can effect the team's psyche.
Who cares about national rankings? Geno has stated that he is not more than once (I believe). This game has nothing to do with Geno’s (and the team's) first goal: win the Big East.
And if the player's psyche is affected by a national popularity contest, then something is terribly wrong with said player(s). IMO.

Reaction Score
Maybe not silly to play Dorka a little, if she can. She needs to get back into game shape and scrape off whatever rust spots have started to form
This may be true. It is probably unrealistic to expect much out of Dorka her first game back, but giving her some time today could help her for Florida State. That could be a very important game from the standpoint of one of our most treasured streaks, namely not losing two in a row since 1993.

I haven't given up on today, but part of me thinks the best strategy regarding players who potentially could play today, is to base that decision on what is best for getting ready for Florida State. With a week between games, that could mean resting Nika and Lou while getting the rust off Dorka so she is more ready against Florida State.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Hmm...sure hope it does not happen but instead of a box and one defensive scheme Geno may have to throw
a 'box and none' if fouls/injuries get out of control.

Reaction Score
Has Lou been cleared to play?
I am trying to catch up with today's news and I haven't read anything about the player's availability except the latest posts in this thread.

No one knows anything. Everyone is assuming… last I knew, Lou was held out for precautionary reasons and is fine. My opinion is she’s playing. Dorka and nika are the questions. There has yet been any word

sun

Reaction Score
Who cares about national rankings? Geno has stated that he is not more than once (I believe). This game has nothing to do with Geno’s (and the team's) first goal: win the Big East.
And if the player's psyche is affected by a national popularity contest, then something is terribly wrong with said player(s). IMO.
The NET rankings are not a national popularity contest.
They are officially used for the NCAAT brackets & are based on a math formula.

And if UConn loses the NET's would reflect an away record of 0-2.
It also creates a reflection for the national audience which includes young BB prospects who may not even have a favorite WCBB team yet, and they're looking for one to root for.
They won't want to buy merchandise for a team that they perceive as losing too often.
Or maybe even choose not to play for UConn if recruited.
UConn's winning history is only as meaningful as their short memory beginning from 7 days ago on ABC.

As far as the players psyche, if they begin to believe that they can't win without certain players, then that can be like having a jinx placed on them.
They're only young adults and even among the BY fan base, many don't believe that UConn can go far without certain players being healthy.
Even Geno may not have made up his mind yet about how far UConn can go.

I guess we'll see how the team plays today and reacts going forward based on today's game results.
The game could be more important then is currently realized.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd call it a meaningless game. It's one more data point in how UConn will be seeded in the NCAA tournament. And UConn's prospective seeding always makes me apprehensive. The better the team's OOC record, potentially the better seeding. The NCAA has shown that it does not compensate for UConn being short-handed if they suffer a loss. I would like to see Geno make it as difficult as possible for UConn to be placed in an unfavorable bracket.

As for providing the bench with experience, it must twist Geno into internal knots to play someone who he doesn't believe is ready. Geno has never shown an inclination to give minutes to prep for the future if they haven't been earned in practice.
The game is meaningless. Doesn’t really matter where UConn will be ranked. We already know uConn will win the big East regular season, win the big East tournament, and will make the NCAA tournament. Seeding for UConn doesn’t matter.

Reaction Score
Geno’s choices are:
  1. Forfeit - a loss

Add to #2 and #3, play a lot of zone and use the shot clock wisely. If I were Maryland I would press all the time, so need to game plan that too. If we play zone and walk it up, MAYBE Lou can play and stand outside the three line. Of course if she is healthy that helps a lot. This will be interesting to say the least.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
No information has been released which is what I expected. So it's game on.

Geno has a plan and we will find out today what it is. He's got over 30 years doing this and there is not much he hasn't seen.

After the Princeton game, I'm not selling Amari and Ines short. They are going to get minutes and contribute. This team is much tougher than some think. I'm not worried about a potential fragile psyche. Nika will make sure that doesn't happen as will others. They will compete. Whether they win or not is another discussion.

As to rankings, this is a mid December game, right before finals. League play really hasn't started. A long road to go. Come on people, did you forget about last season? Many counted UConn out after Paige went down and other injuries hit. Remember the result? We made it to the championship game.

Enough said.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
The NET rankings are not a national popularity contest.
They are officially used for the NCAAT brackets & are based on a math formula.

And if UConn loses the NET's would reflect an away record of 0-2.
It also creates a reflection for the national audience which includes young BB prospects who may not even have a favorite WCBB team yet, and they're looking for one to root for.
They won't want to buy merchandise for a team that they perceive as losing too often.
UConn's winning history is only as meaningful as their short memory beginning from 7 days ago on ABC.

As far as the players psyche, if they begin to believe that they can't win without certain players, then that can be like having a jinx placed on them.
They're only young adults and even among the BY fan base, many don't believe that UConn can go far without certain players being healthy.
Even Geno may not have made up his mind yet about how far UConn can go.

I guess we'll see how the team reacts today and going forward based on today's game results.
Your post that I replied to did not in any way refer to the NET stuff, so nice swerve in your reply to me!
Plus it's only December!!!!

Reaction Score
Not a chance? Do you know something we don’t or are you just climbing buildings swatting at planes?
It would be a really bad look for uconn and ncaa wbb in general if unconn let her play. I know I am comparing apples and oranges but:
  • Oct 8, 2022 The NFL announced Saturday it has agreed with the NFLPA to change its concussion protocols to include “ataxia,” which is defined as an abnormality of balance/stability, motor coordination or dysfunctional speech caused by a neurological issue. The move is immediate and in effect for Sunday’s games.
Nika was unable to maintain balance or stability. I hope she is ok and held out under abundance of caution as opposed to an injury.

sun

Reaction Score
Your post that I replied to did not in any way refer to the NET stuff, so nice swerve in your reply to me!
Plus it's only December!!!!
Yes, the NET rankings are a different ranking system than I originally mentioned.
But that doesn't mean that they should be ignored or considered to be the same as a popularity contest.
The NET rankings are based on the whole season record up until the end.
I'd hate to see the BY fans complain if UConn doesn't get a #1 seed due to a loss to MD early on.
That's why every game matters, even this MD game.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Should know the answers to all questions about 2:55 pm this afternoon
We'll know earlier than that. The local media will be at the arena and will know which players are in uniform and which are not when the team hits the court for warm ups typically an hour or so before tip. The team will usually make an official statement around that time as well.

As for shoot-around in the morning, only the TV media people attend that and there seems to be an understanding that they will not reveal player availability based on what they see and hear.

Reaction Score
nobody on UConn is worried about their national ranking right now.........only folks on the Boneyard care about that at this time in the season............the only rankings that matter are the ones before the big tournament and the one at the end of that tournament.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom