Hartford NCAA Tourney Games | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hartford NCAA Tourney Games

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, there was an article in the March 1st publication of the Courant that said 25,000 fans were expected for the games, total. Might have outdone that by quite a bit.

They probably weren’t counting casual fans in their analysis.

Reaction Score
Nice analysis. Why’d you post this at 8:51 PM and not before the game? Just curious!

I sure wasn't all convinced...Ja had such a rep...I knew he would not be stopped...but thought that his team could be. But I was not totally convinced. But I would have bet that -4.

Sure, after the game, it looked to be good reasoning....

What I did not figure in was how badly Ja played on defense...watching the game, it was evident that he is no defender.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
I sure wasn't all convinced...Ja had such a rep...I knew he would not be stopped...but thought that his team could be. But I was not totally convinced. But I would have bet that -4.

Sure, after the game, it looked to be good reasoning....

What I did not figure in was how badly Ja played on defense...watching the game, it was evident that he is no defender.

I wasn’t impressed by his defense either but to be fair he has to do everything on offense for that team. Maybe if some of his turdmates did anything then Ja could play some defense.

Reaction Score
Yep....it takes a team, not just one star.

Ja hitting five 3 pointers early masked the mismatch some.

It looked like Coach Ham schemed to not double Ja and try to stop the rest of the team...let Ja take his shots...he hit 8 of 21.

Maybe the tell tale stat was Murray State's 7 assists vs FSU's 21.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went to all 3 sessions over the two days( and the open practices on Wednesday).

I really think the city of Hartford did a nice job with the tournament.

Pratt Street and bars and eateries were packed. Everyone having a great time.

As others said XL Center and City of Hartford were done no favors by the NCAA on Thursday with 2 pm tip and then quick turnaround.
I had a great time. No complaints.

Last edited:

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Was at the MSU/FSU game. How badly was Morant hurt when he hit the floor in the first half? He seemed to have lost a lot of steam after that.

Reaction Score
He wasn't hurt, I don't think....but he got winded and ran down.

FSU guys said that he bent over, hands on hips, and was getting gassed. The Noles kept running in fresh players with a deep bench and pushed the ball up court.

TJT

Reaction Score
My guess is that this was the last NCAA Men's Tournament to ever be played in the XL Center. Only way it comes back to Hartford is if there is a new arena. Since that doesn't appear like it will happen anytime soon, don't expect to see the tourney around these parts for some time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My guess is that this was the last NCAA Men's Tournament to ever be played in the XL Center. Only way it comes back to Hartford is if there is a new arena. Since that doesn't appear like it will happen anytime soon, don't expect to see the tourney around these parts for some time.
Why do you say that? The place was packed to the gills.

Reaction Score
I went to all the games on Thurs and Sat. It was packed, energetic, fun (even with the blowouts) and a massive success. So...where is this opinion coming from?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Anyone else surprised how empty the arena was in Tulsa for Ohio St and Houston? Those two schools have to have two of the largest alumni bases in college and they couldn’t half fill the arena. Also, why is there a 20,000 seat brand new arena in TULSA and we play in a 50 year old concrete box?

TJT

Reaction Score
Why do you say that? The place was packed to the gills.

Because of all the issues and complaints - narrow concourses/running out of food/too few bathrooms/no WiFi/not being able to process incoming patrons quick enough (NCAA deserves far more blame here)

The tournament sells out and is packed no matter where in the northeast it is held. With many newer arenas that are also far better managed in the northeast, I doubt they will return to the XL Center. Keep in mind they had not been here since 1998 and most likely only came back because of the last renovation. The next three years are already assigned and Hartford is not in the mix.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone else surprised how empty the arena was in Tulsa for Ohio St and Houston? Those two schools have to have two of the largest alumni bases in college and they couldn’t half fill the arena. Also, why is there a 20,000 seat brand new arena in TULSA and we play in a 50 year old concrete box?
Lower density states seem to be the ones prospering the most, these days.

Reaction Score
Because of all the issues and complaints - narrow concourses/running out of food/too few bathrooms/no WiFi/not being able to process incoming patrons quick enough (NCAA deserves far more blame here)

The tournament sells out and is packed no matter where in the northeast it is held. With many newer arenas that are also far better managed in the northeast, I doubt they will return to the XL Center. Keep in mind they had not been here for some time and most likely only came back because of the last renovation.
Because of general attendances at other arenas, expected attendance was MUCH lower. Thus, the mishaps.

Reaction Score
I had a blast going to the games and bars, tons of fans from all over the country also had a blast and the city did a great job of hosting. You don't have to be negative about everything all the time you know...

edit: also, XL looked great on TV. Was solidly packed with super loud crowds, honestly I think Hartford was easily the most impressive looking host of all the cities for the first two rounds.

Reaction Score
I do not gamble (dang)...but if I did, I would have taken FSU -4.

My thoughts:

1...Ja would get his points but FSU limited the rest of the team and Ja's assists.

2....Murray St. wasn' able to block out rebounds...or contend with FSU's length

and:

Murray State played 30 regular season games and went 26-4.

26 of the games were against teams with a kenpom defensive rating of 126 or worse.

4 of the games were against teams with a kenpom defensive rating in the top 125.

26-0 against the ones ranked 126 or worst. And,interestingly, 0-4 against the top 125.

I am no gambler...but I liked thar stat.
If I knew the outcome of the game I probably would’ve bet FSU too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The NCAA loves places that fill the seats.

If UConn and/or UHart keep submitting bids they will win.

It’s gotta be tough for UConn since they host the women every year the same weekend.

Spectra can be fixed by hiring someone competent.

Reaction Score
Good for you...As I said, if I was a gambler, I would have taken the -4....

And also as I said, sure wasn't that sure because of Ja.

TJT

Reaction Score
The NCAA loves places that fill the seats.

If UConn and/or UHart keep submitting bids they will win.

It’s gotta be tough for UConn since they host the women every year the same weekend.

Spectra can be fixed by hiring someone competent.

If you think that is truly the case, please explain why it had not been held in Hartford for 21 years (last held here in 1998).

Hartford selling the event out is no different than any other northeast city. It sells out and fills the seats everywhere in this region. The tournament only struggles in other parts of the country which Hartford would not be competing with to host in the northeast. This region has the population density, wealth, and close proximity to all the large eastern metros for it to succeed at the gate wherever it is. There are many larger and more modern venues that are far better operated in this region for the NCAA to select.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you think that is truly the case, please explain why it had not been held in Hartford for 21 years (last held here in 1998).
because there were epic problems with parking in 98. You don't hear any reports nearly like that this year.

Reaction Score
In 2018...the 36 sessions of the NCAA Tournament averaged 19,246 according to NCAA records.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In 2018...the 36 sessions of the NCAA Tournament averaged 19,246 according to NCAA records.

in 2018 according to records uconn averaged 21k in football attendance

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom