Hartford > Gampel | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hartford > Gampel

Reaction Score
I don’t know what you’re smoking but Gampel is always much noisier than the XL Center, and that’s a plus for the home team and a big negative for the visiting team. Only thing noisier at XL is when the roof beams fall. Lol
I premise this with I have always thought all games should be at Gampel, but if you think the XL can't be as loud as Gampel then you weren't around in the 90's and OBE.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's not the games like this that bother me with XL. It's the mid week games that are barley cracking 10k. Those games have no business being in Hartford anymore.

And the thing is that the 10k announced is tickets. You can cut that by 40% for the actual attendance.

Reaction Score
F05FFE3D-CE2D-40A1-A58C-F2CDD48A0EBA.jpeg

August_West

Reaction Score
You can cut it by some but 40% is way too extreme.
In cases it can be too extreme you’re right. But prior to Covid we had an 8k and change announce at Hartford where there were around 3800 in the building. That’s over 50% And by the way same goes for Gampel. They are announcing sold tix not attendance. Not singling XL on that exclusively .

Reaction Score
In cases it can be too extreme you’re right. But prior to Covid we had an 8k and change announce at Hartford where there were around 3800 in the building. That’s over 50% And by the way same goes for Gampel. They are announcing sold tix not attendance. Not singling XL on that exclusively .
Maybe at the end of the Ollie days, but I haven't seen anything close to that this year.

Reaction Score
I premise this with I have always thought all games should be at Gampel, but if you think the XL can't be as loud as Gampel then you weren't around in the 90's and OBE.
Actually I was, sat right behind the bench several times. A couple times Lew sat right next to my wife or me, he always munched on a bag of peanuts. Lol. XL is not nearly as loud as Gampel and is almost like a neutral court. At the womens games it was much worse, depending on who we were playing it was less noisey than my high school gym.

Reaction Score
Yes, I will say Hartford has been louder in the past. In the past. It is capable of doing so but has not for some time.

Reaction Score
Actually I was, sat right behind the bench several times. A couple times Lew sat right next to my wife or me, he always munched on a bag of peanuts. Lol. XL is not nearly as loud as Gampel and is almost like a neutral court. At the womens games it was much worse, depending on who we were playing it was less noisey than my high school gym.
neutral court? LMAO
c'mon buddy. LOL

Reaction Score
Yes, I will say Hartford has been louder in the past. In the past. It is capable of doing so but has not for some time.

Lol. XL is not nearly as loud as Gampel and is almost like a neutral court.
How far in the past is February 16, 2020? Good team, big game, either venue, it is going to be plenty loud. To pull a page from so many others' playbook, I've been in both buildings for plenty of big, big moments and the Memphis game like 7 Hartford games ago at XL is right up there with any of them.

There are like a million other points that can be made in this ongoing (and ongoing and ongoing) argument, but the idea that 16k people can't be louder than 10k people is not one of them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And the thing is that the 10k announced is tickets. You can cut that by 40% for the actual attendance.
How much do you cut that if you want to be accurate?

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I don’t know what you’re smoking but Gampel is always much noisier than the XL Center, and that’s a plus for the home team and a big negative for the visiting team. Only thing noisier at XL is when the roof beams fall. Lol
I'm smoking good, but don't put words in my mouth. I never once said that XL is louder than Gampel. It's better for some games, but it's not always much noisier. The PC and Marquette games were louder than the Georgetown and St. John's games. There is no doubt that tomorrow will be rocking, and will be be the best crowd yet this year. However, when we win tomorrow, and then get Nova in Hartford...wait to see how loud it gets when the game is close in the 2nd half and we get a Whaley block at the rim and a breakout AJax dunk.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How far in the past is February 16, 2020? Good team, big game, either venue, it is going to be plenty loud. To pull a page from so many others' playbook, I've been in both buildings for plenty of big, big moments and the Memphis game like 7 Hartford games ago at XL is right up there with any of them.

There are like a million other points that can be made in this ongoing (and ongoing and ongoing) argument, but the idea that 16k people can't be louder than 10k people is not one of them.

Oh I think it’s very possible that 16k people can’t be louder, especially when most of the 10k people are 25 and under, and the 16k people are mostly between 30 and 70. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sure I will do it it. I have a killer app for that (NIOSH) because I have to use it for outdoor gigs at times.

However, it's not really a fair comparison. There is little doubt the XL will be rocking Tuesday with a top 7 (at minimum) team in Nova coming in. XL is fine in that environment. Packed house. Problem with XL is that it is a once a year happening. Twice at best. I live an hour from both the XL and Gampel so (actually I think the exact difference between me getting to the two is 57 minutes to XL and 59 to Gampel) so I can take travel out of equation. And I prefer to be in Gampel. By a wide margin.

Maybe we should just play the one or two games a year at XL that the casuals will come out for.
Is Deep River 57 min to XL these days? I used to get from West Hartford to Old Saybrook in 55 minutes at rush hour 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
Imagine if the XL Center was a 21st century facility like all the arenas all over the country? A beautiful building would energize the fanbase resulting in better attendance (especially students). Instead we're content with 2 relics but don't worry because Gampel got a new roof..
But it is a really nice (and expensive) roof.

August_West

Reaction Score
Is Deep River 57 min to XL these days? I used to get from West Hartford to Old Saybrook in 55 minutes at rush hour 20 years ago.
I don’t live in Chester anymore , I live in southeast corner of old Lyme, on the border a stones throw from ocean beach pavillion

August_West

Reaction Score
Ok again , I don’t like to do this because, again, I don’t like you people generally. But let’s get this thread back into a positive mojo frame. So I will stick the offer here.

I’ve got two extras for the game tomorrow. It’s a Saturday, noon game against a big time opponent and a huge game. It should be a doable drive under these circumstances from anywhere in the state.

If you would like to scream your head off from courtside and see how loud Gampel can get, hit me up.

Reaction Score
I don’t live in Chester anymore , I live in southeast corner of old Lyme, on the border a stones throw from ocean beach pavillion
I love that whole area just south of Middletown down to the shore. I was always shocked how nice it was as I drove around. Hills, winding roads, wildlife, water. It really has a lot to offer. So many in CT have no idea it exists.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Imagine if the XL Center was a 21st century facility like all the arenas all over the country? A beautiful building would energize the fanbase resulting in better attendance (especially students). Instead we're content with 2 relics but don't worry because Gampel got a new roof..
Wow

Reaction Score
Ok again , I don’t like to do this because, again, I don’t like you people generally. But let’s get this thread back into a positive mojo frame. So I will stick the offer here.

I’ve got two extras for the game tomorrow. It’s a Saturday, noon game against a big time opponent and a huge game. It should be a doable drive under these circumstances from anywhere in the state.

If you would like to scream your head off from courtside and see how loud Gampel can get, hit me up.
Still available?

August_West

Reaction Score
Still available?
Yes. Want one? Was actually thinking of pming you and asking anyway. We may have message board differences but there is no doubt you are a passionate fan. I have no issues seeing a game with you so yea, you’re in if you want one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom