Hartford > Gampel | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Hartford > Gampel

Reaction Score
It's a lot more than 20 minutes even if you speed.
It’s not. Hartford is 45 minutes from where I live. Gampel is 1hr and 2min. It’s a decent 20 minute difference

Reaction Score
Rothstein has never had a problem continually voicing his niche opinions on twitter. Guy is a fiend for this stuff. He definitely cares this much. Look how often he tweets about Temple (probably the 6th best basketball program in the AAC currently) going back to the A10.
This is rothstein talking to Hurley.

Reaction Score
The notion that there were ~7,500 people at the game on Saturday is patently absurd. Like others here, I was there and it's just wrong. Would love to know more from MA if the quote he got only pertained to scanned tickets or actual butts in seats. For instance - do all students get a barcode scanned when they enter? If not, are they included in that 7,500 number? Similarly, does it account for guests, player tickets, comped tickets? Does it account for barcode scanner malfunctions? I saw the latter happen on my way in. I'd hazard a guess that the number he quoted does not include all students.

That said, it'd seem the most reasonable proposal for a home site split would be:
  • All winter break games at XL
  • One early-season cupcake at XL, perhaps on a weekend or over Thanksgiving break
  • One good spring session conference game at XL, preferably a weekend
  • All other home games at Gampel

Using this year's schedule, that'd come out to:
CCSU - GP
Coppin - GP
LIU - GP
Binghamton - XL
MD-ES - GP
Grambling - GP
PC - XL
Butler (in its original scheduled slot) - XL
SJU - XL
GT - GP
CU - GP
MU - GP
SHU - GP
XU - XL
VU - GP
DeP - GP

Reaction Score
Most enlightening quotes are here:

“We’re part of the state, and we’re the flagship of the state,” athletic director David Benedict said. “So there is certainly an appreciation for how we are helping the state and a lot of people in downtown Hartford by playing there. … I’m not sure that it necessarily helps UConn athletics or UConn basketball as much as it does a lot of other entities.”

UConn pays a per-game rent of $40,500 for men’s and women’s basketball and $20,500 for men’s hockey, plus $20,000-$30,000 in facilities fees for each event. The CRDA also collects a $3 surcharge per basketball ticket (up to 12,450 tickets) and a $2 surcharge per ticket for hockey tickets (up to 4,600)

Benedict said attendance must be “well north” of 10,000 for UConn to avoid operating at a loss at the XL Center on a given night. And by playing in Hartford, revenue potential built into events at Gampel is sacrificed. UConn takes no money from XL concessions or parking. It does control sponsorship signage revenue for Hartford games, but not suite or loge seating. Cost and lost opportunity adds up to several millions of dollars, annually.

“There is a comfort level with Gampel that you don’t have with XL,” Benedict said. “And then you add the fact that, aesthetically, it’s not necessarily exciting for our kids to play down there. A lot of Big East members play in off-site facilities, so this isn’t necessarily unusual. But look at those facilities. Most of them are NBA or NBA-like facilities. Everybody knows, factually speaking, the building is old and it needs a major renovation. There’s nothing necessarily about that building that is a pro right now for anybody, whether it’s our student-athletes and the amenities they have there, or our fans.”
If the state really had an appreciation for what UConn sacrifices to play at their crappy arena, then we should at least be collecting on concessions and parking. They also need to get rid of the ridiculous fees. UConn has the leverage here. If the state wants to continue pimping out our athletics for the sake of downtown Hartford business owners, then we need to tell either we cut the fees and give us concession money, or we play every game at Gampel and they can suck it. We owe them absolutely nothing.

I'm so tired of UConn basketball always getting the short end of the stick on everything.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Folks thinking that moving all the games to Storrs will cut costs while maintaining the same level of fan and financial support are dreaming.

Reaction Score
Folks thinking that moving all the games to Storrs will cut costs while maintaining the same level of fan and financial support are dreaming.
You've said this enough times that I have to ask, would you really stop going to games if they only played at Gampel?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You've said this enough times that I have to ask, would you really stop going to games if they only played at Gampel?
More importantly does he actually believe that all the commentary from people who actually have access to the data is wrong?

Reaction Score
Plenty of people would stop having season tickets and going to games if they were all in Gampl.

Reaction Score
The notion that there were ~7,500 people at the game on Saturday is patently absurd. Like others here, I was there and it's just wrong. Would love to know more from MA if the quote he got only pertained to scanned tickets or actual butts in seats. For instance - do all students get a barcode scanned when they enter? If not, are they included in that 7,500 number? Similarly, does it account for guests, player tickets, comped tickets? Does it account for barcode scanner malfunctions? I saw the latter happen on my way in. I'd hazard a guess that the number he quoted does not include all students.

That said, it'd seem the most reasonable proposal for a home site split would be:
  • One early-season cupcake at XL, perhaps on a weekend or over Thanksgiving break

CCSU - GP
Coppin - GP
LIU - GP
Binghamton - XL
MD-ES - GP
Grambling - GP
PC - XL
SJU - XL
GT - GP
CU - GP
MU - GP
SHU - GP
XU - XL
VU - GP
DeP - GP
I could live with this. You realize they would have to dramatically increase the seat donation at Gampel with an equivalent decrease at XL. You could try it and see if fans would pay. I think fans would give up season tix at XL and spend the money on th 2 or 3 good games you would schedule there. I’m there either way but can see issues.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I won't get season tickets anymore. But I imagine I'll still go to a game now and again if it's not a bench seat. So I'll still be attending more games than 95% of this board.

Reaction Score
So they're just fans of convenience then and not UConn? I just find it hard to believe there's a significant number who fall into that category
we lunatics on the Boneyard think the world revolves around UConn basketball (which it should!), but I'd guess that small logistical factors can have large effects on fan turnout.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was quite a large group of people that wouldn't attend as many games if they were all at Gampel. For one, there would be thousands fewer seats available for each of those would-have-been XL games, so there's that. Anyway, whether or not total attendance would fall or rise, there could be other compelling reasons to stop or mostly stop playing games at XL.

Last edited by a moderator:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Win and everything else follows. You’ve got yourself wrapped around the axle on this because it is convenient for you. The numbers are earlier in the thread, we are losing money in Hartford.

Reaction Score

CCSU - GP
Coppin - GP
LIU - GP
Binghamton - XL
MD-ES - GP
Grambling - GP
PC - XL
SJU - XL
GT - GP
CU - GP
MU - GP
SHU - GP
XU - XL
VU - GP
DeP - GP
Guys. For some reason, only in Connecticut is scanned tickets a thing.

I think it goes back to Rentschler Field when they would announce 32000 and there were 18 in the building. For some reason, this pissed off press row. We have a weird dynamic here. Why is attendance a thing? For some people, it helps reinforce the narrative that UConn isn’t big time, or their fans are spiked front runners.

I just never got into the fans aren’t in their seats early or UConn gooses the attendance figures. What does it matter?

You think nfl sells out every game and has 100% attendance? Of course not .

Also, scanned misses the band, support staff, media. and who knows if students get scanned in. Since they are not paid tixs, why would they be scanned?

The notion that gampel was only 75% full is absurd.

The key metric is not attendance, it is gate revenue. If you give tickets away for $5, I bet you could get Huge attendance.

To me, the metric is how much revenue you brought in with the gate for that game and divide by number of available seats.

That is what matters.

If I go to a broadway play, is it before a half packed house at the nederlander theatre? Stupid.

Edit: This is a good reminder that if UConn scanned 7500 tickets for Xavier, there is zero chance that it is 75% capacity. Perhaps that is not the metric that should use to determine capacity.

That is objectively false. All that number represents is how many tickets were scanned. Not how many people were there. It is tickets scanned + non-scanned attendees= attendance.

I had arguments for years over this. Most people like to say UConn is lying.

There are industry standards for how to count, if a ticket is sold, and the person doesn’t show up does that count as a sold Seat?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm in East Haven.

XL is 42 minutes for me.
Gampel is 1:10.

So it's an extra hour (ignoring traffic/parking), plus it is much easier to get out of Hartford after a game.

So it isn't nothing - and for a marquee matchup I'm there. But for a midweek game against an average opponent? Maybe.

I won't stop buying season tickets - and I try to find people to go when I can't, but let's stop pretending there isn't a difference.

Reaction Score
I could live with this. You realize they would have to dramatically increase the seat donation at Gampel with an equivalent decrease at XL. You could try it and see if fans would pay. I think fans would give up season tix at XL and spend the money on th 2 or 3 good games you would schedule there. I’m there either way but can see issues.
Not true.

Given UConn must sell "well over 10K tickets" to break even at XL due to the costs to play there plus lost costs.

Reaction Score
and as someone mentioned before there wud be way fewer season tickets available for the games if they were all are at gampel. Definitely would affect me and my friends … I think it’s perfect the way it is now — maybe an extra couple games at gampel as part of XL season ticket holders package. (6 total in Hartford - rest at gampel?) I mean how many games really hurt us this year at the Civic Center?( as I still call it ) maybe just the Creighton game— tmrws a really important game I believe for the XL Center/Hartford -moving forward -those bars and restaurants need to be packed -even though it’s a stupid Tuesday game - too bad it’s not a Saturday night tip. And again I don’t live in Texas or the Midwest Im acccustomed to most things being within 20 30 minutes max -when you work all day and have two children an extra 25 minute drive means a lot -especially on ride home.

Reaction Score
and as someone mentioned before there wud be way fewer season tickets available for the games if they were all are at gampel. Definitely would affect me and my friends … I think it’s perfect the way it is now — maybe an extra couple games at gampel as part of XL season ticket holders package. (6 total in Hartford - rest at gampel?) I mean how many games really hurt us this year at the Civic Center?( as I still call it ) maybe just the Creighton game— tmrws a really important game I believe for the XL Center/Hartford -moving forward -those bars and restaurants need to be packed -even though it’s a stupid Tuesday game - too bad it’s not a Saturday night tip. And again I don’t live in Texas or the Midwest Im acccustomed to most things being within 20 30 minutes max -when you work all day and have two children an extra 25 minute drive means a lot -especially on ride home.
I like what you said. I don’t live in Texas or Midwest. We are at a faster pace here. We got office jobs, and tight schedules.

How insane does it feel to have to start school at 7:25 am. Why not 7:30 am?

We are ingrained here to count minutes. And, as far as XL vs. Gampel. I worked at the JI for 15 years and lived in Farmington, CT.

People were stunned that I went to work everyday on the other side of the river. (Why don’t you move closer!) East and West of the river is a thing. It’s one of the reasons the rock cats moved to Hartford.

Reaction Score
As a sidenote I did have some old guy behind me tell me to sit down with a minute left in the XL Marquette game— I told him to chill and that this was a big win - we all had a good laugh about it after so I do get the pro gampel points - but still

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
and as someone mentioned before there wud be way fewer season tickets available for the games if they were all are at gampel.

So my only comment is that you are not buying “ season tickets” when buying XL package. You are buying XL package . And that’s great . UConn needs every fan they can get. However these days it’s a “ loss leader” . And AD can’t afford to take losses. On court or off.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Win and everything else follows. You’ve got yourself wrapped around the axle on this because it is convenient for you. The numbers are earlier in the thread, we are losing money in Hartford.
This is not true. My comments are based on the history of the ticket buying fanbase. If they liked Gampel so much the season tickets there would be sold out. It's not close. The great crowd last weekday was preceded by a flash sale. Not only is UConn not losing money, they are making more Tuesday playing in the XL than they would at Gampel.

Reaction Score
So my only comment is that you are not buying “ season tickets” when buying XL package. You are buying XL package . And that’s great . UConn needs every fan they can get. However these days it’s a “ loss leader” . And AD can’t afford to take losses. On court or off.
That seems to come down to how much “well north” of 10,000 AD David Benedict means and if that number includes the seat donations that don’t seem to be mentioned in this conversation as an XL revenue or something general.

Playing a horrid non-conference schedule during the tail end of a pandemic while fan interest is maybe 75% back from recent AAC/performance issues, XL is going to average 11,638 fans per game this season (going from box scores and adding in my head so +/- on margin of error here). Swap in one decent non-conference game for MD-ES, move 1-2 lower-figure attendance games to Storrs and that number quickly hits 13k or so. Again, playing a loss leader non-conference schedule, coming out of a pandemic, at a time when casual fan interest is back but not actually BACK quite yet.

Look, AD David Benedict is clearly choosing his words to put the screws on Hartford/the State to upgrade the arena, sweeten the deal for UConn and likely looking at a split that moves a few games to Storrs, which is exactly what an AD should be doing with an expiring contract and some leverage, but he also lays out a path that isn’t all that difficult to envision from this season alone.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom