Hartford Athletic | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic

Reaction Score
@Palatine "With installation underway by FieldTurf USA, another major milestone has been reached in preparation for the 2019 USL Championship campaign. The state-of-the-art turf system will feature an organic infill surface that will be FIFA and World Rugby-certified. That means Dillon will be the first field to feature organic infill and achieve both prestigious certifications in North America. The field will provide a playing surface that will serve the highest level of professional soccer while allowing for increased community use. "

Will Dillon be ready by the the Fall of 2019? Its much mroe reasonable venue to UConn soccer over the next two season versus playing in front of 2,000 to 3,000 fans at the Rent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Will Dillon be ready by the the Fall of 2019? Its much mroe reasonable venue to UConn soccer over the next two season versus playing in front of 2,000 to 3,000 fans at the Rent.
I think it's supposed to ready by May 2019.

Reaction Score
Supposedly, the hybrid of fake turf with natural grass plugs. Still not entirely natural, nor even quite Rooneyish.

I've read about a turf under development that combines the fake and natural, but that's not this stuff. This is solely artificial turf but instead of injecting ground up tire rubber between the blades as a cushion they are using cork and other organic materials.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that US Soccer is making a huge push for artificial turf at the youth level. I suspect that they believe it will encourage teams to play more of a possession style.

The problem with the Rhinos Stadium is that the WNY Flash were more popular for awhile, and they sucked the soccer dollars dry, and the Flash's owner even took over the naming rights for the stadium as well...and after he made his team the premier soccer draw in town (by signing Marta, Abby Wambach, and even Carly Lloyd played there for a while), he sold the franchise to North Carolina, and it left the stadium with one tenant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that US Soccer is making a huge push for artificial turf at the youth level. I suspect that they believe it will encourage teams to play more of a possession style.

The problem with the Rhinos Stadium is that the WNY Flash were more popular for awhile, and they sucked the soccer dollars dry, and the Flash's owner even took over the naming rights for the stadium as well...and after he made his team the premier soccer draw in town (by signing Marta, Abby Wambach, and even Carly Lloyd played there for a while), he sold the franchise to North Carolina, and it left the stadium with one tenant.

Turf is about profit and loss. Youth Soccer is about making money and not developing players.

I realize that stuff costs money but we have one of the richest federations going. And making money doesn’t seem to be improving the standard of play.

Reaction Score
This is solely artificial turf but instead of injecting ground up tire rubber between the blades as a cushion they are using cork and other organic materials.
Interesting, so maybe more natural than Rooney's re-seeding. ;)

Reaction Score
Turf is about profit and loss. Youth Soccer is about making money and not developing players.

I realize that stuff costs money but we have one of the richest federations going. And making money doesn’t seem to be improving the standard of play.

There are oth farctors, too. In many countries, the 1 outdoor field sport is soccer/football. Here and there, their maybe a local Rugby, Cricket or Hurling Club; but, that's it. In the US, we have soccer, football, baseball, lacrosse, and even rugby, too. Thus, especially in the built-up cities and burbs with open space at a premium, Then throw in rain, snow, heat, cold. The result is that turf is the only choice as grass cannot handle that much use.

In my town in North Jersey where we take good care of the town's main rec field complex, the grass was a disastor by mid-October between the never-ending rain and use by football (rec and travel football ages 7 - 13), fall travel baseball and softball (ages 9 through 14), and boys and girls soccer (rec, travel, club and high school ages 7 through 18).

Reaction Score

What I'm referring to is the preference for turf fields when there are readily well-maintained grass fields available. US Soccer wants DA to play and practice on turf.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If we have to have turf I like that they are going to something like this. Just as long as the place opens on time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just got this in the mail:
8c24e951-ad99-4ae2-8230-fca72d1dceb6.jpg

Reaction Score
The USL is sanctioned as America's Division II league, which probably would be Division III in more football advanced countries. As for the cost, 34 Euros would be approx. $38-$40 based on recent exchange rates. So, at $15-$20 for most seats, this is 1/2 the cost of some of the best soccer in the world. Yes, that may seem a bit high but it's not obscenely expensive for 20 games or so. Leaving out suites and a small section in left field that's effectively limited to Hartford residents, the Yard Goats charge $12-$20 for individual game tickets over a 70 game season (season ticket holders get a few dollars off per game).

Reaction Score
The USL is sanctioned as America's Division II league, which probably would be Division III in more football advanced countries. As for the cost, 34 Euros would be approx. $38-$40 based on recent exchange rates. So, at $15-$20 for most seats, this is 1/2 the cost of some of the best soccer in the world. Yes, that may seem a bit high but it's not obscenely expensive for 20 games or so. Leaving out suites and a small section in left field that's effectively limited to Hartford residents, the Yard Goats charge $12-$20 for individual game tickets over a 70 game season (season ticket holders get a few dollars off per game).
Yard Goats are actually a bit cheaper ranging from $6 to 15 for a standard tix. I've bought tickets right behind home plate for $12 (with virtually no fees). I don't think the Athletic prices are crazy but they are on the pricier side if single game tickets start at $15.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't mind the $20 bucks as much as the 20 games. I'll have to find a partner.

More expensive than the Yard Goats, less than the Wolf Pack.

Reaction Score
Whale City FC? This obsession with the Whalers is unhealthy. Does Hartford really have a link to whaling besides maybe manufacturing some stuff used on whale ships and providing insurance for them, as well?

Whaling was inhumane anyway. Where's PETA when you need them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whale City FC? This obsession with the Whalers is unhealthy. Does Hartford really have a link to whaling besides maybe manufacturing some stuff used on whale ships and providing insurance for them, as well?

Whaling was inhumane anyway. Where's PETA when you need them.
Your obsession with Whaler nostalgia is what's truly unhealthy. It's just the name of a guy's blog.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom