Hartford Athletic | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic

Reaction Score
They were always taking down all the bleachers..
"In the coming weeks, crews will start to dismantle at least half of the bleachers at Dillon Stadium, the historic South End arena that once hosted The Grateful Dead and professional sports matches. Project managers will evaluate the remaining seating along the east side of the stadium to see if it is salvageable, said Michael Freimuth, executive director of the Capital Region Development Authority, which is overseeing the effort."

Demolition To Begin On Derelict Dillon Stadium

Reaction Score
Not crazy about the turf surface.
The minor, minor league team will survive with fake grass. However, multiple weekly high school gridiron games and multiple high schools soccer games a week likely require fake grass.

Reaction Score
The minor, minor league team will survive with fake grass. However, multiple weekly high school gridiron games and multiple high schools soccer games a week likely require fake grass.

Is that confirmed? How could it be multiple a week? How many big schools will share Dillon? Also, there are other shared use facilities in USL that don’t have turf. Even the Houston Dynamo did or does share it’s stadium with Texas Southern.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is that confirmed? How could it be multiple a week? How many big schools will share Dillon? Also, there are other shared use facilities in USL that don’t have turf. Even the Houston Dynamo did or does share it’s stadium with Texas Southern.
Not sure how many schools will be using it but the plan was to have many uses for it, I believe. So it wouldn't just be high schools.

Seeing how terribly they managed the field at The Rent with just the football team playing there, I'm not upset with not having real grass. (I know it is managed by different companies) It probably saves cost as well and seeing how the state is broke, they don't need something else to throw money at that they can't afford.

Reaction Score
Confirmed? Reasonably, media reports certainly mentioned planned use by city high schools. Think about New England: By mid to late fall, how many fields used by even just one high school gridiron team are in good shape; especially financially-challenged urban schools? How could Dillon be used multiple times a week? For the City of Hartford's 3 public schools' gridiron and association football games, what's they likelihood they won't use a cleaned up Dillon with a decent field?

By contrast, Texas high school football's a religion. Throughout gridiron season, Texas weather's more than a tad bit warmer, maintenance of natural grass game-day fields is generally good to ridiculously cushy, etc. Additionally, boys and girls soccer is typically a spring sport. No difference?

"other shared use facilities in USL that don’t have turf."? And, the topic is one stadium in a borderline if not actually bankrupt city in cool to cold weather Connecticut. Relevance?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have no idea. But it sounds to me like the owners have a plan and this coach is part of it.

Reaction Score
It will be really hard to not pull for this team now that Nielsen is the manager. I may buy family some season tickets or something.

Reaction Score
Agreed. These guys seem like they know what they are doing and have a good plan. From what I have read, they have done a ton of research and collaboration with MLS execs and USL execs. Its a breath of fresh air.

Reaction Score
No way they get done by April. Too bad, they will end up with another watered down version of an already lackluster setup.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
As Renovations Continue At Dillon Stadium, Hartford Athletic Ownership Makes Plans To Play At Rentschler Field

Luckily they are a little more level headed.

Wow....just ridiculous. Has the ownership group of Hartford Athletic actually paid for the team? If I we're them, and saw this disaster, I'd pull out of the deal and not waste my money. At the rate they are going, it's going to be a $10 million grass field with porta potties and camping chairs that you need to bring yourself.

Reaction Score
Soccer Team Owner, Hartford Foundation To Cover Cost Overruns At Dillon Stadium

The owner of Hartford Athletic, the new soccer team scheduled to play at a renovated Dillon Stadium this spring, and the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving will contribute as much as $2.7 million to cover cost overruns at the historic stadium in Colt Park.

Bruce Mandell, who owns the professional team that is set to play at Dillon, said he will pay up to $1.5 million to help cover cost overruns. The money won’t buy anything flashy – it is meant to keep the basic plans intact, he said.

He has also applied for a forgivable, $800,000 loan from the state Department of Economic and Community Development to fund construction expenses. The money is contingent on Mandell creating dozens of jobs.

The Hartford Foundation is also putting in $1.2 million to pay for the turf field, along with $500,000 for improvements to Colt Park.

CRDA had weighed trimming the seating capacity to 5,000, down from 6,000 as originally planned. Mandell said that with the extra money, the capacity will now likely be 5,500.

“It was really important that we get a stadium that the city, the state and our league would be proud of,” he said. “If the experience isn’t delivered in a really great way then the project has a drag on it, and we do not want to have a drag on this project.”

Jay Williams, president of the Hartford Foundation, said his organization wants to devote funds to projects that have a community impact. The new field at Dillon may be used by youth athletic leagues and for cultural events.

Soccer Team Owner, Hartford Foundation To Cover Cost Overruns At Dillon Stadium

Reaction Score
Looks like the Charleston Battery, one of the oldest independent clubs in USL is in deep trouble and can’t pay their bills.

Reaction Score
Last I heard the Rochester Rhinos will drop to D3 in 2019 after taking 2018 off. They are leaving the stadium that was built for them.

Reaction Score

Soccer in the US is becoming 100% fixated on money whether it be using the USMNT as a marketing tool for MLS, profiting from MLS expansion fees versus being smart about expansion and looking at the globally accepted regulation model, or this.

Losing the Rhinos up in Rochester was a mess and a lot of locals are sad about it. No one has any faith that the Rhinos will even back back in 2020 as a Tier 3 team because no suburb town is going to give him the money he wants for a new, smaller stadium.

Rochester Rhinos look for new home in suburbs, plan to leave Marina Auto Stadium in city

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's next for Dillon Stadium and Hartford Athletic? A turf field, players and more

With the start of the first season of the Hartford Athletic of the United Soccer League underway in just months, work has been progressing at Dillon Stadium to turn the once dormant facility into the headquarters for pro soccer in Hartford. A ceremonial groundbreaking was held Monday for the $14 million project.

As of Monday, much of the turf field had been laid out, while cinder blocks were being placed to support the eventual bleachers. Over the coming months, the team will be signing players and announcing more specifics about the stadium and games. Here’s what fans can look forward to, and where the renovation project stands:

What's next for Dillon Stadium and Hartford Athletic? A turf field, players and more

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"The team has already made 16 signings — six of which are international players — according to coach Jimmy Nielsen"
OK

I came across this on the USL website. I'm getting psyched.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
@Palatine "With installation underway by FieldTurf USA, another major milestone has been reached in preparation for the 2019 USL Championship campaign. The state-of-the-art turf system will feature an organic infill surface that will be FIFA and World Rugby-certified. That means Dillon will be the first field to feature organic infill and achieve both prestigious certifications in North America. The field will provide a playing surface that will serve the highest level of professional soccer while allowing for increased community use. "

Reaction Score
@Palatine "With installation underway by FieldTurf USA, another major milestone has been reached in preparation for the 2019 USL Championship campaign. The state-of-the-art turf system will feature an organic infill surface that will be FIFA and World Rugby-certified. That means Dillon will be the first field to feature organic infill and achieve both prestigious certifications in North America. The field will provide a playing surface that will serve the highest level of professional soccer while allowing for increased community use. "

Supposedly that is the good stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom