Hartford Athletic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My plan was to wait until the Dillon Stadium issue was settled then go from there. I guess that makes me a Hartford Athletic fan. I like the name. I like Hooker #No Filter just steps from the games. I hate the Revs as much as the next guy, but to be honest, I can't see how being 1 of just 20 or so clubs with MLS affiliation is a bad thing. Especially the way things are these days.

Reaction Score
So what’s the benefit to the USL team? Shared resources for coaching scouting and dev?

Reaction Score
I hate the Revs as much as the next guy, but to be honest, I can't see how being 1 of just 20 or so clubs with MLS affiliation is a bad thing. Especially the way things are these days.
With the Wolf Pack in limbo, this is what Hartford needed sorely. You can't really go wrong with a top-tier minor league affiliate.

Out of all New England states, Connecticut will now have 3 top-tier minor leagie affiliates (NYI, NYR, New England Revolution), Rhode Island has 2 (Bruins, Red Sox) and Maine has 1 (Celtics).

Nets' G League team will play on Long Island, Knicks' team plays in Westchester (could potentially be placed in CT), and the Devils have their team in Binghamton. NYCFC has their USL affiliate in San Antonio.

All there's left are AAA teams for the Mets and Yankees to be placed around here and NFL teams creating an affiliated minor league. The Rent can easily take up an affiliated minor league gridiron football team.

Reaction Score
The Revs loan them players. That’s basically it.
No shared training, scrimmage/practice games, and coaching exchanges? Each would appear to be no brainers, but then it's soccer in the US

Reaction Score
No shared training, scrimmage/practice games, and coaching exchanges? Each would appear to be no brainers, but then it's soccer in the US

Logistically you have to be in the same place.

You do see that with the MLS owned USL teams.

But this is not the case and we’re talking about the Revs, which are the most half arsed MLS team around.

Reaction Score
With the Wolf Pack in limbo, this is what Hartford needed sorely..

I gotta ask (and hopefully I don't open Pandora's Box), but what is going on with the Wolf Pack and them being in Limbo?
I don't get the latest local news here in Germany; are there some rumblings I don't know about?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I gotta ask (and hopefully I don't open Pandora's Box), but what is going on with the Wolf Pack and them being in Limbo?
I don't get the latest local news here in Germany; are there some rumblings I don't know about?
The Pack just signed on for a couple more years. The XL Center's future is the issue.

Reaction Score
Logistically you have to be in the same place.
Sure it's the northeast, so a 90 minute drive's viewed as a cross country trip. However, it will be shocking if New England and Hartford have no pre-season training, practices, scrimmages, etc in Foxborough. And, if no Hartford players make the 100 mile drive for some in-season practices. Yup it's the Revs, but since when isn't NYCFC your most half arsed MLS team?

Reaction Score
Sure it's the northeast, so a 90 minute drive's viewed as a cross country trip. However, it will be shocking if New England and Hartford have no pre-season training, practices, scrimmages, etc in Foxborough. And, if no Hartford players make the 100 mile drive for some in-season practices. Yup it's the Revs, but since when isn't NYCFC your most half arsed MLS team?

Because it just doesn’t work like that.

In MLS they have preseason like baseball. They go to AZ or FL and play round robin tournaments against eachother.

It’s also expensive to bus a team to Foxboro for a bunch of practices.

NYCFC has actually shown signs of ambition. They hired Patrick Viera and are looking at a spot in the Bronx.

The Revs may not have a stadium by 2026.

Reaction Score
Because it just doesn’t work like that.

In MLS they have preseason like baseball. They go to AZ or FL and play round robin tournaments against eachother.

It’s also expensive to bus a team to Foxboro for a bunch of practices.

NYCFC has actually shown signs of ambition. They hired Patrick Viera and are looking at a spot in the Bronx.

The Revs may not have a stadium by 2026.
Fair enough, yet I won't be surprised to learn of some New England/Hartford scrimmages, coaching exchanges, etc. That's a no brainer, but then we're discussing a few too many non-existent MLS brains.

FCNYC proposed stadium # 739: Developers may potentially be involved, but significant challenges exist as with the preceding #s 1-738, e.g, approval of housing and commercial space to finance potential stadium development, a river and bridge constrained plot of land with purportedly no future expansion potential, etc. Even by metro NY standards, development above a rail yard reportedly would be massively expensive. However even if # 739's thrown out, FCNYC's still more likely to play a game in its' own, developed stadium before New England unless the Krafts sell the Revs.

Would the Kraft jokers hire Patrick Viera? NFW! However, the World Cup winning athlete arrived with even less management experience than even your man Earnie Stewart. All joking aside, Viera's hiring was an ambitious marketing coup. Against the risks of a relatively inexperienced coach with zero knowledge of MLS and its' challenges, FCNYC lucked out relatively well.

Acknowledging FCNYC's referenced relative success, IMHO Domènec Torrent's hiring exhibits more legitimate coaching ambition than Viera. After losing Viera to Nice, it must really sukc to end up with Torrent's extensive experience as Pep Guardiola's sidekick and much more actual coaching and management background than Viera. Clearly, FCNYC's not New England with their coaching newby Brad Freidel. ;)

Reaction Score
Fair enough, yet I won't be surprised to learn of some New England/Hartford scrimmages, coaching exchanges, etc. That's a no brainer, but then we're discussing a few too many non-existent MLS brains.

FCNYC proposed stadium # 739: Developers may potentially be involved, but significant challenges exist as with the preceding #s 1-738, e.g, approval of housing and commercial space to finance potential stadium development, a river and bridge constrained plot of land with purportedly no future expansion potential, etc. Even by metro NY standards, development above a rail yard reportedly would be massively expensive. However even if # 739's thrown out, FCNYC's still more likely to play a game in its' own, developed stadium before New England unless the Krafts sell the Revs.

Would the Kraft jokers hire Patrick Viera? NFW! However, the World Cup winning athlete arrived with even less management experience than even your man Earnie Stewart. All joking aside, Viera's hiring was an ambitious marketing coup. Against the risks of a relatively inexperienced coach with zero knowledge of MLS and its' challenges, FCNYC lucked out relatively well.

Acknowledging FCNYC's referenced relative success, IMHO Domènec Torrent's hiring exhibits more legitimate coaching ambition than Viera. After losing Viera to Nice, it must really sukc to end up with Torrent's extensive experience as Pep Guardiola's sidekick and much more actual coaching and management background than Viera. Clearly, FCNYC's not New England with their coaching newby Brad Freidel. ;)

Viera was running Man City’s Academy and his managerial potential was in demand. Luck had nothing to do with it. He is a good manager.

I mean Zidane had little experience but it didn’t matter.

Stewart isn’t an manager, he is a GM type not apples to apples.

NYCFC is actually actively trying to get a stadium site. The Revs, not so much.

Reaction Score
Viera was running Man City’s Academy and his managerial potential was in demand. Luck had nothing to do with it. He is a good manager.
Yup, Viera's management potential based far more on his playing career, skills, etc. than a Man City academy management role of < 2 years. C'mon, your boy Stewart had far more management experience than Viera had actual coaching experience. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yup, Viera's management potential based far more on his playing career, skills, etc. than a Man City academy management role of < 2 years. C'mon, your boy Stewart had far more management experience than Viera had actual coaching experience. :rolleyes:

He’s. Not. A. Manager.

Reaction Score
More green and blue? Are the people of Hartford really lacking in imagination?

We're like Pittsburgh, except without any major league sports teams.

Reaction Score
We're like Pittsburgh, except without any major league sports teams.
The black and gold represents the steel industry, if I am correct. Penguins used to have different colors, at least. But to copy the Whalers? Weak.

Reaction Score
The black and gold originates from the city seal.

But hey, East Hartford uses green and blue in their town seal. We're all set to go! :confused:

Reaction Score
One snag.

If you’re a fan of HA.

Does that make you an Athletic Supporter?

This might go well with the Rhode Island School of Design mascot, the "Nads". Much of their gear says "Go Nads!" Maybe a feeder program!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom