Happy Hour with Coach Hurley on May 30! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Happy Hour with Coach Hurley on May 30!

Reaction Score
A bunch of LOB questions. Ask him directly is Uconn basketball interested in Heron? Are there any returning players on shaky grounds? Is Uconn interested in joining the Big East for non-football sports? These are the real questions.

Why would you want to front the new coach at a meet and great like that? Not the right forum. It would be very low rent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since nobody mentioned it the elevators must be working at the Rent. Good news in this weather.

Let’s see if we can keep them working for a big 6 home football games!

Reaction Score
I was very impressed buy Hurley he approached my wife and I and had a great chat. I do believe he was the right guy at the right time.
I was also impressed with the staff he has assembled. I believe the staff has good chemistry and we will not see a bunch of coaches sitting on the bench with miserable faces like we had the last few years.

Hurley knows what he has to do to turn this thing around and definitely has a plan. I was also impressed with his respect for our history.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was very impressed by Hurley, he approached my wife
thumbs-up.gif

All right Danny!
[Edited to remove original posters name. Apparently I touched a nerve.]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Andy Katz talks too much. Would’ve liked a Q&A from the audience but it was the Andy Katz show
No spitting match here, in my opinion Andy did a great job of what he was paid to do. An MC to introduce the new staff and ask questions that have already been answered in print but folks wanted to hear live. Whimsical, knowledgeable, one faux pas, but entertaining.

A bunch of LOB questions. Ask him directly is Uconn basketball interested in Heron? Are there any returning players on shaky grounds? Is Uconn interested in joining the Big East for non-football sports? These are the real questions.
NO hate here while I agree your questions are real, they are also a bit silly. First the Heron thing would never be discussed in public until it happened.
As for the returning players coach discussed each and every one and what they need from the staff or to work on themselves.
The Big East thing....really ???? I will refrain from using the head banging the wall on that one.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Interesting takeaway: Eric Cobb gets an Andre Berry comparison.

I think most of us are in agreement with Carlton starting at the 5, but if Cobb can contribute in that kind of role...we will be in very good shape.

CL82

Reaction Score
Hurley will begin installing what he described to the fans as “man-pressure” defense, aiming to make teams uncomfortable.

“My season starts with summer workouts,” he said. “We’re about to get after it on Monday at a level that’s probably going to be uncomfortable for them for a while, as they adjust to the intensity level my teams work at. It’s different. The pace of my practices is something you’ve got to adjust to.”

:D

Reaction Score
Hurley on the roster (in the order he named them):

Jalen- off the charts skill level, if he gets in the best shape of his life, gets body right, lives in gym this summer, works on his perimeter shot, they feel he can be AAC Player of the Year and be drafted. But he needs to be razor sharp and make a big commitment. Getting fresh start has a way of reenergizing people, has a chance to change the narrative of his career.

Gilbert- we have been lacking a leader the last couple years, has every intangible quality, toughness, leadership, has a huge heart, starts shooting next week, can start doing stuff on court during the summer, keep him out until September, wrap bubble wrap around him, difference maker.

Vital- great work ethic, competitive, emotional, staff can connect with him, get him guided in right direction. Good defender and shooter.

Polley- has length and size, shoots good, body is underdeveloped, strength program will be intense, will help him, if he can put 10-12 pounds he could be a big factor and stretch the floor. Can play big wing or stretch 4.

Carlton- great frame and potential. Skill level is high. Can do some things that we probably can't think he can do but we need to develop his motor, intensity, and physicality. Strength program big for him. Big future with us.

Mamadou- We need him to be a butt kicker. Needs to become a beast out there. Hasn't seen that on film. Been giving him a hard time about that. Needs to be an enforcer type. Like KFree. Better shooter than we think. Can step out as an undersized 4 and hit shots.

Whaley- athletic guy, a lot of upside, hard tryer. Has a lot of work do on his skill work and fundementals.

Cobb- can help us if he gets his weight down to about 240. Played at around 270 last year. Very skilled. Needs to restart senior year and be all in.

Someone from audience or assistant coach mentions Sid to Hurley....

Wilson- El Sid he called him. He's a freshman. He's an exciting guy to work with because of his skill set, multi positional, very athletic, needs a quality intense strength program. He's developing and has talent, needs to live in gym, a lot of work to do.

Hurley than asks is that everyone? Told no and someone mentions Kwintin.

Kwintin- calls him JUMP. Athletic guy, trying to figure out where he might play, intense guy, wants to be good.

Than mentions the newcomers.

Yawkwe- we didnt have a lot of rim protection last year or athleticism up front, we will pressure the dribbler so we needed to find some size than can block shots, brings value there. Big time athlete and we play an athletic game. We will get beat off the dribble because we pressure the ball.

Tarin- A10 6 man of year, had great year, he really upgrades our perimeter, tenacious D, tremendous passer, very athletic, he's a winner.

Both transfers will help our culture, they are smart, hard workers, good students, about winning, both will help us in changing culture and helping our Win Loss record.

Brendan- 6'4 combo guard, can shoot, good offensive player, good size, comes from great pedigree. Short term and long term solution. Beat Georgia and Georgia Tech for him at URI.

Style of play- We want to dictate the terms of the game, be the aggressor on both ends of court, how we compete, first thing you will see that will exciteus is the how hard we will compete, no team in the country will play as hard as we do, defend at a high level, see pressure man defense, not alot of gimmicks, full court pressure, we thrive on deflections, try to block shots, intimidate opponent. Fast way to turn around a program is play really good defense and play really hard, offensively get ball down court as quickly as possible, score in transition. Team at URI was primary guard oriented because they can't get quality bigs in the A10. You won't see a hint of selfishness. You will see a true team that represents UConn across its chest. That's what we will see Year 1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley on the roster (in the order he named them):

Jalen- off the charts skill level, if he gets in the best shape of his life, gets body right, lives in gym this summer, works on his perimeter shot, they feel he can be AAC Player of the Year and be drafted. But he needs to be razor sharp and make a big commitment. Getting fresh start has a way of reenergizing people, has a chance to change the narrative of his career.

Gilbert- we have been lacking a leader the last couple years, has every intangible quality, toughness, leadership, has a huge heart, starts shooting next week, can start doing stuff on court during the summer, keep him out until September, wrap bubble wrap around him, difference maker.

Vital- great work ethic, competitive, emotional, staff can connect with him, get him guided in right direction. Good defender and shooter.

Polley- has length and size, shoots good, body is underdeveloped, strength program will be intense, will help him, if he can put 10-12 pounds he could be a big factor and stretch the floor. Can play big wing or stretch 4.

Carlton- great frame and potential. Skill level is high. Can do some things that we probably can't think he can do but we need to develop his motor, intensity, and physicality. Strength program big for him. Big future with us.

Mamadou- We need him to be a butt kicker. Needs to become a beast out there. Hasn't seen that on film. Been giving him a hard time about that. Needs to be an enforcer type. Like KFree.

Whaley- athletic guy, a lot of upside, hard tryer.

Cobb- can help us if he gets his weight down to about 240. Played at around 270 last year. Very skilled.

Someone from audience or assistant coach yelled What about Sid?

Wilson- El Sid he called him. He's an exciting guy to work with because of his skill set, multi positional, very athletic, needs a quality intense strength program. He's developing and has talent, needs to live in gym, a lot of work to do.

Hurley than asks is that everyone? Told no and someone mentions Kwintin.

Kwintin- calls him JUMP. Athletic guy, trying to figure out where he might play, intense guy, wants to be good.

Than mentions the newcomers.

Yawkwe- we didnt have a lot of rim protection last year or athleticism up front, we will pressure the dribbler so we needed to find some size than can block shots, brings value there. Big time athlete and we play an athletic game. We will get beat off the dribble because we pressure the ball.

Tarin- A10 6 man of year, had great year, he really upgrades our perimeter, tenacious D, tremendous passer, very athletic, he's a winner.

Both transfers will help our culture, they are smart, hard workers, good students, about winning, both will help us in changing culture and helping our Win Loss record.

Brendan- combo guard, can shoot, good offensive player, good size, comes from great pedigree. Short term and long term solution. Beat Georgia and Georgia Tech for him at URI.

Style of play- We want to dictate the terms of the game, be the aggressor on both ends of court, how we compete, irst thing you will see that will excite is the how hard we will compete, no team in the country will play as hard as anyone in the country, defend at a high level, see pressure man defense, not alot of gimmicks, full court pressure, we thrive on deflections, try to block shots, intimidate opponent. Fast way to turn around a program is play really good defense and play really hard, offensively get ball down court as quickly as possible, score in transition. Team at URI was primary guard oriented because they can't get quality bigs in the A10. You won't see a hint of selfishness. You will see a true team that represents UConn across its chest. That's what we will see Year 1.

Sweet.

Love beating Georgia Tech for players.

Anyway, I think this is basically what we all think about each of these players (?)

CL82

Reaction Score
Man, I like these guys. Great energy and they are all singing off the same song sheet. They want to get UConn back to the top of college basketball. I really got the sense that they are sincere in that.

They also seem pretty real, genuinely funny and have good chemistry. Hard to imagine how we could have done much better.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I like the visual of Dan Hurley watching film from last season with players one-on-one.
I can only picture him laughing and saying "What in the world is going on here? What are the coaches running, do you call this a play? And Mamadou what the hell are you doing here?".

Reaction Score
I like the visual of Dan Hurley watching film from last season with players one-on-one.
I can only picture him laughing and saying "What in the world is going on here? What are the coaches running, do you call this a play? And Mamadou what the hell are you doing here?".

Coach drew the biggest round of applause when he said " I hate Duke"

C

Chief00

No spitting match here, in my opinion Andy did a great job of what he was paid to do. An MC to introduce the new staff and ask questions that have already been answered in print but folks wanted to hear live. Whimsical, knowledgeable, one faux pas, but entertaining.
I hear you but there’s no way while the KO thing is going on, can Hurley be subjected to loose canon questions that could impact the litigation.

Smart move.

Reaction Score
That's a pro

He also quickly brought up to me how good European players are and that we "knew that a long time ago". He brought up Nadav and Scheffer. Can't believe he forgot Katz and Cohen-Mintz. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom