Hannah Gusters??? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hannah Gusters???

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'm not about assists as much as championships. I still haven't heard anything to refute the need for multiple bigs and folks under appreciating Stokes isn't it either. I still haven't heard anyone refute that only essentially having 5 players is good enough either. Therefore I go back to my original thought that we need multiple bigs in an actual playing rotation. I think 3 would be optimum and a 4th would be utopia. On the other end, I also think we need a speedy mini PG and a PG with size and some physicality so we are versatile and can switch up the game when we want to. There needs to be 7-8 players in a real rotation to win #12. 5 or 6 isn't going to cut it so the thought of limiting recruiting for the hope of a particular fickle teenager to choose you is ridiculous in my opinion.

Well, OK, I was going to stay out of this, but since you're doubling down. Last year ND won a championship with 6'4" Shepherd and 6'2" Westbeld and no bench. The year before SC actually played better once Coates went down, effectively leaving Wilson as the only big by how you seem to be considering bigs. The year before there was 6'4" Stewart and 6'2" Tuck and an underused and undersized bench. The Charles/Moore championships featured 6'4" Charles and 6'0" Moore at the 4/5. Their back-ups were a 6'2" McLaren and another 6'0" Gardler. This is noteworthy because Irwin is at least as good as Gardler, and taller, but Auriemma has changed his substitution policy lately, to the tune of 12 straight Final Fours. 2002 we know had no one over 6'2" in the starting line-up. 2000 had 6'5" Schumacher and our 6'2" phenoms. Some of these had 7-8 player rotations, ND had a 6 player rotation at best and no one over 6'0" saw appreciable minutes in the Stewart/Tuck year. So there you have it, and with absolutely no "spin."

Reaction Score
Well, OK, I was going to stay out of this, but since you're doubling down. Last year ND won a championship with 6'4" Shepherd and 6'2" Westbeld and no bench. The year before SC actually played better once Coates went down, effectively leaving Wilson as the only big by how you seem to be considering bigs. The year before there was 6'4" Stewart and 6'2" Tuck and an underused and undersized bench. The Charles/Moore championships featured 6'4" Charles and 6'0" Moore at the 4/5. Their back-ups were a 6'2" McLaren and another 6'0" Gardler. This is noteworthy because Irwin is at least as good as Gardler, and taller, but Auriemma has changed his substitution policy lately, to the tune of 12 straight Final Fours. 2002 we know had no one over 6'2" in the starting line-up. 2000 had 6'5" Schumacher and our 6'2" phenoms. Some of these had 7-8 player rotations, ND had a 6 player rotation at best and no one over 6'0" saw appreciable minutes in the Stewart/Tuck year. So there you have it, and with absolutely no "spin."
Why do you always have to screw these guys up with facts?

Reaction Score
I will double, triple, and quadruple down on the need for multiple bigs and UConn success. I could care less what other teams did. You actually proved my point. McClaren was a good player and was the third front court player who got real minutes.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The drought of UConn having "multiple" BIGS (post players) on its roster lately. The drought UConn experienced so far this year having only 1 player (Griffin) signing up for next year from the 2019 class.
Geno and staff did their due diligence in their recruiting. The players they wanted simply chose to go else where. Thank God for ONO, or UConn would be in dire straights. The tallest players on the roster would be reserves Kayla Irwin and Batouly Camara at 6'2".

The basketball Gods (thus far) have not smiled down on the program as in recent years. I have a feeling that things are about to change for the better soon. I expect the basketball office to release news of UConn signing several players for next season in the coming weeks. When they do...... ;)
Next time I'll include :rolleyes: when I make a similar comment.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can UConn as is height wise beat a very good team that out sizes us? Of course. But it wouldn’t hurt either to have better height against some teams. I think one of the principle values of having a true big kid to play alongside ONO is that it moves Walker to her most natural spot as a small forward to more or less describe her skill set. It also gives some flexibility if ONO isn’t available even if it’s only foul trouble. I think it’s a pipe dream to think Kyla is the answer against good teams and Batouly, who knows. She has the skills but very questionable health. She’s the best answer among the current team. If UConn is going to be an NC contender next year, a big with experience and an outside shooter with experience would make a big difference. Maybe Griffin can fill the bill but we all know that most frosh don’t make an immediate impact.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I will double, triple, and quadruple down on the need for multiple bigs and UConn success. I could care less what other teams did. You actually proved my point. McClaren was a good player and was the third front court player who got real minutes.

Oh, my bad. Sorry. I did not know you considered someone like the 6'0" Moore a "big." You should have defined what you meant by a big at the start, then you would find that everyone agrees with you instead of creating spin. Yes, we do need at least three players 6'0" or taller to play the 4/5 spots. No question. Of course, a few people have pointed out that championships have been won by 6 player rotations, including UConn. Since you've declared my post proves your point, likely the only person that thinks that, I suspect we should not accept your challenge to provide proof that counters your confident assertions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With AAU tournaments around the corner, this year more than ever, it will be very interesting to see where Geno and his staff show up. I certainly expect that Geno will be in the stands watching Ms. Gusters.

Reaction Score
Oh, my bad. Sorry. I did not know you considered someone like the 6'0" Moore a "big." You should have defined what you meant by a big at the start, then you would find that everyone agrees with you instead of creating spin. Yes, we do need at least three players 6'0" or taller to play the 4/5 spots. No question. Of course, a few people have pointed out that championships have been won by 6 player rotations, including UConn. Since you've declared my post proves your point, likely the only person that thinks that, I suspect we should not accept your challenge to provide proof that counters your confident assertions.
It's not just about the height. It's about height, width, and style of play. Moore counted as front court because of her play but let's remember her senior year where she couldn't get it done herself without Charles. Right now they are trying to make Walker an exclusive front court player and she just isn't. She is a wing and we need a player at a height and width who can take over the 4 spot and let her move over to the 3 for periods of time. It would also be great to have Westbrook on the court for periods of time when Walker is playing the 4. Bent and Irwin can't do those things and as much as I love the idea of Camara, not sure her body is going to allow her to do what her mind wants to do. Griffin is a freshman and not ready.

Reaction Score
We ran UConn’s offense pretty darn well, setting an NCAA single season assist record in 2016-17, with two forwards who went 6’1” & 5’11”.
Dude, as with many points, we seem to agree. My point related to "rebounding talent," not height. That being said, not too many 5'11" rebounding machines like Gabby out there to recruit.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Any new or updated guesstimations as to when and for whom Ms. Gusters might announce?

Reaction Score
Any new or updated guesstimations as to when and for whom Ms. Gusters might announce?

Judging by her twitter feed, I would guess she is headed to Baylor.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Judging by her twitter feed, I would guess she is headed to Baylor.

In the last week she’s retweeted one of PB’s tweets, Evina’s UConn announcement, and just one Baylor’s posts.

UConn is winning 2-1... this week.

Don’t look too deeply into those Twitter tea leaves.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
In the last week she’s retweeted one of PB’s tweets, Evina’s UConn announcement, and just one Baylor’s posts.

UConn is winning 2-1... this week.

Don’t look too deeply into those Twitter tea leaves.

Hopefully, a trip to the UCONN Dairy Bar sealed the deal. That's the one big advantage we have over the Texas schools. Even if they make their own ice cream at some TX universities, Blue Bell is such an iconic local brand that you never hear about any ice cream made at the schools. It's so good they've survived the negative press from the recall a few years back when they had a listeria contamination.

However, as good as Blue Bell is, it doesn't hold a candle to what you get at the UCONN Dairy Bar...the finest ice cream known to mankind.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Hopefully, a trip to the UCONN Dairy Bar sealed the deal. That's the one big advantage we have over the Texas schools. Even if they make their own ice cream at some TX universities, Blue Bell is such an iconic local brand that you never hear about any ice cream made at the schools. It's so good they've survived the negative press from the recall a few years back when they had a listeria contamination.

However, as good as Blue Bell is, it doesn't hold a candle to what you get at the UCONN Dairy Bar...the finest ice cream known to mankind.

The Oreo milkshakes really sealed the deal for me. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Having lived in the South for a time, one of the things I’ve always found odd is that the variety and quality of ice cream appears to be much better in the North. You would think with the warmer weather in the South, it would be different.

Living in upstate NY now and I love picking up a few individual pints of different flavors from Stewarts, the regional chain that dots every small town in the state. There’s literally nothing like it down South.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
... it’s very hard for a Texas kid to leave the state of Texas.
Once inside, it's not easy for anyone to leave Texas. It was once a foreign Country. It is 54 times the size of Connecticut. It was a legendary crossing for anyone. It still is.

Samarie Walker was supposedly homesick, being 687 miles from her Ohio home. El Paso is 800 miles from Galveston, and you never leave Texas.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Once inside, it's not easy for anyone to leave Texas. It was once a foreign Country. It is 54 times the size of Connecticut. It was a legendary crossing for anyone. It still is.

Samarie Walker was supposedly homesick, being 687 miles from her Ohio home. El Paso is 800 miles from Galveston, and you never leave Texas.
View attachment 43219
It also helps that the state of TX has no less than 23 D1 basketball programs including 3 perennial top 25 powers (Baylor, TX, A&M).

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
It also helps that the state of TX has no less than 23 D1 basketball programs including 3 perennial top 25 powers (Baylor, TX, A&M).
And four current or past NCAA WCBB champion schools, if you throw in Texas Tech. No other state has more than 2 (CA, IN)

Reaction Score
Can UConn as is height wise beat a very good team that out sizes us? Of course. But it wouldn’t hurt either to have better height against some teams. I think one of the principle values of having a true big kid to play alongside ONO is that it moves Walker to her most natural spot as a small forward to more or less describe her skill set. It also gives some flexibility if ONO isn’t available even if it’s only foul trouble. I think it’s a pipe dream to think Kyla is the answer against good teams and Batouly, who knows. She has the skills but very questionable health. She’s the best answer among the current team. If UConn is going to be an NC contender next year, a big with experience and an outside shooter with experience would make a big difference. Maybe Griffin can fill the bill but we all know that most frosh don’t make an immediate impact.
The only thing that keeps Kyla from getting more minutes is that she needs someone shouting in her ear, "Shoot the damn ball. You're wide open." On many teams she'd be a super star. As for ONO, guarding in college is a lot tougher than high school and, along with strength training, if she learns to guard without fouling UConn is going to be just fine, thank you.

Reaction Score

View attachment 43219
Getting out of Texas should be appealing, though it is gradually changing for the better. Colorado recruits heavily in Texas with great success. On visits coaches stop at the overlook on the outskirts of Boulder, then hand potential recruits signing papers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Getting out of Texas should be appealing, though it is gradually changing for the better.
What's changing for the better, Texas or getting out of it?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I spoke with people who saw ONO in the 3 on 3 games and said she has WNBA moves. Translate that into she should be pretty good the next 3 years. Will Gusters or some other big come...I think so. I think Geno knows exactly what he's doing thats why he makes over 2 million a year and many of us on the Boneyard dont . There are teams out there with players 6'9 and those kids dont see much playtime. There are teams with several bigs that dont play. So when you see a team with a bunch of bigs understand you only need one or two bigs who can play not more then that because theyre sitting on the bench. For now we have a great roster and great classes coming in the next 2 years. We have potential game changers. Geno doesnt listen to the Boneyard or most other people and look at his record???? Not bad HUH.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom