Hannah Gusters??? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hannah Gusters???

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think the question is how many overall #1 picks in the WNBA draft (obviously they would have to be in different years) played together on the same college team (or maybe just at the same school). Maya and Tina satisfy the first definition although they have always played for different WNBA teams. Sue and Stewie satisfy the second definition, having played for the same school in college and for the same team in the WNBA after having been drafted #1 overall in 2002 and 2016 respectively.

Here is a simpler question: How many #1 overall WNBA draft picks has UConn had? I can think of Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya, and Stewie. Are there any others?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This raises a question: How many #1 overall picks played with another #1 overall in college?

Sue and Diana

Tina and Maya

Chiney and Nneka?

Catch and Chamique?
I am pretty sure that Nneka was not #1 overall, and I am almost sure that Tamika Catchings was #3 overall in 2001 because she had torn an ACL late in her senior season and could not play for Indiana that summer.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that Nneka was not #1 overall, and I am almost sure that Tamika Catchings was #3 overall in 2001 because she had torn an ACL late in her senior season and could not play for Indiana that summer.

Nneka was #1 overall in 2012.

In 01 it was Lauren Jackson

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can’t speak for anyone else, but a commitment by 6'5" 5 star recruit Hannah Gusters to UConn would certainly lift my spirits, and make my day (year). :) She would be a HUGE get for us. She's ranked the #1 post player in 2020 by Hoopgurlzs and Prospect Nation. Hoopgurlzs class of 2020.

That's Aliyah Boston she's guarding. Gusters seems to have things under control here. Wouldn't you like to see her in a UConn uniform in the fall of 2020? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Jasmine Lister just started following Gusters' Instagram account today.
This may also be why we haven’t heard anything about UConn pursuing a BIG in the transfer sweepstakes. If Geno believes he’ll have Gusters in 2020 to go along with Liv, he probably wouldn’t pursue Cooks, Patterson, etc.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Another Gusters question.

She didn't play much or any of her junior year after switching schools. The details of the switch SEEMED to be awkward.

Is this situation any cause of concern?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

She didn't play much or any of her junior year after switching schools. The details of the switch SEEMED to be awkward.

Not sure why it would compromise her as a recruit for college ball.

The ruling by the UIL (the governing body of Texas high school sports) was that she had transferred from Duncanville to Irving MacArthur for athletic purposes. Thus not eligible to play this past season.

Awkward for her high school career? Sure. But barely a blip on the radar for her collegiate prospects.

Edit to add: Interestingly, it was in the course of the UIL hearings over Gusters' eligibility that some text messages supposedly implicating legendary Duncanville coach Cathy Self-Morgan in illegal recruiting activity were brought to light, ultimately leading to CSM's abrupt retirement at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not really. For the top 40 or so players, the summer AAU season is their real competition and also when the college coaches can evaluate them better against quality competition. Most of them are not really pushed to improve during their HS schedules.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I saw that Jasmine was following her, but I just started following Jasmine (I’m late, I know) so I didn’t know it was that recent. These tea leaves could be looking pretty promising...

Not seeing the excitement in this. What does it tell us, other than the fact that UConn is recruiting her -- which we already knew?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom