Hanley Ramirez to Boston | The Boneyard

Hanley Ramirez to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Sox are looking to add Hanley Ramirez on a 5/$90m deal today.

They still want Sandoval for 3b and HR would play the outfield...the outfield that already has Betts, JBJ, Craig, Victorino, and the two Cubans. They have something in mind for those guys to land a starting pitcher or two, I'm sure. Or not, this is Larry Luchino and co. after all.

Reaction Score
Strange way to spend money. Either player would be fine but 2 players that play the same position? The Sox need pitching not another outfielder. I like the Sandoval signing but Ramirez has been a problem in the past. Maybe they are going to package one of them in a deal that would bring a starter.

Reaction Score
Wow. Shocked they signed both.

Now trade Bogartes for Hamels?

And sign Lester.

Reaction Score
Guess there won't be a lot of whining about the Yanks and how much they spend at least!:eek:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Panda and HanRam to Boston.

Now they should sign Lester and offer Philly Bogaerts and Owens for Hamels. Philly should take that - nets them a SS replacement for Rollins and a potential ace arm to replace Hamels.

Reaction Score
I'll admit that I didn't see the Hanley Ramirez deal coming but I don't see them moving Bogaerts or Owens for Hamels. I still would like to see them sign Jon Lester and package up a deal for Chris Sale.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sale would definitely cost the Sox a premium price tag. Bogaerts and Owens as a start, plus a few lower level prospects. But if they're going all in, like it appears that they're doing with these signings, then they should do it. And go all in on Lester too.

Reaction Score
Don't understand why the Sox would give Panda that big contract, if the rumors are true. He hasn't hit more than 16 HR since 2011 and hasn't batted .300 since 2011. Defensively hes average (career 0 defensive runs saved) and 2011 is the only year hes ever played GG caliber defense (+15 DRS); his other years he is mostly negative DRS. He has a Prince Fielderesque body type which does not bode well for aging and the bell curve for baseball players and aging is they start to fall off/decline by the time they hit 30 with their prime years coming in the 27-29 age range. Also players with Panda's body type tend to age worse than other body types. He has already had a consistent decline since his 2011 year. He has more years of sub .800 OPS than years above .800. Right now he seems to be a .280ish hitter with a .740-780 OPS while providing league average defense.

His Babe Ruthian post season performances have made him a media darling that has boosted his price tag.

Chase Headley would be a better signing when considering money. Better defender, adequate offense (switch hitter), and lower price tag while probably providing about the same WAR of the next 5 years.

IF the Sox finalize both signings it shows they are going for it and wont object to moving prospects for a front line starter. Moving the prospects for a pitcher to put you over the hump is the only time you take those chances. I still don't see them moving Bogaerts although they may have to if they want a top line starter.

Reaction Score
Between these 2 guys they have one 100rbi season! That's a lot of cash for a ton of mediocrity isn't it? My the times have changed!

Reaction Score
The free agent class next year is not that great. This year's isn't too hot either. So you either start the year with a 120 million dollar payroll and get crushed by the media and fans while the yankees outspend you by 100 million, or you go out and sign the best talent you can and try to keep the years as short as possible - if possible.

And Lester, who I think will now sign without doubt. hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks.

Reaction Score
My guess at the lineup if they really care about going back and forth L/R

CF Betts
2B Pedroia
DH Ortiz
LF Ramirez
3B Sandoval
1B Napoli
SS Bogaerts
RF Castillo
C Vazquez

If they don't care about L/R, I could see Napoli go 5 and Sandoval 6

That's a pretty damn good lineup

Reaction Score
Trading Bogarts and Owens would be dumb. Both should be off the table.
So should Swihart.
Between these 2 guys they have one 100rbi season! That's a lot of cash for a ton of mediocrity isn't it? My the times have changed!
Totally agree with you. Neither player is a super-star but apparently they will be getting super star bucks. Hanley has had trouble staying on the field the last few years and is not a strong defender. Pablo has never come close to knocking in 100 RBI. But both players have been very, very good in the post-season.

Reaction Score

CF Betts
2B Pedroia
DH Ortiz
LF Ramirez
3B Sandoval
1B Napoli
SS Bogaerts
RF Castillo
C Vazquez

Agreed, that's a good line-up but if Victorino is healthy this spring, he is probably a better option than Hanley Ramirez.

Reaction Score

CF Betts
2B Pedroia
DH Ortiz
LF Ramirez
3B Sandoval
1B Napoli
SS Bogaerts
RF Castillo
C Vazquez

They are going to need a good lineup especially if they don't sign 2 starters.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

If you look at HR's career stats and conclude they're "mediocre," you ought to schedule an appointment with an eye doctor. Geez. 100 RBI? You do realize he batted lead off, right? He's had ONE bad season in his career, 2 good seasons, and 6 outstanding seasons. Not sure which player you're talking about actually. You want to say he's injury prone or say you think his bat was slow this year, okay. But don't pretend he's had a mediocre career.

As for Sandoval, you're acting like we're still in the steroid era. Panda got similar offers from other teams. That's his value. He's 28.

The Sox FO is just accumulating assets. Unexpected but there's a method to the madness. We'll get a couple starters.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Agreed, that's a good line-up but if Victorino is healthy this spring, he is probably a better option than Hanley Ramirez.

What the what?

Reaction Score
They are going to need a good lineup especially if they don't sign 2 starters.
I get the feeling they are going all in this offseason, trying to strike quickly in FA. They are going to try to sign a bunch of guys and then trade once they sign their targets. Dictating things on their terms.

Makes no sense to sign Panda and Hanley and then call it day. Certainly possible they move on to Lester and Miller in the next week or two and then just go into full trade mode to fill the remainder of the holes.

It's possible they go over the luxury tax for one year and then go back under once quite a few contracts come off the books in 2016.

Reaction Score
If you look at HR's career stats and conclude they're "mediocre," you ought to schedule an appointment with an eye doctor. Geez. 100 RBI? You do realize he batted lead off, right? He's had ONE bad season in his career, 2 good seasons, and 6 outstanding seasons. Not sure which player you're talking about actually. You want to say he's injury prone or say you think his bat was slow this year, okay. But don't pretend he's had a mediocre career.

As for Sandoval, you're acting like we're still in the steroid era. Panda got similar offers from other teams. That's his value. He's 28.

The Sox FO is just accumulating assets. Unexpected but there's a method to the madness. We'll get a couple starters.

Did I need the :oops: to show my sarcasm nomar? You out of everyone not sensing a Yankee fan watching other teams get better while his team does zero!

Oh well I had fun with it nonetheless but baseball won't be very fun in my world for quite a while I'm sensing.

Reaction Score
The free agent class next year is not that great. This year's isn't too hot either. So you either start the year with a 120 million dollar payroll and get crushed by the media and fans while the yankees outspend you by 100 million, or you go out and sign the best talent you can and try to keep the years as short as possible - if possible.

And Lester, who I think will now sign without doubt. hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks.

Amazing, but predictable. Need to throw in the "Yankees" when you spend 200M in one day huh? How many other teams can do that - take the Yankees out. I'm guessing the fact you can't say the 'Yankees bought this..." blah blah blah makes this okay suddenly? Funny stuff but your consistent Vike!

By the way it actually is ok, it's not your money you're just a fan.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
The Hanley Ramirez signing is a gamble, high risk, high reward, it will be interesting. But the Panda one was a severe blow to this Yankees fan. I watched Panda out in Ess since he came up (I was living in the Bay Area and hope to return this summer). The guy is just not to be underestimated. Sort of a mix of Yogi and Manny as a hitter, there is no strike zone, just balls he hits and balls he doesn't. The knock that he doesn't get RBI is a bit of the way the Giants line-up has been, they simply didn't have a good front end of the order. (Remember 9th spot is the pitcher too) But that punch of Panda - Posey was damn good. Panda didn't drive in runs because no one was in scoring position, but he moved that runner from first to third better than most. And Panda will be a fan favorite and a great clubhouse guy - unlike the pariah the Yankees signed way back when. (Never wanted him, wished they didn't re-sign him when he opted out. Biggest mistake free agent signing ever, and I remember Andy Hawkins era!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom