Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hamilton doesn't get it. He needs a lot of work on his game/body to stick in the league. His play was mistake ridden this year. Success comes through mastering the details. A third year of college should have been a no brainer for him. No shortcuts to success. He had a hard time physically making it through a college season +/- 40 games. How could he expect to make it through a NBA season? lol! Not trying to bash him. I just think his approach to developing his career is immature. He should be listening to Kevin Ollie. I highly doubt Ollie thinks Hamilton's game is ready for the pros.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If that is what he said, statistically speaking, it's hard to argue with him. Would be hard to find another UConn player with 800+ points, 580+ rebounds and 290+ assists in their first two seasons.
Yeah, tcf. But it is one of those weird combination of skills thresholds. Better than "jack of all trades and master of none" but in that direction.
He took 411 shots to score 385 points this year. His shooting percentage was, tied with Gibbs for worst on the team except for Cassel Jr. That is pretty bad shooting. Very good rebounder for his size. Pretty good assists guy but less so when you account for turnovers.
What made me love DHam was his potential (and his flashes of greatness) more than what he actually accomplished.
Wish him well but this is likely a very negative thing he is doing to himself.

Those saying he can develop playing for pay, maybe. But they would sooner move on to the next player than worry about the development of anyone they don't have millions of dollars invested in. And DHam won't be one of those guys

Reaction Score
This is an atrocious decision on his part. Doesn't have the size, his stock isn't high and frankly - he's just not NBA ready at this point. Boat was far more ready at this point than DHam is now and we know how that turned out. I can't believe he thinks this is a sound decision on his part.

And he hasn't 'accomplished' anything other than just being a decent player on one bad team and another incredibly mediocre one.

Reaction Score
What a shame for the program and Daniel. I thought he could have had a Donyell-like Sophomore to Junior transformation and significantly bettered his chances of making the NBA. I'm just not buying the family needs support bit. Isaac is a year older, a better NBA prospect and so far there is no word that he's leaving early. Daniel's body language just didn't look good at times this year, didn't seem like he was truly enjoying himself. This just doesn't add up whatsoever but I wish the kid a great professional career.

Reaction Score
All I have to say is don't let the door hit you on your way out. I typically don't begrudge players for leaving early and doing what's best for them, particularly if their stock is peaking, but this just feels like abandoning the team. After watching him in frustration for two years, thinking he may actually fill his potential next year, he bolts. Sorry, but when I look back on the former players, he just isn't going to feel to me like a special part of the Husky family.

Reaction Score
All I have to say is don't let the door hit you on your way out. I typically don't begrudge players for leaving early and doing what's best for them, particularly if their stock is peaking, but this just feels like abandoning the team. After watching him in frustration for two years, thinking he may actually fill his potential next year, he bolts. Sorry, but when I look back on the former players, he just isn't going to feel to me like a special part of the Husky family.

[Insert George Takei gif]

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that if he really didn't want to stay here any longer, it was the right move both for him and for us. I don't think he sealed his fate, but I think he has gone a long way towards lowering his ceiling. It has been established that his decision was against KO's advice, which I don't take to have been selfish--i.e., I believe that KO honestly thought it was best for Hamilton's pro prospects if he stayed another year. Personally, I'm deferring to KO as having better insight on that.
I was surprised to hear that he decided to go all I for the NBA draft, especially after seeing players like Buddy Hield improving his stock by returning for his senior year. I think DHam has a lot of upside, and had a great opportunity to improve his game by being surrounded by more offensive weapons this coming season. Having to force his offense so often due to having a few players on the team that could create their own shot contributed to his poor shooting percentage. I think it's a big mistake for him leaving early, but hopefully he'll get drafted somewhere and have an opportunity to develop his game and prove himself while earning a big paycheck. Seems like a good kid, so I wish him well.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
has Ollie commented yet? I haven't seen (or found) anything

it's plausible he's trying to reach out to the kid to convince him to reconsider, for his own good

he has the potential to move up the charts big time, it happens

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Everyone assumes that DHam will improve if the stays another year.
NBA drafts on player potential.
If DHam stays and does not improve significantly, does he then also forfeit his value of potential?
If he has a bad year, then he is forced to stay for his senior year and he really has to live up to his potential.
If someone decides his potential is untapped, he could get drafted and get a nice payday.
Then he can work on his game in order to stick.
DHam may be making the right decision.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If DHam stays and does not improve significantly, does he then also forfeit his value of potential?
If he has a bad year, then he is forced to stay for his senior year and he really has to live up to his potential.
If someone decides his potential is untapped, he could get drafted and get a nice payday.

The "getting drafted on potential" ship has sailed on DHam, if it was ever in port in the first place. Centers and maybe the top 3-4 athletes in a class get drafted on potential, everyone else has to be able to play from day one. Players like Hamilton that are kind of tall and kind of quick for their size and maybe have some shooting ability are dime a dozen in the NBA.

I wish DHam luck, and recommend he learn to speak Turkish or Russian or Chinese. He is going to need it.

Reaction Score
has Ollie commented yet? I haven't seen (or found) anything

it's plausible he's trying to reach out to the kid to convince him to reconsider, for his own good

he has the potential to move up the charts big time, it happens

No, give up hope.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was surprised to hear that he decided to go all I for the NBA draft, especially after seeing players like Buddy Hield improving his stock by returning for his senior year. I think DHam has a lot of upside, and had a great opportunity to improve his game by being surrounded by more offensive weapons this coming season. Having to force his offense so often due to having a few players on the team that could create their own shot contributed to his poor shooting percentage. I think it's a big mistake for him leaving early, but hopefully he'll get drafted somewhere and have an opportunity to develop his game and prove himself while earning a big paycheck. Seems like a good kid, so I wish him well.

I am wondering if DHam knows that the NBA is not in his future, and just wants to get on with his life. If he is going to play overseas anyway, another year at UConn is not going to make a difference. Might as well get started now

Reaction Score
The "getting drafted on potential" ship has sailed on DHam, if it was ever in port in the first place. Centers and maybe the top 3-4 athletes in a class get drafted on potential, everyone else has to be able to play from day one. Players like Hamilton that are kind of tall and kind of quick for their size and maybe have some shooting ability are dime a dozen in the NBA.

I wish DHam luck, and recommend he learn to speak Turkish or Russian or Chinese. He is going to need it.
It's like you go out of your way to have no clue at all times.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
UOTE="nelsonmuntz, post: 1657777, member: 833"]The "getting drafted on potential" ship has sailed on DHam, if it was ever in port in the first place. Centers and maybe the top 3-4 athletes in a class get drafted on potential, everyone else has to be able to play from day one. Players like Hamilton that are kind of tall and kind of quick for their size and maybe have some shooting ability are dime a dozen in the NBA.

I wish DHam luck, and recommend he learn to speak Turkish or Russian or Chinese. He is going to need it.[/QUOTE]

I think he's worth taking a flyer on late in the 2nd rd. Guys taken that late don't usually do much anyway so why not DHam?

But. DHam was Ollie's first big recruit and helped with getting the program righted. So, good luck.

Reaction Score

I think at most he's risking a year of pro earning potential (which could be in an oversea or D-League setting) but I think by doing this, he's throwing away the chance at a much higher payout next year. IMO, he doesn't have the physical tools that would make teams overlook a lot of his flaws and draft him high this year so I think that negates a lot of what you're talking about. We shall see though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think at most he's risking a year of pro earning potential (which could be in an oversea or D-League setting) but I think by doing this, he's throwing away the chance at a much higher payout next year. IMO, he doesn't have the physical tools that would make teams overlook a lot of his flaws and draft him high this year so I think that negates a lot of what you're talking about. We shall see though.

There's next to no earning potential in the Dleague though. You make about the same as a shift supervisor at Starbucks.

Reaction Score

You don't need to apologize because no one cares what you think.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
It's been awfully quiet since the Dinos Trigonis comment on Twitter. Is DHam wavering? No buzz with Vital, Simon, Jackson others. Hope Ollie has a plan brewing which includes Rodney.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You don't need to apologize because no one cares what you think.
Now if jack feels the same way you just wasted a nano second with your offhanded insult. But if it makes you feel better I liked it. Not that you or anyone else should care what I think, I think.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's been awfully quiet since the Dinos Trigonis comment on Twitter. Is DHam wavering? No buzz with Vital, Simon, Jackson others. Hope Ollie has a plan brewing with involves Rodney.
Someone clarified that comment was referencing they were still in the agent selection process and not wavering. Hopefully they were wrong but evidence prior to that tweet supports their claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom