Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
“I got to tell you watching the conference tournament and NCAA games, I loved the way he played compared to the beginning and the middle of the year,” a scout from an Eastern Conference team said.

“I think someone will take him in the first round,” another Eastern Conference scout said.

That's on the record. Both of those quotes continue off the record with, "...but not by us."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm sure academics contributed to the decision (and I realize we're all just speculating), but that's just one aspect to the college experience. For a kid like Hamilton, he was 3,000 miles from home living in a diametrically different culture than the one he had grown up in. I think it's telling that, at the current juncture, he's in LA and not Storrs. Seems to me that irrespective of academics, he's more comfortable there.

Of course I could be completely wrong. Maybe he loved living in Storrs...I just don't get that sense.

And it's important that we don't conflate an apparent lifestyle choice with a lack of dedication to the program or University. This doesn't mean he was never all in or that he was biding his time here...you can be genuinely attached to your teammates, coaches, and the cause of winning while also acting in accordance with your personal comfort. (see post 250 for what I mean here)
My guess is that he would be more comfortable in Storrs, than, say, Nizhny Novgorod, for example.

Reaction Score
Though I can't really see it, I did notice Ainge in the stands at a bunch of our games this year and couldn't help thinking he liked Hamilton. Now I don't expect the Celtics to take him, but I was thinking the Nets might be praying that somehow they can get him. I believe they have zero draft picks, but maybe they have a second rounder. They have almost no one aside from Lopez on the roster, they let Joe Johnson go, their point guards suck... If Hamilton does really great in training and the summer, I could see him somehow getting a shot

I just doubt he will make it count. I don't see his game that he's shown us translating well into the NBA. He isn't a great shooter, he isn't that great a point guard, and he wont be able to rebound at the next level the way he did at this one. Its a puzzling decision to me, specifically because all the ingredients are in Storrs for him to have a successful season next year. Particularly Brimah still being there for easy assists, I think without Brimah Hamilton would never be mentioned for his assisting skills

Good luck to the kid but I question the choice and don't think it will turn out that successfully for him on draft night

Is he a 2 or a 3 in the NBA? Nets just signed Kilpatrick to a 3-year deal in SG position. They are terrible and can absolutely need depth, but Nets may not be the best fit.

Reaction Score
He really wasn't effecient hitting shots anywhere from the floor, the rim, the lane, 3 point line, it didn't really matter. If KO didn't want him on the perimeter then he wouldn't have ran so much action for him out there, there's a pretty big disconnect b/w your perception of DHam the player and what was reality the past 2 years.
I got called a bunch of names for saying this. Some Husky fans have a hard tme admitting that Hamilton was a highly inefficient scorer in his time at UConn. Him being a great rebounder and good passer doesn't take away from his inability to make shots from everywhere on the floor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would haved liked to have seen Hamilton on the perimeter more often...on defense. Especially when his guy was open for a 3.

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Okay let's maybe keep it to remotely supportable points and not total speculation. There are understandably many emotions and reactions to this news but let's draw the line somewhere.

Arent we all simply speculating on why he's leaving? Money, comfort, friends, etc .... I was just throwing my two cents in to the mix and its worth the same as your two cents oh official line in the sand drawer guy.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Okay let's maybe keep it to remotely supportable points and not total speculation. There are understandably many emotions and reactions to this news but let's draw the line somewhere.

Arent we all simply speculating on why he's leaving? Money, comfort, friends, etc .... I was just throwing my two cents in to the mix and its worth the same as your two cents oh official line in the sand drawer guy.

Reaction Score
Well - good for him. I wish him the best. For some reason I'm not that upset by it. For the men, I think it might be better. When you have a kid that wants to move on it's best to let him go.

C

Chief00

Anyone who thinks lack of strength won't be a negative issue is kidding themselves. It impacts his ability to absorb impact and finish shots

Reaction Score
Arent we all simply speculating on why he's leaving?

He said he is doing it because he talked to his family and it's an opportunity to help them. What point is there in proposing that there were major chemistry problems outside of what is publicly stated?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Good luck to DHam. While the timing doesn't seem great, we don't know either his family or personal situation. I'm hoping that everything works out for him in his professional career.
Great post. We could speculate forever but we just don't know the situation or where he is at. Good luck DHam. It will be hard to forget your many talents. Hope you keep growing in all things and all works out for the best in your life and future.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
@ Leebo - because its the PC thing to say, just like every other guy has said for the past decade when they leave early. The check's in the mail. Look, I wish the kid the best, I rooted for him while he was here and I sincerely hope that whatever he's looking for pans out in his favor. But, while I'm still allowed to voice my opinion, I feel like there might have been a chemistry issue along the line somewhere. Whether that's fact, fiction, or somewhere in between, neither of us are going to ever know.

So whats the point ... there is no point. No point to any of this when you cram it inside a vacuum. Dhams taking his talents to south beach, or philly, or sacramento, or the d league, or somewhere in some country with a name I cant pronounce. He wont be back in storrs and that's all we know for certain.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's technically true that it's not final yet, but there's really no reason to suggest that it won't be done.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I mean, Amore has quotes from Hamilton's mouth that he's signing. Tough to refute that. Probably just hasn't actually picked one and signed the papers yet.

He's probably locked in in his head in going, but to me it the smart thing to do would be to at least go through the combine first and then sign. No point cutting off an option early for no reason. But he does seem set on it no matter what. Oh well.

Reaction Score
He said he is doing it because he talked to his family and it's an opportunity to help them. What point is there in proposing that there were major chemistry problems outside of what is publicly stated?
Does not have any friends. Never has any fun.
HmEg7nc.gif

8m1qwuC.gif

Reaction Score
Those of you killing him for this decision are just butt hurt he won't be playing for us next year. If you disagree with the decision then fine, leave it at that and move on.

Also, believe it or not a player's development doesn't stop when they leave college. A guy can improve just as much in a top Euro league as he can at UConn, if not more. If Hamilton doesn't get drafted that's where he'll end up.

Basketball careers are short, even for the really good players. He's going to start making good money a year early. If an extra year at UConn would have turned him into a first rounder, and if he really does have the talent and determination to get better, he'll end up in the league regardless. If not he'll make a good living overseas.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Those of you killing him for this decision are just butt hurt he won't be playing for us next year. If you disagree with the decision then fine, leave it at that and move on.

Also, believe it or not a player's development doesn't stop when they leave college. A guy can improve just as much in a top Euro league as he can at UConn, if not more. If Hamilton doesn't get drafted that's where he'll end up.

Basketball careers are short, even for the really good players. He's going to start making good money a year early. If an extra year at UConn would have turned him into a first rounder, and if he really does have the talent and determination to get better, he'll end up in the league regardless. If not he'll make a good living overseas.
By that logic every 5 star should go play overseas for a year, they all think they're ready for the NBA out of high school, why go to college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom