Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where was the thing about the online classes again? When I first read it, my interpretation was that he was doing extra work to "shore up" his status. Not that he only took two classes this semester.

Reaction Score
Though I can't really see it, I did notice Ainge in the stands at a bunch of our games this year and couldn't help thinking he liked Hamilton. Now I don't expect the Celtics to take him, but I was thinking the Nets might be praying that somehow they can get him. I believe they have zero draft picks, but maybe they have a second rounder. They have almost no one aside from Lopez on the roster, they let Joe Johnson go, their point guards suck... If Hamilton does really great in training and the summer, I could see him somehow getting a shot

I just doubt he will make it count. I don't see his game that he's shown us translating well into the NBA. He isn't a great shooter, he isn't that great a point guard, and he wont be able to rebound at the next level the way he did at this one. Its a puzzling decision to me, specifically because all the ingredients are in Storrs for him to have a successful season next year. Particularly Brimah still being there for easy assists, I think without Brimah Hamilton would never be mentioned for his assisting skills

Good luck to the kid but I question the choice and don't think it will turn out that successfully for him on draft night

Reaction Score
2 courses? Where was the coach staff? He may have benefited from a 'decision theory' class. The APR crapola to follow will put Trump on the rear pages. Fasten the seat belts.
People can take summer courses and build up credits so they don't have to take as many classes other semesters. It's pretty much the Kentucky model. There has also already been info out there that he will be taking classes online while in California.

Reaction Score
Im upset about it and i think hes making a grave mistake but talking with my old man earlier in the season he felt like dham was an outsider on the team with no true friends. Having no homeys 3000 miles away from where you grew up may have had an influence on this decision. I wish him luck but damn, im sour on this.
Okay let's maybe keep it to remotely supportable points and not total speculation. There are understandably many emotions and reactions to this news but let's draw the line somewhere.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My friend and I have speculated some European team could've given him a nice offer. If you could go to Spain, Italy, France, and make pretty good money doing so, it would make sense if you don't have a future in the NBA. Part of me wonders if Jordan got him a spot on whatever team he's playing on. Good luck to him, hopefully he makes it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
what's his upside by for leaving this year? Looks like one season of 6 figure money abroad

what's his upside if he stays? potentially a multi-year 7 figure salary

I'm sorry, from where I'm sitting he's settling for a bad long range shot. He's picking the low hanging fruit, he's making a mistake. And yes, for all the Sherlocks out there, I know it's his mistake to make

Life's not easy, making your dreams come true is about sacrifice and work, he's listening to the wrong people

and I hope he proves me wrong

Reaction Score
My friend and I have speculated some European team could've given him a nice offer. If you could go to Spain, Italy, France, and make pretty good money doing so, it would make sense if you don't have a future in the NBA. Part of me wonders if Jordan got him a spot on whatever team he's playing on. Good luck to him, hopefully he makes it.
I think it's much more likely that he's learned that there's a team or two willing to take a chance on him in the second round. Pace & space offenses are becoming more and more prominent in the NBA, and Hamilton is a good passer. If someone thinks they can help him develop his shot, you could justify taking him in the second round.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think it's much more likely that he's learned that there's a team or two willing to take a chance on him in the second round. Pace & space offenses are becoming more and more prominent in the NBA, and Hamilton is a good passer. If someone thinks they can help him develop his shot, you could justify taking him in the second round.
Perhaps, I just don't buy he's in the realm of being an NBA player next year. Maybe he goes to Europe, gets better, sees some of the world, makes decent money, and proves his worth to an NBA team in a couple years? Who knows.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good luck to Daniel, and thank you for what you've done for UConn.

I'm surprised, but only a little. I think that Hamilton feels his NBA position is as a SG, and that Ollie needs him to play more around the rim. The conflict in what the team needed, and what DHam needed to showcase, was evident all year long.

He can learn to shoot. It's not a problem. The league is full of guys who shoot much better than they did in college. Magic Johnson has a miserable jumpshot in college. He can work on his handle, and first step, and practice playing the position he thinks he needs to play as a pro. He could stay here, but he'd play even less on the perimeter than he did last year. I don't think he thought that would help him. This is speculation on my part, but it makes sense to me through this lens.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
what's his upside by for leaving this year? Looks like one season of 6 figure money abroad

what's his upside if he stays? potentially a multi-year 7 figure salary

I'm sorry, from where I'm sitting he's settling for a bad long range shot. He's picking the low hanging fruit, he's making a mistake. And yes, for all the Sherlocks out there, I know it's his mistake to make

Life's not easy, making your dreams come true is about sacrifice and work, he's listening to the wrong people

and I hope he proves me wrong

You don't think he's good enough to play more than 1 seasons over seas?

Also you're ripping a kid who wants to be a professional basketball player, by being a professional basketball player.

Take it easy on his work ethic, which quite frankly, me or you know nothing about.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Daniel, and thank you for what you've done for UConn.

I'm surprised, but only a little. I think that Hamilton feels his NBA position is as a SG, and that Ollie needs him to play more around the rim. The conflict in what the team needed, and what DHam needed to showcase, was evident all year long.

He can learn to shoot. It's not a problem. The league is full of guys who shoot much better than they did in college. Magic Johnson has a miserable jumpshot in college. He can work on his handle, and first step, and practice playing the position he thinks he needs to play as a pro. He could stay here, but he'd play even less on the perimeter than he did last year. I don't think he thought that would help him. This is speculation on my part, but it makes sense to me through this lens.

DHam plays on the perimeter on offense, not sure what games you are watching where KO has his him stuck under the basket. DHam needed to showcase the ability to hit a jumpshot and make shots, which is what the offense needed and he often couldn't deliver.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
DHam plays on the perimeter on offense, not sure what games you are watching where KO has his him stuck under the basket. DHam needed to showcase the ability to hit a jumpshot and make shots, which is what the offense needed and he often couldn't deliver.

I don't think Ollie wants or wanted him spending all that time on the perimeter. He's clearly more effective, in college at least, closer to the basket. He rarely took outside shots as a freshman. UConn did not need him taking 3's, we needed him getting to the basket, and distributing or hitting floaters from the lane.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
You don't think he's good enough to play more than 1 seasons over seas?

Also you're ripping a kid who wants to be a professional basketball player, by being a professional basketball player.

Take it easy on his work ethic, which quite frankly, me or you know nothing about.

actually, I'm saying he LOSES one year playing abroad, Europe will be there next year

I didn't comment about his work ethic either, I commented on what it takes to succeed in life, and it's not about picking low hanging fruit

I think he's making a mistake, good and smart people can and do disagree

Reaction Score
I don't think Ollie wants or wanted him spending all that time on the perimeter. He's clearly more effective, in college at least, closer to the basket. He rarely took outside shots as a freshman. UConn did not need him taking 3's, we needed him getting to the basket, and distributing or hitting floaters from the lane.

He really wasn't effecient hitting shots anywhere from the floor, the rim, the lane, 3 point line, it didn't really matter. If KO didn't want him on the perimeter then he wouldn't have ran so much action for him out there, there's a pretty big disconnect b/w your perception of DHam the player and what was reality the past 2 years.

Reaction Score
In the end, I never got the impression he was happy in Storrs. I remember when he first arrived two summers ago, he was smiling from ear to ear. I haven't seen that in quite some time. In the end, regardless of what GMs or boneyarders may think, DHam did what was best for him. He doesn't owe any of us or the school anything.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I think it's likely that someone takes a shot even if it means sticking him in the D-league to develop. He's got an ability to create for others that has become much more valuable at the wing spot and I think some team will have him work on his shot and defense and hope that he can become a good role player.

Reaction Score
I think it's much more likely that he's learned that there's a team or two willing to take a chance on him in the second round.
That may be the case, but that just cements this as a bad decision. Why you want to go play in the D league rather than work to get yourself a guaranteed first round deal is a complete mystery.

Reaction Score

He took outside shots at a slightly higher rate as a freshman than as a sophomore. 7.9% of possessions to 7.5%. You're on an island here. Hamilton was a perimeter player at UConn.

Reaction Score
Debating the basketball aspect of his decision is fine, but all the amateur psycho analysis and conspiracy theories are tiresome and petty.
Debating the basketball aspect is equally silly. Its his choice not yours. I highly doubt he cares what any of us actually think. But since this is a message board and we are a loyal fanbase, any topic, any analysis is fair game. If you find it tiresome or petty, don't respond. The fact remains that your "basketball analysis" is no different than someone else's psycho analysis.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Maybe the worst early entry decision by a Husky. I really can't think of a worse one. Daniels? KEA? I don't think either had the potential draft upside that DHam is throwing away.

Best of luck, and I hope he makes it. I wish he wasn't making it harder for himself but oh well.
Ater Majok comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Ater Majok comes to mind.

It hurts because coming back would of really helped his stock, I refuse to believe he was anywhere near his ceiling. Also it really hurts us selfishly as fans, who were feeling pretty darn optimistic about next season.

Oh well this is how college basketball is now and time for a NEXT.

Reaction Score
This all goes back to first night. If we didn't scrimmage the girls he'd stay another year.
That's ridiculous. The real reason is that he knew he had to get stronger (you know, power strength) and that wasn't going to happen in this wussy gymnastics S&C program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom