Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By that logic every 5 star should go play overseas for a year, they all think they're ready for the NBA out of high school, why go to college?
College is fun and going overseas to some foreign place where you don't know the language sometimes isn't.

Reaction Score
By that logic every 5 star should go play overseas for a year, they all think they're ready for the NBA out of high school, why go to college?

Some guys like college. Doesn't seem like Hamilton cared for it.

Reaction Score
Gonna miss him for sure. But I have confidence in Larrier. Sure, he isn't the rebounder Hamilton is but he will make up for it in other ways. I think Larrier, Adams, and Gilbert are ready to lead this team.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Those of you killing him for this decision are just butt hurt he won't be playing for us next year. If you disagree with the decision then fine, leave it at that and move on.

Also, believe it or not a player's development doesn't stop when they leave college. A guy can improve just as much in a top Euro league as he can at UConn, if not more. If Hamilton doesn't get drafted that's where he'll end up.

Basketball careers are short, even for the really good players. He's going to start making good money a year early. If an extra year at UConn would have turned him into a first rounder, and if he really does have the talent and determination to get better, he'll end up in the league regardless. If not he'll make a good living overseas.
By this logic, all of the Husky women should have left school after a year or two to play professionally as well. "They can make more money now then they have now." Of course they can, but that is being short-sighted since they will earn more money in their lifetime with a degree or in DHam's case the difference between staying and becoming a first round pick next year instead of bouncing from country to country overseas and earning a ton less money. I don't think the posters here are criticizing DHam because he's leaving and the impact on the team. We really don't think he's ready and believe he's making a bad decision. Who has seen him play more, NBA/overseas scouts or us? I think by the overwhelming response here that he's not ready, I think there's something to this opinion.

Reaction Score
To me, I just don't understand why you take advantage of the new rule and defer this decision (which may be what he's going to do) even if your mind is pretty made up. Underclassmen have a chance to get those pro opinions without much downside and barring an obvious situation like Ben Simmons, I don't see why they wouldn't want to take advantage of that.

Reaction Score
By this logic, all of the Husky women should have left school after a year or two to play professionally as well. "They can make more money now then they have now." Of course they can, but that is being short-sighted since they will earn more money in their lifetime with a degree or in DHam's case the difference between staying and becoming a first round pick next year instead of bouncing from country to country overseas and earning a ton less money. I don't think the posters here are criticizing DHam because he's leaving and the impact on the team. We really don't think he's ready and believe he's making a bad decision. Who has seen him play more, NBA/overseas scouts or us? I think by the overwhelming response here that he's not ready, I think there's something to this opinion.

Serious, guy? You just compared men's hoops to women's basketball.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
He's qouted as saying "Not many people have accomplished what I've accomplished at UConn". I hope he's comparing himself to the general public. If he is comparing himself to other former UConn players he's off his rocker. We could start a thread "Former UConn players better than Daniel Hamilton".

Reaction Score
He's qouted as saying "Not many people have accomplished what I've accomplished at UConn". I hope he's comparing himself to the general public. If he is comparing himself to other former UConn players he's off his rocker. We could start a thread "Former UConn players better than Daniel Hamilton".
If that is what he said, statistically speaking, it's hard to argue with him. Would be hard to find another UConn player with 800+ points, 580+ rebounds and 290+ assists in their first two seasons.

Reaction Score
Those of you killing him for this decision are just butt hurt he won't be playing for us next year. If you disagree with the decision then fine, leave it at that and move on.

Also, believe it or not a player's development doesn't stop when they leave college. A guy can improve just as much in a top Euro league as he can at UConn, if not more. If Hamilton doesn't get drafted that's where he'll end up.

Basketball careers are short, even for the really good players. He's going to start making good money a year early. If an extra year at UConn would have turned him into a first rounder, and if he really does have the talent and determination to get better, he'll end up in the league regardless. If not he'll make a good living overseas.
Name 5 guys who left college early, went the euro route, developed overseas, and came back to have a successful nba career?

Reaction Score
I'd say Daniel Hamilton shouldn't believe his own "hype", but I don't even think there's hype around him. This is not a smart move, ala DeAndre Daniels. I wish him well, but hope he reconsiders and gets more seasoning, for his own sake. It's no one's dream to declare early and go in the late 2nd round or undrafted.

Reaction Score
Someone somewhere made him a promise.
lol no one in the NBA is promising DHam anything.

Maybe the basketball team in Beijing offered him a tryout

Reaction Score
Maybe this is controversial, I don't know. But, why would you expect a player to improve more in college than in the D League/Europe? Instead of having limits on how much they can practice/workout, they eat and sleep basketball. IMO, staying an extra year in college is mainly important for guys who need to develop confidence. There are plenty of guys who spend time in Europe/D League and carve out NBA careers. Its just a google away.

Reaction Score
If that is what he said, statistically speaking, it's hard to argue with him. Would be hard to find another UConn player with 800+ points, 580+ rebounds and 290+ assists in their first two seasons.
While that's true, he is also owns one of the worst true shooting %s in uconn history for a first/second option. It's a little ridiculous for him to say that imo, but not gonna go crazy over it.

Reaction Score
lol no one in the NBA is promising DHam anything.

This thing where message board couch potatoes pretend to be privy to things that they absolutely are not privy to will never stop being funny. Someone else in this thread actually made the argument that the Boneyard knows more about Hamilton than professional scouts.

Reaction Score
Maybe this is controversial, I don't know. But, why would you expect a player to improve more in college than in the D League/Europe? Instead of having limits on how much they can practice/workout, they eat and sleep basketball. IMO, staying an extra year in college is mainly important for guys who need to develop confidence. There are plenty of guys who spend time in Europe/D League and carve out NBA careers. Its just a google away.

Agreed. I don't know why people are acting like Hamilton's sealed his fate with this move. It seems, at least anecdotally, that the NBA has plenty of guys who bounced around for a while before settling into the NBA. Especially nowadays, given how much the world's shrunk.

Reaction Score
And now, the man behind the questionable decision, starring young Danny Hamilton himself!

Reaction Score
While that's true, he is also owns one of the worst true shooting %s in uconn history for a first/second option. It's a little ridiculous for him to say that imo, but not gonna go crazy over it.
I would agree, he's probably the worst shooter (balance-wise for sure) we've ever had as a primary scorer. But hopefully his best bball is ahead of him. Either way, make us proud DHam.

Reaction Score
Still fits his narrative of being only UConn player to "accomplish" certain things lol

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'd say Daniel Hamilton shouldn't believe his own "hype", but I don't even think there's hype around him. This is not a smart move, ala DeAndre Daniels. I wish him well, but hope he reconsiders and gets more seasoning, for his own sake. It's no one's dream to declare early and go in the late 2nd round or undrafted.
The difference is that Daniels was a huge cog on a National Championship team, who's stock had nowhere to go but down. Kids drop out of college for lesser reasons, but if it is Hamilton's dream to play in the NBA, he is certainly following an interesting strategy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agreed. I don't know why people are acting like Hamilton's sealed his fate with this move. It seems, at least anecdotally, that the NBA has plenty of guys who bounced around for a while before settling into the NBA. Especially nowadays, given how much the world's shrunk.
The bottom line is that if he really didn't want to stay here any longer, it was the right move both for him and for us. I don't think he sealed his fate, but I think he has gone a long way towards lowering his ceiling. It has been established that his decision was against KO's advice, which I don't take to have been selfish--i.e., I believe that KO honestly thought it was best for Hamilton's pro prospects if he stayed another year. Personally, I'm deferring to KO as having better insight on that.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Serious, guy? You just compared men's hoops to women's basketball.
And who knew that Mike Francesa was a Boneyarder....Welcome, Big Guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom