Hamilton & Brimah Staying | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hamilton & Brimah Staying

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Lobs only happen if 1) our perimeter shooting is good enough to stop opposing defenders from helping down, and 2) the threat of the drive actually being finished is real enough to force Brimah's guy to come help.

DHam, Adams & Rodney have to make a few of those 8-footers, or Amida's not catching s*** on the baseline.
hamilton to brimah all season this past year... also i see purvis to adams and vice versa either on breaks or beating the zone... i think this team is going to be exciting... im hoping they get out and run and run

Reaction Score
hamilton to brimah all season this past year...
Only if the season you saw stopped on February 25, because over the last 8 games, DHam assisted on 3 Amida dunks. Two were against South Florida.

From March 1 onward teams defended the lob much, much better than they had in the first 4 months of the season. Partially this is because 7 of those final 8 games were against pretty good teams, but... well, that's the point, isn't it? The AAC is going to have a bunch of pretty good to very good teams next year, and there's plenty of tape for everybody to watch on DHam to Amida.

To put it another way: In our last 7 games against "tournament caliber" teams, Amida caught only one lob from DHam (Phil caught 3, by the way - teams were much more willing to help off of him than they were off of Amida).

Regardless, that play is not a weapon unless Hamilton starts scoring more in the lane himself. If he does that, he will draw help and then find the right pass more often than not.

I suspect he knows as much. Smart kid.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Only if the season you saw stopped on February 25, because over the last 8 games, DHam assisted on 3 Amida dunks. Two were against South Florida.

From March 1 onward teams defended the lob much, much better than they had in the first 4 months of the season. Partially this is because 7 of those final 8 games were against pretty good teams, but... well, that's the point, isn't it? The AAC is going to have a bunch of pretty good to very good teams next year, and there's plenty of tape for everybody to watch on DHam to Amida.

To put it another way: In our last 7 games against "tournament caliber" teams, Amida caught only one lob from DHam (Phil caught 3, by the way - teams were much more willing to help off of him than they were off of Amida).

Regardless, that play is not a weapon unless Hamilton starts scoring more in the lane himself. If he does that, he will draw help and then find the right pass more often than not.

I suspect he knows as much. Smart kid.
i also see it as hamilton was creating more for himself... he was boarding on the defensive end and taking his man one v one on the three point line and into the paint...

Reaction Score
i also see it as hamilton was creating more for himself... he was boarding on the defensive end and taking his man one v one on the three point line and into the paint...
Right. And when he got there, he couldn't hit s***. Dude was 30-for-89 from the floor in March. Against the 7 good teams, make that 24 for 81, which is just abysmal (and I say that as someone who love DHam and thinks he will be a lottery pick some day).

If he hit more of those shots, Amida would have had the chance to catch more lobs, because the defense would have had to come help. He didn't, so they didn't.

Reaction Score
Given that it isn't happening, is there any reason, other than to maintain some degree of mystique, that you wouldn't just tell us what you heard?
This is just me assuming, but it could've been homesickness, wanting to be near his family when tough times do happen. If this is it i know KO showed him that himself and this team are gonna be there for him in every facet of his life.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Right. And when he got there, he couldn't hit s***. Dude was 30-for-89 from the floor in March. Against the 7 good teams, make that 24 for 81, which is just abysmal (and I say that as someone who love DHam and thinks he will be a lottery pick some day).

If he hit more of those shots, Amida would have had the chance to catch more lobs, because the defense would have had to come help. He didn't, so they didn't.
He needs to finish at the rim rather than settling for floaters or close fadeaways. If he doesn't start doing that he could easily fall into the later part of the first round rather than being a lottery pick.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

rather that be his "sophomore slump" than next season

Reaction Score
He needs to finish at the rim rather than settling for floaters or close fadeaways. If he doesn't start doing that he could easily fall into the later part of the first round rather than being a lottery pick.
Yes, especially now that he's better at the line (75% from Jan 10 onward). He shied away from contact in the first 2.5 months b/c he was awful at the stripe, down around 50% or so.

I also suspect that he still has some growing to do re: quick twitch muscle. He's just a kid, and will likely get more explosive athletically over the next 24 months.

rather that be his "sophomore slump" than next season
Amen.

I'm actually encouraged by the last month of the season b/c it spelled out all our flaws, and you could see KO trying to make the right adjustments that the kids just didn't quite pull off. They should be much better as a team next season, despite losing their best player.

And yes, I already hate the mother****er who is going to start the "Boat was overrated!" thread based strictly on a comparison of year-to-year records, outright ignoring the natural improvement curve of the entire roster. You just know some ignorant clue***k is going to start that s*** after our first big win of the year.

Reaction Score
And yes, I already hate the mother****er who is going to start the "Boat was overrated!" thread based strictly on a comparison of year-to-year records, outright ignoring the natural improvement curve of the entire roster. You just know some ignorant clue***k is going to start that s*** after our first big win of the year.

I'd rather we encounter the "Boat was overrated!" thread than the "How the hell did Boat carry this team to 20 wins?" thread.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Why does Brimah have a legal guardian? He's not a minor.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is just me assuming, but it could've been homesickness, wanting to be near his family when tough times do happen. If this is it i know KO showed him that himself and this team are gonna be there for him in every facet of his life.

Take what DHam's mom said to Borges, what Zionn was concerned about and It has me optimistic next season that we will see a more productive DHam. And that, as you suggest, will open things up for passing to the interior.

Reaction Score
If it was homesickness, can you really blame him? A 19 year old kid moving across the country without his family for the first time in his life. I think it's pretty normal for someone to be homesick in the situation DHam is in.

Reaction Score
Take what DHam's mom said to Borges, what Zionn was concerned about and It has me optimistic next season that we will see a more productive DHam. And that, as you suggest, will open things up for passing to the interior.
:)...or maybe Zionn was concerned about what DHAM's mom might say to Borges???? ;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
:)...or maybe Zionn was concerned about what DHAM's mom might say to Borges???? ;)
I'm sure he was given how surprised and happy he was to be wrong.

Reaction Score
I recall the story being that Brimah was discovered and simply left Africa with his family's blessing to make a better life. That was said to be common to his group to be adult and independent younger than our culture expects. As a minor on arrival here he would have needed a guardian to enroll in school in the USA.

Reaction Score
Glad we get to enjoy Hamilton for 1 more year. In the off season with hard work he will get physically stronger. As long as he lives in the gym working on his handle and outside shot he should break into the 1st round. Barring any chemistry problems on next years team it should be a breakout year for DH. He knows what he needs to do to get to the next level. Enjoy him while he is here...

Reaction Score
If Hamilton stays for his junior year, we could have one of the best teams in the country.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Zionn and Fishy both posted what they both heard was likely very close to happening.

Luckily for us, KO convinced him otherwise.

My only gripe is that the post was sensationalized with "boneyard meltdown" by zionn.

I choose to believe both guys were correct at the time due to their track record on these things.

Reaction Score
Zionn and Fishy both posted what they both heard was likely very close to happening.

Luckily for us, KO convinced him otherwise.

My only gripe is that the post was sensationalized with "boneyard meltdown" by zionn.

I choose to believe both guys were correct at the time due to their track record on these things.
I like both posters but weren't they also completely wrong about Omar Calhoun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom