2017 Recruiting: Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by CGarr, May 15, 2016.

1. Hi-Low

Hi-Low Free as a bird

No animosity to Oz but nobody forced the kid to pull away from UConn, that's on Diallo....Cal just being his slimy self....Diallo was obviously never committed at all to UConn....which is fine.

2. jcp33

jcp33

BURN THIS THREAD PLEASE BURN IT

Tuna likes this.
  3. Tenspro2002

Tenspro2002

That's another thing. Whenever anyone brought up UConn, Diallo would kind of brush it off with non-statements and indifference.

The pollyannas thought he was just being coy and toying with the other coaches.

No, it's our coach who got played.

Askgreek likes this.
  4. champs99and04

champs99and04

Well obviously Cal didn't waterboard him until he committed, but you get what I'm saying. Diallo won't be the first nor the last to be snatched up by that guy.

It's not that anybody ever thought he was a 'lock' per say so much as it was a marathon that UConn seemed to lead for 26.1 miles. That's why I caution the people who criticize the recruiting guys for being "wrong." Sometimes in this business you're never more wrong than you are when you are actually right. Minds change. I'm not even trying to defend them (I have no connection to Oz), it's just the way this goes sometimes.

5. husky99

husky99

I heard we had it locked down a couple of times before and after our visit. Kentucky just sold it and cow has that record bringing kids to the NBA. And he wants to go to the NBA soon

6. boog204

boog204

In all honesty, is there 1 basketball reason for him to choose us over Kentucky? The only pull we had was his familiarity/proximity and that his friend was on the team. That's it. As a basketball program, 2017 Kentucky is miles ahead of us. The kid has the potential to be a multi-millionaire/NBA all-star. If I was in his shoes, I would have picked UK too.

k-walk and zls44 like this.
  7. Hungryhusky99

Hungryhusky99

So you don't even think he'll ever play a college game?

8. husky99

husky99

I think it is 50 50.

9. zls44

zls44 Your #icebus Tour Director

that's some cow

Stairmaster and TRest like this.
  10. auror

auror

Almost always when this kind of stuff comes up, I shrug it off and say "Kid has to do what's best for him" or talk about nobody actually "playing for the laundry."

But man, I think it's the combination of the post-grad plus intentionally sitting out a whole semester unforced plus his real genuine connection to the guys on this team that makes it all feel so mercenary. He literally made the choice solely, 100% for money. Every single other factor was in our favor.

And in my opinion (because this can't be proven) the advantage gained from going to UK instead of UConn is not enough to justify breaking those bonds. Just feels bad, man. Especially after what a shitty year for UConn athletics this has been.

pj likes this.
  11. djct1999

djct1999

If we had it locked down he never would have visited Kentucky in the first place. Saying UConn had the lead was a way for some people to save their ass. I admit I am spiteful, but I would never let anyone from PSA ever step foot on UConns campus again. Ever.

12. Hi-Low

Hi-Low Free as a bird

KY was the easy choice for him in his situation.

I don't know if KY is miles ahead of us though, they aren't really a college program right now. KY is basically just a minor league NBA team where very talented prospects hang out for 9 or so months then leave. I compare UConn to KU, AZ, Mich St, etc.....which we lag behind all of now but are just a year or 2 away from being right there with again hopefully....KY is playing a different game.

13. djct1999

djct1999

100/ 0. He is never playing a minute of college ball.

14. upstater

upstater

This is a good point. Meyer surely heard something that weekend at that tournament. Too much smoke to believe all that meant nothing.

15. boog204

boog204

And that minor league scenario is exactly what 98% of the top guys want. They're not picking a school for their academic programs, co-ed quality, or ice cream selection. They want the fastest, easiest, and most recognizable way to get to the NBA. Kentucky provides that and does it at an incredibly efficient level.

In terms of basketball product, they are much, much better than us right now. They have the most rabid fan base in the country, they play an exciting brand of basketball, they have a hall of fame coach who just may be the greatest recruiter of all time; simply put, they are the "it" school. Look at us right now. We are 5-9, we play absolutely hideous basketball where we are excited to break 60, our conference is a joke, our fan base is fickle and at times apathetic, and our prospects for the future are cloudy.

I can't hate on the kid for doing what is best for his future. I think without question, Kentucky was the best choice for what he wants. Sucks to lose him considering how much time we put in and seemingly how close we were at times, but I would have been more surprised had he committed here.

16. rip81

rip81

Many of us are kids at heart. I was this kid at 5:30

David 76 likes this.
  17. UConnfan8

UConnfan8

Oz is a troll, no? You all really have too much time on your hands if you consider someone posting on a Rivals board as the most keyed into the program, lol.

18. husky99

husky99

You get the foolish award

SouthBayHusky likes this.
  19. UConnfan8

UConnfan8

I am Oz.

20. husky99

husky99

Sorry did not see that coming.....

Chief00, Dove and August_West like this.
  21. JimOllie

JimOllie

Vance and Juwan told me a few months back that he said he was going to Kentucky.

22. superjohn

superjohn

He's friends with Ollie, Boo Willingham and others. He's as plugged in as anyone you will get on these message boards. He didn't have this recruitment wrong. Diallo was considered a part of this team for a long time. He's 18, if he was a grown arse man and did this people would be calling him Fredo.

James and King Husky like this.
  23. UConnfan8

UConnfan8

Man I wish JC was still here. I remember when I was his mole.

24. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

Did they confirm that Memphis made it into the B12 as well?

25. August_West

August_West Resident Champion

We did get cuck'd

I said it 30 pages ago last week.

26. August_West

August_West Resident Champion

Hes no chief

Chief00 likes this.
  27. James

James

some interesting quotes in there from the PSA coach. HD clearly didn't confide in him as his recruitment went along.

RMoore1999 likes this.
  28. Kemba'sYogurt

Kemba'sYogurt

No idea why everybody is freaking out lol

Chief00, KSC94 and Huskyforlife like this.
  29. GemParty

GemParty Premier Properties National Referral-All 50 states

Good to know, he's Fiercely loyal.

30. FartMan69

FartMan69 I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Kentucky is such a hype machine it's actually amazing we could compete with them at this point. For that alone you need to give credit to our staff for competing wire to wire with them. It is what it is I guess. They have the talent every single year but luckily Cal isn't a great X and O's coach so there's that.

David 76 likes this.