Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 118 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The news that Hami doesn't plan on playing this season (but he's already left school) is the most telling piece of info for me. He would probably struggle to crack the rotation at Kentucky, especially joining mid-season, but would slot right in here. It wouldn't make much sense for him to come here just to practice when he could be getting much more valuable game reps.

Not expecting good news Saturday, but you never know. Maybe we get lucky here. Either way, let's remember that he's a high school kid and doesn't deserve all the vitriol he's going to receive from our fans if he chooses Kentucky (and has already received from a bunch of people on this forum and twitter).

Agree 100%. On the other hand, I don't think it is a big deal. Kentucky fans said much worse about him whenit looked like he'd be enrolling at UConn.

pj

Reaction Score
You realize how much effort the staff has put into this kid, right? Talk to Oz. Diallo has lead our coaches to believe we were his choice for a very long time. If he picks another school, he will have jerked us around for 2+ years and potentially cost us other recruits.

How can we be his choice and yet never be chosen? It made no sense for him to play a postgrad year at PSA - he should have committed last summer and started UConn classes in the fall. Then he could have signed an LOI in November. Then he could have joined to help the team immediately with the conclusion of the fall semester, and started practicing Dec 21 or so. Then, he could have committed immediately after his visit. Now, the word is he's not going to play at all spring semester. It's clear he's not that enthusiastic about playing college ball.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would like this kid to come to UConn because I despise the Squid.
That being said, I am a bit confused - the kid is a top 10 SG but has been told he needs to improve many aspects of his shooting?
I understand that at 6'5" it makes him an attractive prospect but the NBA is full of 6'5" guards
I have never seen him play but all I hear is that the kid is an athlete who needs to work on his shooting and his handle - what are the two most important aspects of a SGs game?
If he was coming here to play this semester and next year I am good with that because UConn needs the bodies.
If he is coming just to train the 2nd semester and say he will play next year - IF he does that then I'm not as excited because who's to say he won't jump to the 2017 draft
I am sure the kid is an athlete and has potential but is he really worth all this fuss?
I would rather get a lower tiered guy (like Bazz, Giffs etc) who will work hard and stay at least 3 years and watch him grow
UConn has never been a 1 and done factory and I for one don't think that I want to be a fan of a system like that - I like the UConn/Nova approach (I know, old school!)

Reaction Score
How can we be his choice and yet never be chosen? It made no sense for him to play a postgrad year at PSA - he should have committed last summer and started UConn classes in the fall. Then he could have signed an LOI in November. Then he could have joined to help the team immediately with the conclusion of the fall semester, and started practicing Dec 21 or so. Then, he could have committed immediately after his visit. Now, the word is he's not going to play at all spring semester. It's clear he's not that enthusiastic about playing college ball.
This 100%. Saturday's announcement is irrelevant. Hami will not play 1 minute of college ball. That much is clear.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I look at this thread and it confirms my belief that UConn men's basketball fans are the top 1% of the worst sports fans on Earth.

Entitled, mean spirited, self-centered, presumptive, insecure...all on full display in this thread.

I only hope that what people post here amounts to monsters from the id, which seems to be a phenomenon of social media in general. The internet strips away the ego's social constraints which govern face-to-face communication, leaving only the raw illogical emotion driven crap.

These super threads are universally cringe-worthy.

Reaction Score
I only hope that what people post here amounts to monsters from the id, which seems to be a phenomenon of social media in general. The internet strips away the ego's social constraints which govern face-to-face communication, leaving only the raw illogical emotion driven crap.

All I want to say is that if I ever start a metal band, we're going to be called Monsters from the Id

Reaction Score
I have a great local contact plugged into the NYC scene, Doris from Rego Park, and she tell me its done - Diallo to Kentucky.

Sad to say but is over, just formality on Saturday.

As painful as it is, we must move on and hopefully right the ship that is the current season, our player development- particularly big men, our recruiting strategy and tactics as well as the future of the program. The program seems to be at a crossroads, are we still a major blueblood power program or are we fading fast to become just another team ala PC.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I have a great local contact plugged into the NYC scene, Doris from Rego Park, and she tell me its done - Diallo to Kentucky.

Sad to say but is over, just formality on Saturday.

As painful as it is, we must move on and hopefully right the ship that is the current season, our player development- particularly big men, our recruiting strategy and tactics as well as the future of the program. The program seems to be at a crossroads, are we still a major blueblood power program or are we fading fast to become just another team ala PC.
I'm really sorry to be the one to tell you this (really I am)... but I think she died in 2003, bro.

'Doris From Rego Park' Mourned On Late-Night Sports Talk Radio

Reaction Score
Okay so it's totally Wild on the information that i am getting this morning. There are 5 people that I mine information from regularly that I think are pretty reliable.(a few others are guessing at best). Two of them says Kentucky two of them says UConn(one is on the fence) and one says he will end up in the NBA
Maybe it's still up in the air, glad it's over soon....fwiw CrystalBall now has KY up to 86%....do these guys just follow each other like sheep?

For the #10 recruit in his class Diallo has certainly gotten tons of attention on his announcement so kudos to him on that front at least.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
My guess is Diallo never plays in a college game.

I can see him only practicing this semester, then trying out the 2017 NBA draft and not returning. That was probably his plan.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Couple things.
First: We don't know for sure that he won't play this year yet. Has HE said he wont play this yr? Lets not rule this out completely.
Second: Can we PLEASE ignore the crystal balls? These guys know NOTHING. They know as much as we do.
Third: The notion that anyone on this board is a better shooter than him is ridiculous. And for the person who said they could win at HORSE..he'd just do windmill dunks 5 times in a row and you'd lose. Sorry bud.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
For the #10 recruit in his class Diallo has certainly gotten tons of attention on his announcement so kudos to him on that front at least.

Which is why posts like this:
God, this forum is full of losers. This kid is about to make the biggest decision of his life and grown men are acting like 12 year olds because it looks like he's not going to choose to put on the laundry we prefer to root for. Sad!

Slay me. As if these "kids" don't know exactly what they are doing.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think the comments about him not playing at all this season are mostly a byproduct of the fact that he's going to Kentucky, or at least the reason he's going to Kentucky. If he wanted to play this season and have a shot at getting in game experience to showcase his talents and test the draft, he wouldn't even consider Kentucky because how many minutes could he reasonably expect?

Reaction Score
For a kid that I can probably beat in HORSE he surely is full of himself with this "announcement".

You better be first and please don't miss. While he has shooting woes, unless you're Stanley Robinson I'm not liking your chances after your miss.

Other than that I agree wholeheartedly.

Reaction Score
I would like this kid to come to UConn because I despise the Squid.
That being said, I am a bit confused - the kid is a top 10 SG but has been told he needs to improve many aspects of his shooting?
I understand that at 6'5" it makes him an attractive prospect but the NBA is full of 6'5" guards
I have never seen him play but all I hear is that the kid is an athlete who needs to work on his shooting and his handle - what are the two most important aspects of a SGs game?
If he was coming here to play this semester and next year I am good with that because UConn needs the bodies.
If he is coming just to train the 2nd semester and say he will play next year - IF he does that then I'm not as excited because who's to say he won't jump to the 2017 draft
I am sure the kid is an athlete and has potential but is he really worth all this fuss?
I would rather get a lower tiered guy (like Bazz, Giffs etc) who will work hard and stay at least 3 years and watch him grow
UConn has never been a 1 and done factory and I for one don't think that I want to be a fan of a system like that - I like the UConn/Nova approach (I know, old school!)

Honestly the "Hamidou needs to improve his shooting" talk is a little off to me. It feels like it's been overstated - yes, he's not a great "shooter" but its not like his shot is broken - it's not like he shoots like T Sam or something. As far as I can tell, he would be an average (maybe slightly below) shooter, but would more than make up for that with incredible athleticism and and length.

Reaction Score
I know someone (my brother) who travels with the AAU team The Rens and he just told me that it's Kentucky. He told me Diallos people told him at the UConn-Auburn game that he wanted Kentucky. He hates UConn so I didn't really listen to him but seems to right about this.

Reaction Score
Couple things.
First: We don't know for sure that he won't play this year yet. Has HE said he wont play this yr? Lets not rule this out completely.
Second: Can we PLEASE ignore the crystal balls? These guys know NOTHING. They know as much as we do.
Third: The notion that anyone on this board is a better shooter than him is ridiculous. And for the person who said they could win at HORSE..he'd just do windmill dunks 5 times in a row and you'd lose. Sorry bud.

This. The crystal ball is the worst thing ever created and unless there is a video of Diallo saying he will only practice this upcoming semester, I don't believe it. I mean, heck, everyone thought a commitment was happening yesterday afternoon and that went well.

Reaction Score
I'm just laughing bc everyone thought I was being serious when I said I could beat him at HORSE. Obv I'm joking around. Was a funny thought I had when reading the thread this morning and people posting about his shooting weaknesses.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This. The crystal ball is the worst thing ever created and unless there is a video of Diallo saying he will only practice this upcoming semester, I don't believe it. I mean, heck, everyone thought a commitment was happening yesterday afternoon and that went well.

According to NYPost sports reporter , Diallo won't be playing this year.... And just maybe hasn't really decided yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm really sorry to be the one to tell you this (really I am)... but I think she died in 2003, bro.

'Doris From Rego Park' Mourned On Late-Night Sports Talk Radio

Kudos to you UConNation, I didn't know if anyone would pick that up but you did so that's great.

Everyone should just relax and wait till Saturday. While its not looking good for UCONN, things might change and the kid may get a clue and see that UCONN is the best place for him.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
He's probably not playing at Putnam for the rest of the year because he read this thread and figured CT wasn't a safe place for him anymore. He's the Boneyard's John Lennon.

Reaction Score
Kudos to you UConNation, I didn't know if anyone would pick that up but you did so that's great.

Everyone should just relax and wait till Saturday. While its not looking good for UCONN, things might change and the kid may get a clue and see that UCONN is the best place for him.

Doris knew her baseball and loved her Mets. Cough, cough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom