Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 101 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
He doesn't know 100%, he would hedging. He'd still be practicing with better talent than HS kids.

But, if you're not playing, you're not getting (a) game experience or (b) the coaching staff's full attention. We've had lots of transfers/redshirts sit out a year and they never improve as fast as the players who are playing. You can't substitute game experience, nor the close work with coaches building off that game experience to fix weaknesses and further improve strengths.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But, if you're not playing, you're not getting (a) game experience or (b) the coaching staff's full attention. We've had lots of transfers/redshirts sit out a year and they never improve as fast as the players who are playing. You can't substitute game experience, nor the close work with coaches building off that game experience to fix weaknesses and further improve strengths.

Let us hope that he sees it the same way. I think UConn is the obvious best choice for him, but my opinion doesn't matter.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
I am personally happy he made it out of UK and the visit with Cal without signing. I think that puts us in good position. Assuming he went home for the New Year and is now weighing his options. On paper it seems as if we are the better option in terms of immediate playing time and ability to make improvements in addition to being closer to home.
However, For me, I hate to lose and that would be a big factor...but if I really thought I was that good, I would make the move to the school that needed me and try to change the program. If he came to UConn and gave us a boost for this year, theoretically, that would boost his stock much more than going to UK and battling for a spot with kids that have been there the whole season.

There is a lot to weigh here, bless the kid for having to make such a difficult decision.

Reaction Score
UK makes a thousand time better choice for him. He'll be practicing against several future NBA players vs. @ UConn against CV and VJ. If he jumps he jumps, if not he'll have a spot next year when several UK guys bolt. I certainly hope he comes here, but trying to look at it from his persoective.

I am personally happy he made it out of UK and the visit with Cal without signing. I think that puts us in good position. Assuming he went home for the New Year and is now weighing his options. On paper it seems as if we are the better option in terms of immediate playing time and ability to make improvements in addition to being closer to home.
However, For me, I hate to lose and that would be a big factor...but if I really thought I was that good, I would make the move to the school that needed me and try to change the program. If he came to UConn and gave us a boost for this year, theoretically, that would boost his stock much more than going to UK and battling for a spot with kids that have been there the whole season.

There is a lot to weigh here, bless the kid for having to make such a difficult decision.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
UK makes a thousand time better choice for him. He'll be practicing against several future NBA players vs. @ UConn against CV and VJ. If he jumps he jumps, if not he'll have a spot next year when several UK guys bolt. I certainly hope he comes here, but trying to look at it from his persoective.

OTOH, given we're most concerned about Diallo contributing to the offense, he'd be practicing against guys who actually play defense, unlike UK.

Reaction Score
Why do you lost here when you hate UConn?

Reaction Score

Shai Alexander and Quade Green are definitely better than Jalen Adams and MAL and Alterique? You're sure about that?

Reaction Score
Shai Alexander and Quade Green are definitely better than Jalen Adams and MAL and Alterique? You're sure about that?

Here they are in order, taking age and development into account: Adams, Green, Gilbert, MAL, Alexander.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I know everyone is down on UConn and Ollie this yr,..and I know they lost some bad games early with Gilbert and Larrier, but this team would have been a force with them. It would have taken a bit to gel, but they would have. Vital and Jackson wouldn't be playing nearly as much. Neither would Purvis.

Diallo might want playing time this yr and a good chance to be on a very good ranked UConn team next yr. He'd be getting guarded in practice by Purvis this yr (who is a very good defender). Next yr, a team with Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Diallo, MAL, Enoch, Durham, Diarra, Polley, Jackson, and Vital might end up as a highly ranked team. Adams will be even better than he is now. Gilbert will fill that Purvis role, but without the court awareness issues. Larrier will pick up where he left off and Diallo will be able to shine on a very talented team where he will still get a ton of PT and will have Adams and Gilbert throwing him lobs. A lineup of Adams, Gilbert, Diallo, Larrier, and Enoch/Durham running the break would be FUN. They'd have MAL and Vital too. They could run all kinds of presses and pressure the ball...im giddy thinking about it.

That team is 11 deep. That's AWESOME. Vitals role would decrease a lot. Also assuming Diarra will be limited if his knees continue to give him trouble. So a solid 9 deep.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't hate UConn, I'm just not a blind homer.

He is probably saying who will make me a better player, playing against Malik Monk or CV? Pretty easy choice. If he wasn't so programmed this minute for the NBA he'd probably want to be the man here.

My sense is the odds he even plays any college bball @ < 50%

Why do you lost here when you hate UConn?

Reaction Score
I don't hate UConn, I'm just not a blind homer.

He is probably saying who will make me a better player, playing against Malik Monk or CV? Pretty easy choice. If he wasn't so programmed this minute for the NBA he'd probably want to be the man here.

My sense is the odds he even plays any college bball @ < 50%
No you're a blind idiot though.

Reaction Score
I'm talking now in case he goes to the draft this year.

Reaction Score
Get lost clown, think about it as a business decision for the kid. He would have committed to UConn by now if it wasn't. It's close to home comparatively speaking, his BF goes here, he knows the team and coaches better than anyone else, etc.

No you're a blind idiot though.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I know everyone is down on UConn and Ollie this yr,..and I know they lost some bad games early with Gilbert and Larrier, but this team would have been a force with them. It would have taken a bit to gel, but they would have. Vital and Jackson wouldn't be playing nearly as much. Neither would Purvis.

Diallo might want playing time this yr and a good chance to be on a very good ranked UConn team next yr. He'd be getting guarded in practice by Purvis this yr (who is a very good defender). Next yr, a team with Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Diallo, MAL, Enoch, Durham, Diarra, Polley , might end up as a highly ranked team. Adams will be even better than he is now. Gilbert will fill that Purvis role, but without the court awareness issues. Larrier will pick up where he left off and Diallo will be able to shine on a very talented team where he will still get a ton of PT and will have Adams and Gilbert throwing him lobs. A lineup of Adams, Gilbert, Diallo, Larrier, and Enoch/Durham running the break would be FUN. They'd have MAL and Vital too. They could run all kinds of presses and pressure the ball...im giddy thinking about it.

The problem is that Larrier could be a one and done player if he stays healthy and Adams could also leave. These developments would mean we would have a very short window of opportunity. Ollie needs to hire someone who is better at evaluating talent on a projection basis. It is extremely important to find players who have at least one Div 1 skill such as a knock down three point shooter, a rip you arm off rebounder and a true point guard that can carry on with the program if the stars leave early.
Look what the departure of DHam has done to the program. If he were still at UConn, the record would be reversed.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The problem is that Larrier could be a one and done player if he stays healthy and Adams could also leave. These developments would mean we would have a very short window of opportunity. Ollie needs to hire someone who is better at evaluating talent on a projection basis. It is extremely important to find players who have at least one Div 1 skill such as a knock down three point shooter, a rip you arm off rebounder and a true point guard that can carry on with the program if the stars leave early.
Look what the departure of DHam has done to the program. If he were still at UConn, the record would be reversed.
I get that. The thing is...I think you're discounting MAL, Gilbert, Jackson, Vital, Durham a bit. They will be Soph/juniors. They should improve every year. Not to mention they'll keep recruiting players. Obviously it hurts to lose, Larrier, Adams, Diallo in one year. But if they all go pro, I'm assuming we've just made another deep run.
Guys have to step up. This isn't UK with tons of 5* recruits every yr. I think UConn will be in a good spot even without Diallo next yr. With him, they are a title contender if healthy. Jackson and Vital are gaining such valuable minutes. They'll be so much better next yr when they put it all together. Shooters like Jackson generally need a season to get used to the pace of the game. Jackson rushes his shot and is too anxious when he gets his chance. I'd bet that his 3 point shooting % skyrockets next yr.

Reaction Score
They should be very good either with Diallo or not.

with Diallo

JA
AG
HD
TL
SE

w/o

JA
AG
MAL
TL
SE

wildcard is Durham, will we see enough for him to be starting 4 and move TL to the 3?

I get that. The thing is...I think you're discounting MAL, Gilbert, Jackson, Vital, Durham a bit. They will be Soph/juniors. They should improve every year. Not to mention they'll keep recruiting players. Obviously it hurts to lose, Larrier, Adams, Diallo in one year. But if they all go pro, I'm assuming we've just made another deep run.
Guys have to step up. This isn't UK with tons of 5* recruits every yr. I think UConn will be in a good spot even without Diallo next yr. With him, they are a title contender if healthy. Jackson and Vital are gaining such valuable minutes. They'll be so much better next yr when they put it all together. Shooters like Jackson generally need a season to get used to the pace of the game. Jackson rushes his shot and is too anxious when he gets his chance. I'd bet that his 3 point shooting % skyrockets next yr.

Reaction Score
A shooter is a shooter, Vance is shooting 31% from the field and 28% from 3. Those are putrid stats and as of right now he doesn't do much else, so he needs to get that right.

Reaction Score
Agree, no idea why we refer to him as a shooter.

A shooter is a shooter, Vance is shooting 31% from the field and 28% from 3. Those are putrid stats and as of right now he doesn't do much else, so he needs to get that right.

Reaction Score
They should be very good either with Diallo or not.

with Diallo

JA
AG
HD
TL
SE

w/o

JA
AG
MAL
TL
SE

wildcard is Durham, will we see enough for him to be starting 4 and move TL to the 3?
Without Diallo our inside game is Larrier and Enoch, plus Durham? Hmm. To me that means we are maybe a touch better than mid conference level. We need another game changing player and I don't care what is being said about our incoming class, I don't see it especially inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom