Hailey Van Lith in the Portal | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Hailey Van Lith in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
not that it matters, but has everyone forgotten that gonzaga is in spokane? seems to meet hailey's 'closer to home'' desires. they have a credible team historically, and a pretty exceptional point guard who also lays claim to a 'van' in her name.

Reaction Score
not that it matters, but has everyone forgotten that gonzaga is in spokane? seems to meet hailey's 'closer to home'' desires. they have a credible team historically, and a pretty exceptional point guard who also lays claim to a 'van' in her name.
True. Be very curious to see Gonzaga is even on Hailey Van Lith's radar.

Reaction Score
So not that many people thinking South Carolina here huh? I think that is pretty interesting considering all that South Carolina has lost and all that they are still bringing back next year. I mean Van Lith can come in and basically be the team leader immediately and provide the a lot of the scoring they are looking for, be surrounded by a bunch of McDonalds All-Americans and 6'7 Giant from Brazil. She's used to playing at the pace SC likes to push it too. I think this would make them the favorites once again to win the natty or at least put them in the conversation with Uconn and LSU. SC is definitely going to try to score some one big in the portal. They always try to, might as well be Haley.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So not that many people thinking South Carolina here huh? I think that is pretty interesting considering all that South Carolina has lost and all that they are still bringing back next year. I mean Van Lith can come in and basically be the team leader immediately and provide the a lot of the scoring they are looking for, be surrounded by a bunch of McDonalds All-Americans and 6'7 Giant from Brazil. She's used to playing at the pace SC likes to push it too. I think this would make them the favorites once again to win the natty or at least put them in the conversation with Uconn and LSU. SC is definitely going to try to score some one big in the portal. They always try to, might as well be Haley.
Playing style wise I think she'd be a solid fit. Very active player and could be a higher usage version of what Zia Cooke brought. They need perimeter shooters. Personality wise, I'm not seeing it though. South Carolina players have always have sort of a relaxed family vibe to me where Hailey Van Lith comes off as super intense anytime I see her talk.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Haley’s personality meshing with South Carolina. I also don’t think they’ll want another guard to come in when they have two all Americans coming in at guard and Hall and Cooper who have had to wait their turn in the backcourt as well. Seems like an easy way to screw up chemistry, same reason why I wouldn’t see her coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
I've been out of the loop for a few days and saw the news but wanted to catch up.

It's still so, so odd to me now that players just want to transfer who have been team leaders, the face of the program, seemigly the most important piece of the puzzle, all after three years in the same place. Two E8s and 1 FF while being the go to option for a chuck of that to head out now just strikes me as strange. It makes me realize I understand young people less and less as I age.

I know she's graduating but I'm sure the school offers grad degrees. She may have decided to be closer to home but it's not like she didn't know where Louisville is located before she went. She may want to play 2 more seasons to increase her NIL earnings and be on a different stage. But really, I just don't get it.

Betts at least is someone who may or may not have upset about playing time, homesick, didn't fit in with the culture, etc. Freshman leaving makes more sense to me than rising seniors.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I've been out of the loop for a few days and saw the news but wanted to catch up.

It's still so, so odd to me now that players just want to transfer who have been team leaders, the face of the program, seemigly the most important piece of the puzzle, all after three years in the same place. Two E8s and 1 FF while being the go to option for a chuck of that to head out now just strikes me as strange. It makes me realize I understand young people less and less as I age.

I know she's graduating but I'm sure the school offers grad degrees. She may have decided to be closer to home but it's not like she didn't know where Louisville is located before she went. She may want to play 2 more seasons to increase her NIL earnings and be on a different stage. But really, I just don't get it.

Betts at least is someone who may or may not have upset about playing time, homesick, didn't fit in with the culture, etc. Freshman leaving makes more sense to me than rising seniors.
We will probably never know the main reason why players similar to Van Lith choose to transfer. Could be as simple as her no longer being happy at Louisville. Could be conflicts with teammates. Could be concerns over her development as a future professional player. Most transfers bite their tongues and don't publicize their reasons especially if it paints others in a bad light.

Reaction Score
We will probably never know the main reason why players similar to Van Lith choose to transfer. Could be as simple as her no longer being happy at Louisville. Could be conflicts with teammates. Could be concerns over her development as a future professional player. Most transfers bite their tongues and don't publicize their reasons especially if it paints others in a bad light.
Agreed and I don't have to know. It still just seems so weird though when players of her stature and success are leaving their programs. I will be curious where she winds up.

sun

Reaction Score
LSU has a fairly reputable MBA program that's valued at $54K per year for out of state tuition.
That along with Mulkey's need is why I think that LSU could be a good fit for her.
Baton Rouge has a lot of other favorable aspects to it.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LSU has a fairly reputable MBA program that's valued at $54K per year for out of state tuition.
That along with Mulkey's need is why I think that LSU could be a good fit for her.
Baton Rouge has a lot of good things going for it.
You are correct about LSU’s MBA program. But trying to play D-1 basketball while taking a bunch of graduate level statistics, finance, economics, marketing & operations management courses is not for the faint of heart. I would think Hailey Van Lith’s transfer is about basketball first and foremost, and a graduate degree secondarily.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You are correct about LSU’s MBA program. But trying to play D-1 basketball while taking a bunch of graduate level statistics, finance, economics, marketing & operations management courses is not for the faint of heart. I would think Hailey Van Lith’s transfer is about basketball first and foremost, and a graduate degree secondarily.
Meaning she wants something specific (that she's not receiving at Louisville) like?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Meaning she wants something specific (that she's not receiving at Louisville) like?
Well the two theories are that she wants to be closer to home or she wants to compete for a championship. If it’s the first she’ll end up at a PAC-12 school in the PNW. If it’s the second then LSU is a very good possibility.

sun

Reaction Score
Maybe some of these classes can be taken over the summer.
But LSU also has one of the top ranked online MBA programs so perhaps she could always finish up online from just about anywhere.

Reaction Score
Just catching up on the news now and reading all the posts in this thread. I remain somewhat unconvinced about LSU. If she wasn't interested in going to Baylor when Mulkey was there, that makes me think twice about her going to play for Mulkey somewhere else. Unless Mulkey is promising a lot more now than before. That aside, I wonder if Hailey Van Lith and Reese would get along personality-wise.

There's also no promise that LSU will end up being a strong contender for a natty next year. Injuries happen, teams end up simply underperforming, etc. If I personally was a player who wanted the strongest chance to win it all, I'd go to a school that had recent sustained success (like, for example, SC).

sun

Reaction Score
Just catching up on the news now and reading all the posts in this thread. I remain somewhat unconvinced about LSU. If she wasn't interested in going to Baylor when Mulkey was there, that makes me think twice about her going to play for Mulkey somewhere else. Unless Mulkey is promising a lot more now than before. That aside, I wonder if Hailey Van Lith and Reese would get along personality-wise.

There's also no promise that LSU will end up being a strong contender for a natty next year. Injuries happen, teams end up simply underperforming, etc. If I personally was a player who wanted the strongest chance to win it all, I'd go to a school that had recent sustained success (like, for example, SC).
Someone recently tweeted a quote of Angel Reese saying that she makes more money than some of the players in the WNBA.
When there's a bunch of strong programs then NIL can tip the scales.
Whatever past circumstances were, when players get together on the same team they share a common goal.
Coaches can make the different personalities click, and the players are getting paid to work together just like in the pros.
If they don't work together, then they've lost their only transfer opportunity and possibly their ticket to a successful future & a degree.
Every player respects who the coach decides that they want to play on their team whether it's Scar, LSU etc...
After all, a fundamental rule of team sports is to respect the coach's authority.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FYI - I think there is a bit of 'character assassination' happening in this thread re Hailey Van Lith. She is a fierce competitor and a baller with a lot of skill. Her first 2 years at Louisville she played 30 minutes a game with a strong team around her. This year her minutes increased to 37 while her efficiency dropped with a diminished team around her. We talk about how exhausting this year was for players like Lou and how banged up she was and she was playing 6 minutes less than Hailey Van Lith in the same number of games.

So she was disappointed at being HM for AA and her reaction was published - not a very good look, but the only 'me first' moment I can think of. And a confrontation on court ... seem to remember a few of those for Uconn this year as well.

I think any team would be thrilled to have her express interest. I happen to think Uconn really doesn't have space in the back court, and you cannot recruit simply because someone might get injured. Ask your self if you would rather get Hailey Van Lith and have KK enter the portal next year because she got no minutes, or have KK have a good development year this year. Because to some degree the portal is filling with players who were portal transfer blocked last year on their current teams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Someone recently tweeted a quote of Angel Reese saying that she makes more money than some of the players in the WNBA.
It is a nice 'story' but any particular player that can say that would be making a lot more money in the WNBA, because most of the NIL they have is going to continue into their pro career.

The twins in Miami are the new age Kardashian's it appears - famous for being famous and raking in a lot more than Angel is, and one of the two is a bench player.

Reaction Score
FYI - I think there is a bit of 'character assassination' happening in this thread re Hailey Van Lith. She is a fierce competitor and a baller with a lot of skill. Her first 2 years at Louisville she played 30 minutes a game with a strong team around her. This year her minutes increased to 37 while her efficiency dropped with a diminished team around her. We talk about how exhausting this year was for players like Lou and how banged up she was and she was playing 6 minutes less than Hailey Van Lith in the same number of games.
I posted here a few weeks ago that some posters here have consistently low opinions of ball dominant players. Hailey Van Lith falls in that category. Frankly she had to be in order for Louisville to be successful this year. I tend to believe that often times these high volume shooters and scorers have been given the green light from their coach to keep them in games and offer chances to win even if it's not the preferred style of basketball from many fans.

While I remain confused over her decision to transfer, I believe she will be an asset to most teams, especially if she is willing to adapt her game if she finds herself on a more talented roster.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga probably becomes a borderline Top 10 team with Hailey Van Lith in the fold, assuming most of their team is coming back which it seems like

sun

Reaction Score
It is a nice 'story' but any particular player that can say that would be making a lot more money in the WNBA, because most of the NIL they have is going to continue into their pro career.

The twins in Miami are the new age Kardashian's it appears - famous for being famous and raking in a lot more than Angel is, and one of the two is a bench player.
She's cashing in by transferring to LSU & now for winning a NC.
She's Bayou Barbie & the Double Double Queen.
Her mantra is to be who you are as a form of personal empowerment, and she gives a lot of glory to God.
Louisianan's love her!

Reaction Score
Playing style wise I think she'd be a solid fit. Very active player and could be a higher usage version of what Zia Cooke brought. They need perimeter shooters. Personality wise, I'm not seeing it though. South Carolina players have always have sort of a relaxed family vibe to me where Hailey Van Lith comes off as super intense anytime I see her talk.
South Carolina players have known to be patient and are willing to wait their turn and play off the bench if it means what's best for the team. I don't see what is so "relaxed" about an evironment where if you don't win the entire thing it's a disappointment. I think that is right up Hailey Van Lith's personality. Add Van Lith you are looking at a starting line up.

1. Raven Johnson
2. Hailey Van Lith
3. Bree Hall
4. Sania Faegin
5. Kamilla Carso

B Team
1. Fulwiley
2. Cooper
3. Tessa Johnson
4. Cloe Kitts
5. Aslyn Watkins

That's a scary line up.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
South Carolina players have known to be patient and are willing to wait their turn and play off the bench if it means what's best for the team. I don't see what is so "relaxed" about an evironment where if you don't win the entire thing it's a disappointment. I think that is right up Hailey Van Lith's personality. Add Van Lith you are looking at a starting line up.

1. Raven Johnson
2. Hailey Van Lith
3. Bree Hall
4. Sania Faegin
5. Kamilla Carso

B Team
1. Fulwiley
2. Cooper
3. Tessa Johnson
4. Cloe Kitts
5. Aslyn Watkins

That's a scary line up.

Relaxed wasn't indicating they aren't extremely motivated/competitive, it was more of an off court observation like how A'ja Wilson/Sue Bird/Diana Taurasi all seem more relaxed and easy going off the court. Hailey Van Lith just always has an intensity about her from what I've seen. I agree that'd be a great lineup which could compete for a title. I'm just not sure the personality and playing styles mesh. Having someone as ball dominant as Hailey Van Lith come in her first year and take over a huge portion of the offense could ruffle a lot of feathers, or the flip side is she's reduced to more of a complimentary role which in turn could be a struggle for her to adjust to.

Reaction Score
Maybe some of these classes can be taken over the summer.
But LSU also has one of the top ranked online MBA programs so perhaps she could always finish up online from just about anywhere.
Many of the top MBA programs want two years of relatable business work experience prior to enrollment, so not sure the MBA route would work.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Relaxed wasn't indicating they aren't extremely motivated/competitive, it was more of an off court observation like how A'ja Wilson/Sue Bird/Diana Taurasi all seem more relaxed and easy going off the court. Hailey Van Lith just always has an intensity about her from what I've seen. I agree that'd be a great lineup which could compete for a title. I'm just not sure the personality and playing styles mesh. Having someone as ball dominant as Hailey Van Lith come in her first year and take over a huge portion of the offense could ruffle a lot of feathers, or the flip side is she's reduced to more of a complimentary role which in turn could be a struggle for her to adjust to.
I think this 'ball dominant' concept for Hailey Van Lith is a bit of a stretch - last year playing 31 minutes a game she shot 24% of the cardinal offensive possessions, it was only this year after Engster and Smith departed and she played 37 minutes per game that her shot attempts went to 30%. Zia Cook playing 27 minutes a game ended up taking 23% of the shots this year. That works out in shots per minute to .49 for Zia, while Haley this year was at .46 per minute, last year with a better supporting cast she was at .41 shots per minute.

So was Zia considered terribly ball dominant this year? She took 153 more shots than Boston.

I don't think Hailey Van Lith is coming to SC but if she did, I would expect her minutes to decline to a more reasonable number, but her usage would end up similar to Cook. And I suspect that if she transfers to any really good team, that would be the case. If she transfers to a lesser team than I wouldn't be surprised to see that team lean on her to nearly the same degree that Louisville did this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom