Gusters to LSU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gusters to LSU

Reaction Score
What about her players? her seniors like N'aylissa Smith who probably came to Baylor because of her. You don't give them a heads up? If it's true they found out through social media that's not the way to go out..
Was it not Gusters who posted on IG her and Kim were laughing at the lies & rumors about her going to LSU , then boom they both go ? Smh

Reaction Score
Maybe. Or, perhaps Gusters was the only one who acted very quickly. She might have already been contemplating a transfer prior to Mulkey's departure based on lack of playing time her first season, and upcoming season. And, maybe some of the players want to first allow the new coaching hire at Baylor to be named; and, then make the best decisions possible for themselves.
Caitlin Bickle and Queen E tweeted/retweeted once a bear, always a bear so I’m assuming they’re leaning towards staying. Smith also looks like she’s staying based off her Twitter. And then Moon I have a feeling will leave.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Caitlin Bickle and Queen E tweeted/retweeted once a bear, always a bear so I’m assuming they’re leaning towards staying. Smith also looks like she’s staying based off her Twitter. And then Moon I have a feeling will leave.
Makes sense as those 3 are all rising seniors. I recall someone posting that when you've already accumulated 3 years worth of college credit coursework at one school, it's not easy getting all those credits to transfer to a different school. So, sometimes the academic side takes precedence.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe. Or, perhaps Gusters was the only one who acted very quickly. She might have already been contemplating a transfer prior to Mulkey's departure based on lack of playing time her first season, and upcoming season. And, maybe some of the players want to first allow the new coaching hire at Baylor to be named; and, then make the best decisions possible for themselves.
Time will tell. As I noted in an earlier post. Evina entered the portal at TN, but subsequently agreed to meet with KJH to discuss staying, prior to finalizing her decision to transfer to UConn. Smith & Egbo are obviously the key players at Baylor. I don’t see either transferring for several reasons.

Smith has already made clear that she plans to be back at Baylor. It almost seems personal to her, and I do believe she is the team leader. The Lady Bears have an outside chance at a championship next season. LSU does not imo. Both Smith and Egbo will be seniors and likely headed to the pros after next season. There is no particular reason to transfer somewhere else.

So long as Baylor doesn’t fumble the new HC hire, I don’t anticipate any major changes to the roster. If players were wavering they would have already placed their names in the portal.

Reaction Score
Time will tell. As I noted in an earlier post. Evina entered the portal at TN, but subsequently agreed to meet with KJH to discuss staying, prior to finalizing her decision to transfer to UConn. Smith & Egbo are obviously the key players at Baylor. I don’t see either transferring for several reasons.

Smith has already made clear that she plans to be back at Baylor. It almost seems personal to her, and I do believe she is the team leader. The Lady Bears have an outside chance at a championship next season. LSU does not imo. Both Smith and Egbo will be seniors and likely headed to the pros after next season. There is no particular reason to transfer somewhere else.

So long as Baylor doesn’t fumble the new HC hire, I don’t anticipate any major changes to the roster. If players were wavering they would have already placed their names in the portal.
They could be waiting to see who the hire is before entering their name as well...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They could be waiting to see who the hire is before entering their name as well...
Perhaps, but why wait? Top schools are lining up transfers as we speak. Certainly Smith and Egbo can place their names in the portal and still decide to stay. The new Baylor HC, whoever they are, is not going to shut the door on either player. As I mentioned in another post, Evina placed her name in the portal, then talked to new LV HC KJH about staying and subsequently decided to transfer to UConn.

Reaction Score

Miss St basically retained its entire roster when Vic left, the attrition occurred the year after. Juniors and seniors are the least likely kids to leave as they are almost done with school and it becomes a mess at that point to move. I anticipate Baylor won’t really have much movement this year. Carr, Kamaria, and Owens already transferred so they would have to sit out a year if they want to transfer. Although Carr is kinda in a grey area with her situation

I am curious if Jordan Lewis will stick with Baylor or explore her options. Copeland transferred from Alabama to LSU then got a release after the coaching change which she then went on to sign with Arizona

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but why wait? Top schools are lining up transfers as we speak. Certainly Smith and Egbo can place their names in the portal and still decide to stay. The new Baylor HC, whoever they are, is not going to shut the door on either player. As I mentioned in another post, Evina placed her name in the portal, then talked to new LV HC KJH about staying and subsequently decided to transfer to UConn.
The same reason Evina waited, it could be a better situation or an absolute disaster.

Reaction Score
Miss St basically retained its entire roster when Vic left, the attrition occurred the year after. Juniors and seniors are the least likely kids to leave as they are almost done with school and it becomes a mess at that point to move. I anticipate Baylor won’t really have much movement this year.

I am curious if Jordan Lewis will stick with Baylor or explore her options. Copeland transferred from Alabama to LSU then got a release after the coaching change which she then went on to sign with Arizona
Baylor board stating that she would have to get released in order to leave Referring to lewis , but there was a coaching change ....does that not matter ? Didn't a kid transfer to LSU and once Nikki left she transferred again to Arizona ? Jordan's a Grad transfer as well so im sure the cards may be in her favor with this one ? Please correct me if im wrong !

Reaction Score
Baylor board stating that she would have to get released in order to leave Referring to lewis , but there was a coaching change ....does that not matter ? Didn't a kid transfer to LSU and once Nikki left she transferred again to Arizona ? Jordan's a Grad transfer as well so im sure the cards may be in her favor with this one ? Please correct me if im wrong !
If Lewis wanted out and wanted to leave, Baylor would look bad not to grant her the release. I don’t think Baylor would do that to her though. I don’t think she has even stepped foot in Waco. We will see what she decides to do

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think they are wrong. Even though Harvard transfer, Katie Benzan "signed" some agreement with Texas in November 2019 to join the squad in Fall 2020 (as per the official statement by Texas), she changed her mind in April 2020 after Vic Schaefer was hired at Texas. Apparently, because she is a grad-transfer, her part of the deal is non-binding. So, she simply decided to "sign" with Maryland in April 2020; no release from Texas was required.

Reaction Score
There is no way any big name coach, or any up and coming coach would go to Baylor. Vic and Texas will replace them as the power team in the Big 12. Kim did an extraordinary job there, almost doing the same miraculous transformational thing as Geno. Outsiders ask why would anyone want to go to Uconn, the cow town? We have Geno, thats why. The only thing Waco has is Chip and Joanna.
I have to disagree there. Baylor is one of the blue bloods of women’s basketball. I’m guessing the biggest problem will be that most of the top coaches are already invested in their teams and several of the up and comers/ prospective greats; Berube, Banghart, perhaps Barnes are recently hired/successfully raising expectations in their current job. In short, the job is very attractive but the list of really good/available coaches seems to be pretty small. Who was the coach at Dayton? several years ago who retired? Jabril maybe? Maybe they could coax him out. I remember being very impressed with him. Gonzaga’s coach seems to always do well. They may have to take a chance on one of the young successful mid major coaches or even a highly touted assistant to one of the great coaches like Moseley, Shea, Ivey. (All presumably unavailable now)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I have to disagree there. Baylor is one of the blue bloods of women’s basketball. I’m guessing the biggest problem will be that most of the top coaches are already invested in their teams and several of the up and comers/ prospective greats; Berube, Banghart, perhaps Barnes are recently hired/successfully raising expectations in their current job. In short, the job is very attractive but the list of really good/available coaches seems to be pretty small. Who was the coach at Dayton? several years ago who retired? Jabril maybe? Maybe they could coax him out. I remember being very impressed with him. Gonzaga’s coach seems to always do well. They may have to take a chance on one of the young successful mid major coaches or even a highly touted assistant to one of the great coaches like Moseley, Shea, Ivey. (All presumably unavailable now)
I could be mistaken but I think the Dayton coach was Jim Jabre, and again I'm trying to remember that he just recently signed on with Siena. Baylor is a blueblood only since Kim got there, so the new coach has to be a name or a good young coach with a good rapport with young kids. This program can go either way, so they better act fast.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The same reason Evina waited, it could be a better situation or an absolute disaster.
But there is a difference. Evina entered the portal and then waited to see what the new TN Coach had to say. She was smart in that she could field offers from other teams while preserving her option to stay at TN. Smith and Egbo are not in the portal so teams that might otherwise be interested in pursuing them are prohibited from contacting them by NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
Is there a deadline for a player to enter the portal? I can't recall reading one but there have been so many changes and threads I honestly am not sure if there is a firm deadline

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is there a deadline for a player to enter the portal? I can't recall reading one but there have been so many changes and threads I honestly am not sure if there is a firm deadline
Originally it was May 1 for winter sports, but the NCAA has extended that deadline to July 1 for this past season.

Reaction Score
Originally it was May 1 for winter sports, but the NCAA has extended that deadline to July 1 for this past season.
Thank you. It’s tough for an old guy like me to keep track of all these changes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom