Gusters to LSU | The Boneyard

Gusters to LSU

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow!!! This week has been full of surprises. My turban almost fell off when I read this news. :eek: When we found out that Gusters DID NOT want any colleges to contact her, it was evident she had already found a new home. It wasn't hard to figure out where. Unless you've been living under a rock, you knew EXACTLY were she was going. Kim needed height, and needed it badly. And with the new transfer rules, Gusters can play right away.

Baylor is going to be depleted by Mulkey's departure. This brings to mind the lyrics in the song by Frank Sinatra...That's life........."You're riding high in April, shot down in May." It's going to take whoever replaces her several years (or more) to get this program back up and running in the top 25.

It's going to take a coach with name recognition. Someone the top ranked prospects already know and are willing to play for. Otherwise, Baylor like so many other programs that won a national championship and then had a coaching change, died and never quite regained their once top 10 rankings (Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion, Purdue, Southern California, Texas and Texas Tech). These programs have NEVER recovered (no NC or FF) to this point, and may never return to prominence again. I'm still waiting on Baylor to announce Kim's replacement. Whoever it is may arrive to find the cupboard bare, and have to start from scratch. When Kim left, she took that program's heart and soul with her. :confused: Sadly, the Baylor WBB team we've known for the last 21 years no longer exists. We'll see how things work out. Right now, that body is on life support.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Have to say I am absolutely shocked by this news.
Yeah, none of us saw THIS coming. ;) I think Kim may take 1-2 more of her former players with her. Gusters may have opened the flood gates. Kim may not be totally "enchanted" with everyone of her new players. It's quite possible that several of them aren't her kind of players (skill/talent wise), and don't quite fit into the scheme of what she wants to do, and the type of game she wants to play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, none of us saw THIS coming. :eek: I think Kim may take 1-2 more of her former players with her. Gusters may have opened the flood gates.
LSU doesn’t really have much room. Nikki decided to fill the roster for the first time in her life before leaving. They might have one more spot unless someone else leaves

Reaction Score
Up to 19 on the roster.

13 returnees + 3 Covid returnees + 2 walkons + Gusters

1 scholarship open ... for now

gotta figure transfers are coming

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LSU doesn’t really have much room. Nikki decided to fill the roster for the first time in her life before leaving. They might have one more spot unless someone else leaves
Doesn’t the school have the right to rescind a scholly?

Reaction Score

I doubt a good chunk of those players will be on the team once the season starts back again in the Fall.

Reaction Score
Yeah, none of us saw THIS coming. :eek: I think Kim may take 1-2 more of her former players with her. Gusters may have opened the flood gates. Kim may not be totally "enchanted" with everyone of her new players. It's quite possible that several of them aren't her kind of players, and don't quite fit into the scheme of what she wants to do, and the type of game she wants to play.
The new transfer rules create the situation where a coach changing schools can bring their players with them to the extent possible. Many teams don't use all of their scholarships, so imagine when a coach switches schools they can take the top 1 or 2 kids with them. Might be an added dimension for coaching changes because you not only get the coach but also might get proven top players too making the team an instant contender instead of bringing in a new coach and waiting 4-5 years for it to pay dividends. Imagine if Shea took Paige and Edwards with her?

Reaction Score
I’m not an expert on how that all works to be honest unless someone can chime in. I have a feeling Kim won’t be for many of the current kids anyways so you’d see attrition regardless. Kim was supposed to add the Kansas St transfer Christianna Carr before leaving Baylor, it be awesome to have her here as Nikki left us with guards who can’t shoot outside of Pointer

I’m excited but realistic. Kim has her work cut out for her rebuilding this roster

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The "portal" & new transfer/eligibility rules have had a dramatic effect on programs. Legacy programs are being decimated literally overnight as "legal" collusion is basically being allowed. Top players are allowed to move with no consequence & this has dramatically shifted the power structure & title chances for next year. Not sure if this is what the NCAA had in mind. Poorly thought out, imo.

Reaction Score
Wow!!! This week has been full of surprises. My turban almost fell off when I read this news. :eek: When we found out that Gusters DID NOT want any colleges to contact her, it was evident she had already found a new home. It wasn't hard to figure out where. Unless you've been living under a rock, you knew EXACTLY were she was going. Kim needed height, and needed it badly. And with the new transfer rules, Gusters can play right away.

Baylor is going to be depleted by Mulkey's departure. This brings to mind the lyrics in the song by Frank Sinatra...That's life........."You're riding high in April, shot down in May." It's going to take whoever replaces her several years (or more) to get this program back up and running in the top 25.

It's going to take a coach with name recognition. Someone the top ranked prospects already know and are willing to play for. Otherwise, Baylor like so many other programs that won a national championship and then had a coaching change, died and never quite regained their once top 10 rankings (Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion, Purdue, Southern California, Texas and Texas Tech). These programs have NEVER recovered (no NC or FF) to this point, and may never return to prominence again. I'm still waiting on Baylor to announce Kim's replacement. Whoever it is may arrive to find the cupboard bare, and have to start from scratch. We'll see.
You left out the biggest name, not to get back to their original heights, Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Scholarships have traditionally been only for a year at a time (tho there’s been a move to make them 4 year guaranteed) so it’s not rescinding but just not renewing.

but only really done in football

bad PR to do that in wcbb. Easier/cleaner to just point out that a player has no future there and encourage them to transfer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With 2 weeks remaining in the school year? Maybe the school could do it but if I were a recruit it would make me think twice about the school

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth the transfer portal closes today, so if a player has not listed their name in the portal by today, it’s too late to do so. Gusters just got in under the wire yesterday. Transfers listed in the portal have until July 1 to sign with another team.

Reaction Score
The last paragraph of that article.

"Since Mulkey's hiring on Monday, LSU has received nearly 2,500 deposits for 2021-22 women's basketball season tickets. Fans wishing to put down a deposit for next year's LSU women's basketball season can do so at www.LSUtix.net."

Mulkey is making things happen.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Unless Baylor signs a quality coach quickly there may be some more bears in the portal. I know I would be wondering how my collegiate career was being handled by the powers that be. A poor choice of a coach could derail my hopes of a pro career. I would seriously be searching out my options right now.

Reaction Score
The last paragraph of that article.

"Since Mulkey's hiring on Monday, LSU has received nearly 2,500 deposits for 2021-22 women's basketball season tickets. Fans wishing to put down a deposit for next year's LSU women's basketball season can do so at www.LSUtix.net."

Mulkey is making things happen.
Most excitement in the WBB program since Pokey years. Nikki had a lot of optimism early on but she kinda sucked the life out of the program towards the end

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth the transfer portal closes today, so if a player has not listed their name in the portal by today, it’s too late to do so. Gusters just got in under the wire yesterday. Transfers listed in the portal have until July 1 to sign with another team.
That's interesting to know. I wonder about a law suit saying that Baylor has taken too long to find a coach thereby depriving a player of making an informed decision.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's interesting to know. I wonder about a law suit saying that Baylor has taken too long to find a coach thereby depriving a player of making an informed decision.
That would be creative. I don’t think a college has any particular legal responsibility to fill an open HC job in a particular timeframe. In any event, Baylor players could conceivably put their name in the portal, wait and see who the new HC is and then make a decision to go or stay. Remember transfers have until July 1.

If you recall, Evina had entered the portal at TN prior to the hiring of Kelly Harper. As a courtesy, she met with Harper before making her decision. To the everlasting gratitude of UConn fans, Evina still decided to leave Knoxville and head to Storrs.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That would be creative. I don’t think a college has any particular legal responsibility to fill an open HC job in a particular timeframe. In any event, Baylor players could conceivably put their name in the portal, wait and see who the new HC is and then make a decision to go or stay. Remember transfers have until July 1.

If you recall, Evina had entered the portal at TN prior to the hiring of Kelly Harper. As a courtesy, she met with Harper before making her decision. To the everlasting gratitude of UConn fans, Evina still decided to leave Knoxville and head to Storrs.

If players are considering a transfer, they should hedge bets and put their name in the portal, knowing they can stay or go when a new coach is named, or until July 1 at the latest to change teams.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Rejuvenated Kim clearing roster space. ;)
Bye Bye Goodbye GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom