Gusters to LSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gusters to LSU

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth the transfer portal closes today, so if a player has not listed their name in the portal by today, it’s too late to do so. Gusters just got in under the wire yesterday. Transfers listed in the portal have until July 1 to sign with another team.
Wow....I misunderstood the rule for this year in thinking players had until July 1 to put name in. I didn’t even consider if that was true what the deadline would be to decide on new school.

Reaction Score
Up to 19 on the roster.

13 returnees + 3 Covid returnees + 2 walkons + Gusters

1 scholarship open ... for now

gotta figure transfers are coming
Those WalkOns are about to become WalkOffs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m not an expert on how that all works to be honest unless someone can chime in. I have a feeling Kim won’t be for many of the current kids anyways so you’d see attrition regardless. Kim was supposed to add the Kansas St transfer Christianna Carr before leaving Baylor, it be awesome to have her here as Nikki left us with guards who can’t shoot outside of Pointer

I’m excited but realistic. Kim has her work cut out for her rebuilding this roster
Fear not!! Kim knows what she's doing and how she needs to do it (as much as the NACC rules allow her to). There are "subtle" ways of telling players you inherit that they don't fit into your plans for next year and beyond, and it would behoove them to enter the portal and find another school to continue their pursuit of scholastic and athletic achievement. Has her new coaching staff been announced yet?

Mulkey has promised to hit the ground running this year. Her bravado and swag will not allow her to waste a year with the players she inherited trying to get LSU back in the top 25/top 10. She will have a team that's formidable THIS YEAR. No doubt, the next call she made after calling a moving company was to whatever staff she had assembled to that point, and got to work on job 1, seeing who they could use/recruit in the portal that was still uncommitted.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Very interested to see what happens for players like Carr, Andrews, McDaniel, Dauda and even Jordan Lewis. I think it's safe to say the vast majority of players who commit to Baylor did so for Kim rather than the school/culture. Without Kim being on board, I wonder how many of these players stay or if they wind up transferring elsewhere.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Very interested to see what happens for players like Carr, Andrews, McDaniel, Dauda and even Jordan Lewis. I think it's safe to say the vast majority of players who commit to Baylor did so for Kim rather than the school/culture. Without Kim being on board, I wonder how many of these players stay or if they wind up transferring elsewhere.
You already know the answer to that question. They ALL committed to play FOR THE COACH, not the university. :cool: If the coach is gone, so are they.

Reaction Score
If they rescinded one for an incoming freshman, it would be a terrible look.
I don't think anyones scholarship will be rescinded, but a coach might be upfront with a player about their future and might encourage them to hit the portal. Not sure if there is a nice way of doing it but these situations are never easy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Carr, Andrews, McDaniel, Dauda Jordan Lewis are all interesting but NaLyssa Smith is the only remaining "game changer" IMO.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth the transfer portal closes today, so if a player has not listed their name in the portal by today, it’s too late to do so. Gusters just got in under the wire yesterday. Transfers listed in the portal have until July 1 to sign with another team.
I don't think that's correct.

Athletes must submit to their school a notification of transfer by certain dates to be immediately eligible at their next location. Fall- and winter-sport athletes would have to notify their schools by May 1, and spring sport athletes would have until July 1. However, because of the timing of the Council’s decision, the fall and winter sports’ notification date will be pushed this summer to July 1—a quasi-deadline day in the college sports world similar to those in professional leagues

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Those WalkOns are about to become WalkOffs.
nah, keep the walkons for cannon fodder in practice. They don't cost anything. The bottom of the depth chart with schollies better hit the portal

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I don't think anyones scholarship will be rescinded, but a coach might be upfront with a player about their future and might encourage them to hit the portal. Not sure if there is a nice way of doing it but these situations are never easy.
The nice way is the straight way and offering to give help and recommendations

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think that's correct.

Athletes must submit to their school a notification of transfer by certain dates to be immediately eligible at their next location. Fall- and winter-sport athletes would have to notify their schools by May 1, and spring sport athletes would have until July 1. However, because of the timing of the Council’s decision, the fall and winter sports’ notification date will be pushed this summer to July 1—a quasi-deadline day in the college sports world similar to those in professional leagues

I had not realized the May 1 deadline had been pushed back. I stand corrected.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Carr, Andrews, McDaniel, Dauda Jordan Lewis are all interesting but NaLyssa Smith is the only remaining "game changer" IMO.
I think it's incredibly unlikely that Smith or Egbo transfer based on them being juniors going into their senior season. As far as I know, most universities only accept 2 years worth of credits from transfers, so academically both lose a year of credits by transferring as undergrads and it would push them a year back on their graduation track. They could transfer for a year and go pro after, but likely won't get their degree completed. Or they could stick around 2 years after transferring and complete their degree, but I dont see that happening as both have good WNBA potential (especially Smith).

If they're close to graduating, they could load up summer term and finish in 3 years (which is what Ariel Howard did) and then grad transfer for their last year of eligibility. Time will tell but Kim leaving right before their senior year puts them in somewhat of a bind compared to if they were underclassmen.

Reaction Score
LSU fans can give better context but here's the roster:

• 3 players (Pointer Cherry Aifuwa) returning for a covid year. None count against scholarship limit and all got major minutes last year.
  • 2 transfers (Newby & Gusters)
  • 6 other returnees (Payne Shematsi Thomas / Davis / Lombard Petty). Dunno if there were injuries but only 1 or 2 seem to get decent minutes
  • 6 frosh -- 1-2 are top 100 (Hall, Ware)

They could easily lose 1/2 of those underclassmen and be fine.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The nice way is the straight way and offering to give help and recommendations
Husky, you beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest the same thing. There's more than one way to "ceremoniously" show someone the door. :)

Reaction Score
LSU fans can give better context but here's the roster:

• 3 players (Pointer Cherry Aifuwa) returning for a covid year. None count against scholarship limit and all got major minutes last year.
  • 2 transfers (Newby & Gusters)
  • 6 other returnees (Payne Shematsi Thomas / Davis / Lombard Petty). Dunno if there were injuries but only 1 or 2 seem to get decent minutes
  • 6 frosh -- 1-2 are top 100 (Hall, Ware)

They could easily lose 1/2 of those underclassmen and be fine.
LSU would probably benefit from a good chunk of its current roster leaving. The incoming freshmen class isn't gonna cut it for Kim. I just don't think there is much available in the transfer portal that are of quality this late, unless I am missing something. Christinna Carr may be the only one I can think of that Kim might want.

Kim likely will have to suck it up year 1 and will probably replicate what Duke did this summer and hit the portal hard next summer to turn the roster around in addition to recruiting. There isn't a lot of true talent on this current team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it's incredibly unlikely that Smith or Egbo transfer based on them being juniors going into their senior season. As far as I know, most universities only accept 2 years worth of credits from transfers, so academically both lose a year of credits by transferring as undergrads and it would push them a year back on their graduation track. They could transfer for a year and go pro after, but likely won't get their degree completed. Or they could stick around 2 years after transferring and complete their degree, but I dont see that happening as both have good WNBA potential (especially Smith).

If they're close to graduating, they could load up summer term and finish in 3 years (which is what Ariel Howard did) and then grad transfer for their last year of eligibility. Time will tell but Kim leaving right before their senior year puts them in somewhat of a bind compared to if they were underclassmen.
I admire the emphasis that you put on getting that degree I only hope that these players are thinking the same way. My experience is that credits transferred are negotiable and we are in a whole new world now where distance learning is closer to the norm than not for NCAA athletes. i don't see being a junior or getting a degree being an obstacle for Smith deciding to transfer. She has already won a national championship so I don't see her going to a team with a loaded roster to win another one. The only reason I could actually see her transferring is to put herself in the best situation to be WNBA prepared. That will largely depend on who Baylor get to replace Kim.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Georgia HC Joni Taylor poured cold water on the idea of having any interest in the Baylor job, indicating that she and her family were very happy at UGA.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Husky, you beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest the same thing. There's more than one way to "ceremoniously" show someone the door. :)
Once a coach commits to a kid. from that moment on they must do everything possible to make that kid a success. You don't throw away a kid You do everything in your power to put that kid in a place to succeed and if its not on your team than find them a place to succeed somewhere else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom