Guess t rotation 2017-2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guess t rotation 2017-2018

Reaction Score
Anderson will most likely play more than 10 min/ game. Highly doubt Adams and larrier play 35 min/ game as there should be depth available to give them rest. You don't want to wear down your 2 best players. There will be some games they play those minutes but they will be far and few between unless there mass injuries again

There are only 4 guys I trust on this roster: Adams, Vital, Larrier, Gilbert. These guys will all get 30+mpg.

Everyone else could be a total scrub and we're left trying to hide black holes on the floor. We want as few minutes for that group as possible.

The best case is that one or two of the other guys emerge as being worthy of 20+ mpg.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I have no idea.

Gilbert, Adams, Vital, and Larrier will play a lot. Anderson is near certain to be a steady rotation player and Onuorah and Cobb will fetch at least a few token minutes.

Of the remaining players, Diarra - being a fairly well regarded recruit with a season under his belt already - seems like a good beat to earn a prominent role.

But it gets real, real murky beyond the top four or five. I won't dress it up. Sitting here on August 8th, it's not good that more than half of our scholarship players could conceivably be DNP candidates at any given point during the season

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think it's possible that Anderson starts, at least at the start of the season?

Reaction Score
I mean if our guard depth is 4, and we start may end up starting 3 of them or God forbid someone gets hurt.. That isn't great.

Better than last year after Gilbert got hurt and we had a very inexperienced Vital left to play a lot. Good news is he took full advantage and now is a better player because of it.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Holy crap are Jalen, Alterique, Vital, and Anderson our only guards?

We played with one point guard last year and now we have 3.5 point guards. The problem is we have absolutely no pure two guards but we've won without that before. We do have Larrier , Polley and possibly Williams as wings. The team has a lot of unproven parts but Compared to last year we have enough.

Adams , Alterique, Vital , Larrier and Onuorah.

It'll change at least once by January.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think it's possible that Anderson starts, at least at the start of the season?

That would not be a good sign
Better than last year after Gilbert got hurt and we had a very inexperienced Vital left to play a lot. Good news is he took full advantage and now is a better player because of it.
Can you name the last time we had 4 quality experienced guards?

Reaction Score
I mean if our guard depth is 4, and we start may end up starting 3 of them or God forbid someone gets hurt.. That isn't great.
I seriously doubt Ollie is going to start three guards. I seriously doubt we will have three guards on the floor on a consistent basis. I know people have been stating that on here but I don't think it will happen. It really doesn't matter who starts, it matters who plays minutes. I think Ollie will start a more "traditional" lineup. Adams, Vital, Larrier, Diarra, Onuorah (assuming health for Larrier of course). Gilbert first off the bench and maybe more minutes than Vital. I'm sure we will have three guards on the floor at times, but I don't believe it will be a consistent strategy. IF Larrier isn't good to go on day one, I could see Vital at the three and then I would expect to be wrong about this. If Larrier is healthy and can play minutes we will have a more "traditional" lineup IMHO.

Reaction Score
The problem is we have absolutely no pure two guards but we've won without that before.
You could argue that our best seasons were when we had 2 point guards starting in the backcourt. As long as they can both shoot and at least one of them plays very good defense then I think that is a very good thing.

Reaction Score
This is highly speculative. I don't see any scenario though, where the experienced guys they brought in, Onourah and Anderson, don't see quality minutes. Probably Cobb as well.

Starters
C David Onuorah
PF Diarra
SF Larrier
SG Adams
PG Gilbert

Significant bench minutes
Vital
Anderson
Cobb
Carlton

Riding pine
Whaley
Williams
Polley
I agree and ad Tranfers out of program Whaley, Polley

Reaction Score
I am amazed by how many listed Onuorah as a starter. I was thinking he would get 5-10 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
C-Mamadou Diarra
**Terry Larrier
G Al Gilbert
G Christian Vital
G Jalen Adams

-------------------------
G A Andersen (6th man)
**Josh Carlton
C David Onuorah
F Kwintin Williams
F Tyler Polley
-----------------------------------

C Eric Cobb
F Isiah Whaley

Cobb will be a starter and will be a huge part of the offense on this team

Reaction Score
I am hoping Cobb gets in shape and wins the starting job because I think he has more upside than Onourah, but a huge part of our offense? That might be wishing for too much

Reaction Score

I wouldn't be surprised if Cobb is the starting center. He certainly has size and seems to be pretty athletic for a guy that big. However, I am curious as to your reasoning as to why he will be a huge part of the offense. If I recall correctly, he scored a little over 1 point per game as a freshman at South Carolina. I think he will be a contributor for sure, but a huge part of the offense seems to be a stretch.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt Ollie is going to start three guards. I seriously doubt we will have three guards on the floor on a consistent basis. I know people have been stating that on here but I don't think it will happen. It really doesn't matter who starts, it matters who plays minutes. I think Ollie will start a more "traditional" lineup. Adams, Vital, Larrier, Diarra, Onuorah (assuming health for Larrier of course). Gilbert first off the bench and maybe more minutes than Vital. I'm sure we will have three guards on the floor at times, but I don't believe it will be a consistent strategy. IF Larrier isn't good to go on day one, I could see Vital at the three and then I would expect to be wrong about this. If Larrier is healthy and can play minutes we will have a more "traditional" lineup IMHO.

Starting a "traditional" lineup is what got us consistently down 13-5 at the under-12 timeout. Two black holes on offense makes it way too easy to stop the ones who actually can score.

T

The Butler

Tough to call, I think it will change quite a bit as the season rolls on..

G - Adams
G - Gilbert
F - Laurier
F - Diarra
C - Cobb

Vital, Anderson, Carlton first 3 off the bench, Polley, Whaley, Omourah can earn their time.

Hope Anderson meets the challenge and I pray Carlton or Polley outplay their recruiting projections..

This place REALLY needs the season to start, wow.. Like a rolling bar fight.

Reaction Score
I think clearly Adams Gilbert Vital Laurier are our best four players so they will be on the floor at the end of games.

Is Diarra healthy? I hate when we play two guys who can't hit a shot outside of two feet.

Reaction Score
Starting a "traditional" lineup is what got us consistently down 13-5 at the under-12 timeout. Two black holes on offense makes it way too easy to stop the ones who actually can score.
What do you think starting a lineup that can't rebound will do? Do you really think Larrier getting leaned on in the paint for 30 minutes is going to work? People seem to think that. I don't. But, that is why these are opinions. We'll all find out in a few months.

Reaction Score
What do you think starting a lineup that can't rebound will do? Do you really think Larrier getting leaned on in the paint for 30 minutes is going to work? People seem to think that. I don't. But, that is why these are opinions. We'll all find out in a few months.

You're dating yourself. Nobody plays with two back-to-the-basket bigs anymore. Larrier isn't going to get leaned on in the paint for 30 minutes.

Moreover, you're going to neuter your offense out of fear that the other team's 4 is Tim Duncan? Bad strategy.

Reaction Score
I agree the team will be as good as the play of our 4 guards and Larrier. I think these 5 will play major minutes, (not all on the court together), and this 5 will carry the scoring load. The rest is a guess.

From the 2 times I saw Cobb, I think his impact on offense can be passing and setting big screens for the guards to work off of. I think he can have a significant impact on the offense without scoring himself. He is poised with the ball in his hands and has the instincts to try to get it to the open man which may lead to a shot or a second pass to score. Think Stephanie Dolson or Kaili MacLaren on the women's side. As the team evolves I'm hoping he can set screens without moving or fouling, and that the passes go to guys on our team.

With regard to both Polley and Diarra, the times I have seen them, they have showed relentless effort, Polley offensively and Diarra on the boards. Whatever their weaknesses at the start of their college careers, I think they earn court time with effort, (I have significant long term hope for Polley).

Carlton I see as a quality big man for us long term, but I think he initially will only get spot opportunities and his role will depend on his results. Because he can score around the basket, I could see Diarra and him on the court together as a 'unit'.

Onuorah(sp) will be on the court when we are trying to play fast on defense and want the shot blocker as the last line of defense. He absolutely won't see the court at the end of games due to his foul shooting issues. I don't think he will play much with another non-scorer like Diarra.

Whaley I have no feel for so any contribution is a positive surprise in my eyes.

Kwinten Williams offers exciting possibilities to make plays, but without playing recently, I find it hard to believe he will be able to pick up team offensive and defensive schemes before conference play. Like Carlton, I see him getting spot opportunities and what he does with those minutes will determine how much time he plays vs watches. In my mind he could be a positive surprise.

Reaction Score
I agree the team will be as good as the play of our 4 guards and Larrier. I think these 5 will play major minutes, (not all on the court together), and this 5 will carry the scoring load. The rest is a guess.

From the 2 times I saw Cobb, I think his impact on offense can be passing and setting big screens for the guards to work off of. I think he can have a significant impact on the offense without scoring himself. He is poised with the ball in his hands and has the instincts to try to get it to the open man which may lead to a shot or a second pass to score. Think Stephanie Dolson or Kaili MacLaren on the women's side. As the team evolves I'm hoping he can set screens without moving or fouling, and that the passes go to guys on our team.

With regard to both Polley and Diarra, the times I have seen them, they have showed relentless effort, Polley offensively and Diarra on the boards. Whatever their weaknesses at the start of their college careers, I think they earn court time with effort, (I have significant long term hope for Polley).

Carlton I see as a quality big man for us long term, but I think he initially will only get spot opportunities and his role will depend on his results. Because he can score around the basket, I could see Diarra and him on the court together as a 'unit'.

Onuorah(sp) will be on the court when we are trying to play fast on defense and want the shot blocker as the last line of defense. He absolutely won't see the court at the end of games due to his foul shooting issues. I don't think he will play much with another non-scorer like Diarra.

Whaley I have no feel for so any contribution is a positive surprise in my eyes.

Kwinten Williams offers exciting possibilities to make plays, but without playing recently, I find it hard to believe he will be able to pick up team offensive and defensive schemes before conference play. Like Carlton, I see him getting spot opportunities and what he does with those minutes will determine how much time he plays vs watches. In my mind he could be a positive surprise.
What he said

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom