F Isiah Whaley

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Adams Gilbert/Vital larrier diarra Onuorah

Reaction Score
Adams, Gilbert, Terry, Mama D, Carlton. Vital first off the bench

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is highly speculative. I don't see any scenario though, where the experienced guys they brought in, Onourah and Anderson, don't see quality minutes. Probably Cobb as well.

Starters
C David Onuorah
PF Diarra
SF Larrier
SG Adams
PG Gilbert

Significant bench minutes
Vital
Anderson
Cobb
Carlton

Riding pine
Whaley
Williams
Polley

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson starts at the beginning of the season. Establish some leadership and maturity on the floor.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
G- Adams
G- Gilbert
G- Vital
F- Larrier
C- Mamadou

Bench- A lot of minutes
Anderson (6th man)
Cobb
Polley

Bench- A few minutes
Carlton
Onuorah

Bench- Pine
Williams
Whaley

Reaction Score
If I had to choose a starting 5 I'd go:
Gilbert, Adams, Larrier, Diarra, Cobb but I have a hard time keeping Vital out of the starting lineup.

Vital, Anderson, Williams, and Carlton will see significant minutes.

Onuorah, Polley, and Whaley playing supporting roles.

Reaction Score
Adams
Gilbert
Larrier
Williams
Cobb

6th - Vital

Anderson, Diarra, Onurah, Carlton, Polley significant minutes, Whaley matures and sneaks into the mix 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Starting 5:
G - Rique
G - Adams
G- Vital
F - Larrier
F - Diarra

Start strong on O, score a bunch of points and establish a fast tempo. I expect we'll be out-rebounded nearly every game, regardless of the starting 5, so I think its important to counterbalance with the most potent offense

Rotating off the bench:
G - Anderson
F - Cobb
F - Whaley
F - Onourah

Rotate in some "enforcers" ("bodies" for many other teams) of the paint, to keep teams off-balance when our firepower isn't max strength. Even this rotation is unlikely to win any rebounding battles, but it'll give us length and disruption down low

Reaction Score
I really hope they start out with the 3 guard lineup, larrier at the 4 and Diarra at the 5. I'm sure rebounding will suffer but we need scorers. This will only work if we get out and run when we can and move the ball on offense. If we stand around like past years and wing it with 2 seconds left on the shot clock we might as well play 2 bigs.

Reaction Score
In any scenario Larrier needs to be big for us, hope he's been pumping up.

pj

Reaction Score
This is highly speculative. I don't see any scenario though, where the experienced guys they brought in, Onourah and Anderson, don't see quality minutes. Probably Cobb as well.

Starters
C David Onuorah
PF Diarra
SF Larrier
SG Adams
PG Gilbert

Significant bench minutes
Vital
Anderson
Cobb
Carlton

Riding pine
Whaley
Williams
Polley

I agree with this, with the exception of Carlton getting significant minutes. Maybe he does, but I would throw Carlton, Whaley, Williams, and Polley in a hat, no idea which one steps up to claim backup PF minutes. I think Onuorah and Cobb take most of the center minutes with a normal lineup, and occasionally we go small with Diarra at center. When we go small, Larrier is PF and 3 guards are on the floor. The small lineup is mainly for closing games with a lead, or against small teams.

I think Diarra probably can't play all the PF minutes plus small-lineup center, so we need someone to step up. That will be whoever among Carlton, Whaley, Williams, and Polley can defend best.

I think we're more likely to go with 3 guards than Polley when Larrier is on the bench. So Polley is more likely to get minutes at PF spelling Diarra than at SF, even though he'll be a SF in 2018-19.

Also, "riding pine" is a little harsh. Early in the season I think everyone gets some minutes before the rotation is shortened to 8-9 in Jan-Feb.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with this, with the exception of Carlton getting significant minutes. Maybe he does, but I would throw Carlton, Whaley, Williams, and Polley in a hat, no idea which one steps up to claim backup PF minutes. I think Onuorah and Cobb take most of the center minutes with a normal lineup, and occasionally we go small with Diarra at center. When we go small, Larrier is PF and 3 guards are on the floor. The small lineup is mainly for closing games with a lead, or against small teams.

I think Diarra probably can't play all the PF minutes plus small-lineup center, so we need someone to step up. That will be whoever among Carlton, Whaley, Williams, and Polley can defend best.

I think we're more likely to go with 3 guards than Polley when Larrier is on the bench. So Polley is more likely to get minutes at PF spelling Diarra than at SF, even though he'll be a SF in 2018-19.

Also, "riding pine" is a little harsh. Early in the season I think everyone gets some minutes before the rotation is shortened to 8-9 in Jan-Feb.

Agreed on how we'll shift from 3 guards to traditional lineup. Didn't mean to be harsh. I simply think that by the time conference play rolls around they will mostly be out of the rotation (barring injuries). I took a guess that Carlton is the most ready of those guys. Could be wrong. Somebody will emerge. Could be any of them.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
PG: Adams
SG; Vital
SF: Larrier
PF: Diarra
C: Onuorah
6: Gilbert
7: Cobb
8: Anderson
9: Polley

Bench: Whaley, Williams, Carlton

Adams: Our best player, and needs to be the play maker with the ball at Point guard, I don't see him adjusting well to playing off ball.

Gilbert: Will play plenty of min, and will be best used keeping Adams fresh, as we saw how Adams looked gassed towards the end of some games.

Vital: Perfect compliment to Adams in the back court. He will guard the other teams most dangerous offensive threat, hit the spot up threes gained off Adams and Larrier's penetration, and make a bunch of important hustle plays that normally go over looked. Also overlooked was his effort on the boards, which will be extremely helpful this year. He's our Giffey lite this year.

Larrier: He better be 110% recovered from his injury, because he's the only pure SF on the roster, and we need him to score A LOT. Hopefully he'll be an elite Robin to Adams Batman.

Diarra: Rebound, protect the rim, play good defense.

Onuorah: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cobb/Anderson/Polley: Don't have the highest expectations for them in year 1. They will all need to find a particular role/skill they can bring to the table in the small amount of minutes they will all be asked to play. Hopefully Anderson can play defense. Polley can rest Larrier when we have a sizable lead, and play some PF somehow, Cobb needs to provide half the interior presence Onuorah needs to provide.

Bench: I think these guys will be riding the pine for the most part this year. Maybe Whaley sees some time at PF.

IF everyone reaches their potential, this team can make the tournament. Nobody in our top 9 can afford an injury this year if we want to achieve anything.

Reaction Score
I've said it again and again and I will here too.

I'm putting my money on Carlton to be the freshman to step up. He's not a world beater, but he's steady, has good fundamentals and comes from a top bball program in the country. Great outlet passer, keeps the ball high on rebounds. Just a little undersized and lacks some athleticism. He has the makings of a great 4 year college player.

Exactly what we've been lacking down low. He has the skill set to allow our guards and wings to play really well.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

I disagree because I feel like we have a lot of tough 00C games early on in the season and will need a shorter rotation for those games. Maybe we will be giving out more fair minutes in the first couple games but by the PK 80 we will need a solid rotation.

Reaction Score
1) JA
2) Gilbert
3) TL
4) Diarra
5) Carlton

Bench
6) Anderson
7) Polley
8) Onourah
9) CV

No expectations for other yet

Reaction Score
Think we will still go small at first with 1. AG, 2. JA, 3. CV, 4. TL and 5. MD. for offense. We have really sucked on that side of the ball the past year. I think we will see Andersen and Polley off the bench for the 1-3 positions and mix of Onourah, Cobb and Williams at the 4-5. Not sure Whaley or Carlton will play alot but can't tell until the season starts.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
PG-Gilbert
SG-Adams
SF-Larrier
PF-Diarra
C-Onuorah

Rotational players:
G-Anderson
G-Vital
C-Carlton

Rest of the second team:
SF/PF-Polley
C-Cobb

Bench:
PF-Whaley
SF/PF-Williams

Reaction Score
I don't know who will start, but this is the distribution of minutes I would expect:

PG: Gilbert (30), Adams (10)
G: Adams (25), Anderson (10), Vital (5)
W: Vital (25), Larrier (10), Polley (5)
F: Larrier (25), Diarra (15)
C: Cobb (15), Carlton (10), Diarra (10), Onuorah (5)

Whaley and Williams I don't expect to see the floor, though Williams will throw down some highlight-reel dunks in practice.

Even that distribution of minutes looks ugly on the offensive side of the ball. What F/C (beyond Larrier) can we expect to be even a passable presence at that end of the floor?

Edit: Forgot Onuorah. General comment: Everyone up to Larrier I feel pretty confident about their minutes. Diarra, Cobb, Carlton, Onuorah, Whaley, and Williams could be anywhere from decent AAC bigs to Rakim Lubin or worse, I really have no idea.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't know who will start, but this is the distribution of minutes I would expect:

C: Cobb (15), Carlton (15), Diarra (10)

Whaley and Williams I don't expect to see the floor, though Williams will throw down some highlight-reel dunks in practice.

Even that distribution of minutes looks ugly on the offensive side of the ball. What F/C (beyond Larrier) can we expect to be even a passable presence at that end of the floor?

No Onourah?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I really hope they start out with the 3 guard lineup, larrier at the 4 and Diarra at the 5. I'm sure rebounding will suffer but we need scorers. This will only work if we get out and run when we can and move the ball on offense. If we stand around like past years and wing it with 2 seconds left on the shot clock we might as well play 2 bigs.

That's my belief, that's the best lineup until I see otherwise.

But if we teach and execute team rebounding, that can work in the college game.

And Adams and Vital are/can be good rebounders at the guard spot.

Reaction Score

C: Cobb (15), Carlton (10), Diarra (10), Onuorah (5)

Edit: Forgot Onuorah. General comment: Everyone up to Larrier I feel pretty confident about their minutes. Diarra, Cobb, Carlton, Onuorah, Whaley, and Williams could be anywhere from decent AAC bigs to Rakim Lubin or worse, I really have no idea.

Anderson will most likely play more than 10 min/ game. Highly doubt Adams and larrier play 35 min/ game as there should be depth available to give them rest. You don't want to wear down your 2 best players. There will be some games they play those minutes but they will be far and few between unless there mass injuries again

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom