Guess t rotation 2017-2018 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Guess t rotation 2017-2018

Reaction Score
Vital: . . . He's our Giffey lite this year.
Strongly disagree on that.
Last year he was better and more valuable than Giffey was his frosh year, and I expect his numbers to improve this year. Relative to Giffey, he had about the same boards per minute, more assists, and more steals and a better 3%.
To be sure, I love Giffey - one of my favorites. But Vital brings the MOJO. Love the kid.

Reaction Score
Start of the season:
PG: Gilbert
SG: Adams
SF: Larrier
PF: Mama
C: Cobb/Onourah

Vital and Anderson get lots of minutes in place of the Gilbert/Adams/Larrier.

How come people are putting Adams as our starting PG and having Gilbert coming off the bench? I'm curious to read the reasoning behind it.

From what I read and all the hype surrounding him was that he's a great ball handler and a good pure PG who can also score. Something Adams is not as he is a combo guard. Adams did a great job of it last year and I'm confident he can do even better this year however, if Gilbert is healthy then i don't see any circumstance in which he isn't the starting PG. Jalen will still be "The Guy" but I think he'll play a lot more off ball this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt Ollie is going to start three guards. I seriously doubt we will have three guards on the floor on a consistent basis. I know people have been stating that on here but I don't think it will happen. It really doesn't matter who starts, it matters who plays minutes. I think Ollie will start a more "traditional" lineup. Adams, Vital, Larrier, Diarra, Onuorah (assuming health for Larrier of course). Gilbert first off the bench and maybe more minutes than Vital. I'm sure we will have three guards on the floor at times, but I don't believe it will be a consistent strategy. IF Larrier isn't good to go on day one, I could see Vital at the three and then I would expect to be wrong about this. If Larrier is healthy and can play minutes we will have a more "traditional" lineup IMHO.

I agree with this except the concept that Vital would start over Gilbert. I see little chance of that. Vital will be a critical player, and I suspect the first player off the bench, at which point Adams will shift to PG. But it's entirely possible that Gilbert is the best player on this team.

Before we loaded up on forwards, I thought we'd be forced to go 3 guard a lot. We will at times, but I don't think it's necessary given the strong depth we have up front. These guys are unknowns, but I think several of them will contribute.

Reaction Score
I hope Ollie will find a way to get his best players on the court at the same time, meaning that vital and gilbert could share the court a lot. I am dating myself, but I think of the 4 guard set used by Villanova 10 plus years ago with foye, nardi, allen ray and kyle lowry. Wright was forced try something different due to injuries in the front court and it obviously worked for them. They were one questionable traveling call on ray from getting to the finals that year. I would like to see Uconn pick up the tempo and apply more pressure on the defensive end, especially against some of the weaker teams in the AAC. It is easy and fair to complain about some of the guys that we have missed on but in reality we are able to recruit at a much higher level than our AAC brethren.

Reaction Score
Start of the season:

How come people are putting Adams as our starting PG and having Gilbert coming off the bench? I'm curious to read the reasoning behind it.

From what I read and all the hype surrounding him was that he's a great ball handler and a good pure PG who can also score. Something Adams is not as he is a combo guard. Adams did a great job of it last year and I'm confident he can do even better this year however, if Gilbert is healthy then i don't see any circumstance in which he isn't the starting PG. Jalen will still be "The Guy" but I think he'll play a lot more off ball this year.
Because the entire offense is controlled by that position. Our best teams have had a clear leader at the point. Normally an upperclassmen
Even with the great players JC had we never went to a FF until Khalid
followed by Talik,Marcus, AJ, KW, Bazz,nobody, JA . Why would you give the team to Gilbert. That is a move guaranteed to destroy the team.
The only successful freshman leader was Khalid probably the most natural born leader ever. Even if Gilbert had the leadership of KAL which I doubt.
Adams is not Ricky Moore. Ricky had no NBA delusions . Adams position at the next level is PG. So you set up a two headed monster
Everytime JC did that it was a disaster.
If Adams doesn't get drafted it's over for KO.Frankly Gilbert playing PG hurt last year team at two positions.
Adams could beat his man , find the open man and was the best passer on the team. He is out of position at the 2. He could also keep the defense honest with his shooting
That doesn't mean Gilbert won't log minutes there and it will be his team in the future ,but he has an apprenticeship to serve first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whaley is IMHO, a stud in progress. In a 40 game season he led his highly regarded prep squad with 22p/gm including 38 at
PSA. Everyone who coached, played wjth or against, or watched him over time raves about his skills, attitude
and potential.
A true under the radar gem.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
1) JA
2) Gilbert
3) TL
4) Diarra
5) Carlton

Bench
6) Anderson
7) Polley
8) Onourah
9) CV

No expectations for other yet

Polley ahead of Vital in the rotation...

Reaction Score
I don't get the "Adams is a 2 guards talk.

He is a scoring PG. The game looks different than when we were growing up, even Chris Paul is a scorer.

Kid led the conference in assists. 15th in the nation, or something like it. That's not a shooting guard.

AG and him will split ballhandling/PG duties.

Reaction Score
Whaley is IMHO, a stud in progress. In a 40 game season he led his highly regarded prep squad with 22p/gm including 38 at
PSA. Everyone who coached, played wjth or against, or watched him over time raves about his skills, attitude
and potential.
A true under the radar gem.
This would be great news in the frontcourt. It's going to be an interesting rotation to work out.

Reaction Score
Start of the season:

I'm one of those people putting Adams as the starting PG. He proved he can do it. He averaged 6 assists last year. Gilbert if healthy should be an excellent player next year. I think you will see stretches of Adams, Vital and Gilbert on the floor at the same time but not as a strategy for big chunks of minutes. Vital has intangibles and is strong. He can score, his handle improved as the season went on as did his defense. At this point, without seeing early practice news or early games with Gilbert and Adams on the floor together I think Vital, as I have said before, compliments Adams and Gilbert better than they compliment each other. Adams is going to want the ball in his hands and if I'm Ollie I let him run the team at least early on. If Gilbert shows that he can run the team effectively with Adams on the floor with him I could certainly see that changing as the season goes on. I'm not saying we won't see Adams and Gilbert on the floor together a lot with Vital on the bench, I'm saying I don't think we will see that early on until the rotation gets sorted out and Gilbert proves that he is healthy and can be effective running the team with Adams playing off the ball.

Reaction Score
If Adams doesn't get drafted it's over for KO.

Buried in all that, this nugget I strongly agree with.

What's killing KO on the recruiting trail isn't the conference or the mediocre record over the last 3 years. It's the fact that in 5 years he's gotten 1 guy drafted in the 1st round (pick #24 at that) and he's on his 3rd team in 3 years. Kids are skeptical of KO's ability to put them in a position to succeed at the next level. If Adams (or maybe Larrier) don't get there, those are the final nails in the coffin.

Reaction Score
Buried in all that, this nugget I strongly agree with.

What's killing KO on the recruiting trail isn't the conference or the mediocre record over the last 3 years. It's the fact that in 5 years he's gotten 1 guy drafted in the 1st round (pick #24 at that) and he's on his 3rd team in 3 years. Kids are skeptical of KO's ability to put them in a position to succeed at the next level. If Adams (or maybe Larrier) don't get there, those are the final nails in the coffin.
I think we all seize on one thing we think recruits get stuck on when picking a school. But ultimately, other than maybe the one and done crowd, I think there are numerous factors that go into it and sometimes basketball may be only one of many factors. As a coach I'm sure saying to recruits that you can help them play in the NBA is a factor, but not the only factor. Jay Wright, for example, has gotten what...6 or 7..players into the NBA in 16 years at Villanova. I think there is more to it than any one thing including that.

Reaction Score
I don't get the "Adams is a 2 guards talk.

He is a scoring PG. The game looks different than when we were growing up, even Chris Paul is a scorer.

Kid led the conference in assists. 15th in the nation, or something like it. That's not a shooting guard.

AG and him will split ballhandling/PG duties.
And Let's not forget Adams wasn't assisting to BG, Rip, or Emeka

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom