Guess our next recruit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guess our next recruit

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith is a 6'2" forward from TX currently ranked as the #4 recruit in the 2018 class by Hoopgurlz. She lists UConn as one of the schools she is interested in.

Oops. Missed that post. scrolled right over it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What I'm hearing is that CWill is the only 2018 guard we are still pursuing. That means that HSG is out. I've heard that HSG's effort is inconsistent and her mother is too involved. Geno really likes and wants CW.

Which bigs in 2018 are we still pursuing? I think Nelson-Ododa and Smith. I'd be thrilled with either.

We are involved with a handful of 2019 kids, with Brunelle being the major target. Others of interest include Boston and Peoples. There may be a few others.

Reaction Score
I agree that the next verbal could be from the 2019 class. I would add Samantha Brunelle to your list.

I can't get a good read on Brunelle.........based on her attitude/stated goals UConn would be a no brainer but she has shown equal interest in a few other schools.........UConn is going to be loaded everywhere but at the four in two more years so she has plenty of time to wait if she isn't sure.......if Aliyah Boston wants UConn she would probably want to lock up that commitment sooner then later

Reaction Score
I can't get a good read on Brunelle....based on her attitude/stated goals UConn would be a no brainer but she has shown equal interest in a few other schools....UConn is going to be loaded everywhere but at the four in two more years so she has plenty of time to wait if she isn't sure..if Aliyah Boston wants UConn she would probably want to lock up that commitment sooner then later
Brunelle does have a scholarship offer from Uconn. It has been reported that Uconn is one of her favorites; others have reported Uconn is a strong favorite. We shall see.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
she doesn't like cold weather......

She actually first tweeted that she "hates cold weather and snow"... then later deleted the tweet.

Take that for what it's worth.

Smith could still end up at UConn.. why you ask? Because recruiting makes absolutely no sense.

I think UConn's next commitment is Christyn Williams.. I'm all but ready to write UConn next to her name.

Reaction Score
She actually first tweeted that she "hates cold weather and snow"... then later deleted the tweet.

Take that for what it's worth.

Smith could still end up at UConn.. why you ask? Because recruiting makes absolutely no sense.

I think UConn's next commitment is Christyn Williams.. I'm all but ready to write UConn next to her name.

I remember seeing that on her twitter page and thinking that if cold weather is going to bother her imagine what four years of Geno will do.......she's a really gifted player but I suspect she won't be moving any farther north then South Carolina at most.............everybody says that CW is a UConn lock......I'm not certain that this is true.......she used to be all UConn all the time but now I see she has widened her horizons..........I suspect it will come down to UConn or one of the Texas schools

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I remember seeing that on her twitter page and thinking that if cold weather is going to bother her imagine what four years of Geno will do..she's a really gifted player but I suspect she won't be moving any farther north then South Carolina at most...everybody says that CW is a UConn lock.I'm not certain that this is true..she used to be all UConn all the time but now I see she has widened her horizons.....I suspect it will come down to UConn or one of the Texas schools

I wouldn't call her a lock.. but I definitely think she's a UConn lean. The only thing that's probably holding her back right now is the amount of talent that UConn will have at the guard/wing positions. I don't see Williams backing away from competition but UConn will be DEEP in guards for the next few years.

Reaction Score
Any update here? Who will our next recruit be and when will we land her?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Typically when will we start landing the next round of verbsls? Is there a certain signing period coming up?
Any guess on our next recruit?

2018 recruiting should be interesting. Are there players out there who want very much to play for UCONN and not fear the apparent glut of competition at the guard and wing positions? Williams would be great, but is she confident enough to compete for playing time or a starter position? If UCONN managed another talented big to team with Charli Collier, I would be sooooooo seriously "dancin' in the street" happy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Williams decides in the fall I wouldn't be surprised if a guard like Honesty Scott-Grayson verbals by the end of summer.

Honesty is ranked #5 by Prospects Nation and #11 by ESPN

She did not make the top 15 in the Washington DC area..... maybe Geno knows something (by not recruiting her)

2016-17 Winter All-Met

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn is in a very nice position right now with both returning players as well as incoming recruits and commits. Geno can afford to be picky.

With 4 talented G/W's in next year's class, I have to believe that Geno will gladly take CW in 2018, but if she decided to go elsewhere, UConn would be just fine. With Charli Collier already committed, I do believe that Geno would consider another true 4/5, but it would likely be a really good player, i.e. Ono, Smith, etc.

With UConn working hard on Brunelle for the class of 2019, if she were to commit, UConn would be in really good shape through 2021, even if they don't get anyone else, although I expect there will be other signings in 2018 and/or 2019.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Random points to some questions/points raised in this thread.

- Next signing period. We in the middle of one., the "Regular Period", which runs from April 12, 2017 to May 17, 2017.

- Christyn Williams is down to 5 schools: Baylor, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Tennessee, and UCLA. Williams had previously considered Arkansas and South Carolina as members of a list of seven. I saw a post somewhere that she would agree to talk to Mike Neighbors, new head honcho at Arkansas, but really wanted to get out of state to attend college.
Glad to see Irish on the finals list, but also know that she's yet to make any visit that I'm aware of to South Bend.
I'm kind of putting Williams into the Walker/Westbrook category...if she wants to come, she'll let folks know (and given our track record with those two, I'm not optimistic :confused: )

- UConn's 2017 intake was so guard/wing oriented that -- save for Williams -- still see a focus on forward/bigs (besides Collier, particularly Nelson-Ododa) and maybe another point guard (Nixon in 2018 or Ms. Peoples in 2019?).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Na'Lyssa Smith at the Baylor Big 12 Championship celebration.

C5jOMzUU4AATIlq.jpg:large

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Smith with her parents at the Baylor Big 12 championship celebration.

C5jOMzUVAAAGOpF.jpg:large

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn is in a very nice position right now with both returning players as well as incoming recruits and commits. Geno can afford to be picky.

With 4 talented G/W's in next year's class, I have to believe that Geno will gladly take CW in 2018, but if she decided to go elsewhere, UConn would be just fine. With Charli Collier already committed, I do believe that Geno would consider another true 4/5, but it would likely be a really good player, i.e. Ono, Smith, etc.
With UConn working hard on Brunelle for the class of 2019, if she were to commit, UConn would be in really good shape through 2021, even if they don't get anyone else, although I expect there will be other signings in 2018 and/or 2019.
If UCONN only signs Brunelle the roster for '19-'20 season will be 10 (C. Collier, Walker, Dangerfield, Brunelle, Gordon, Coombs, Camara, Irwin, AEH, & Bent) and could be as few as 9 if Camara departs.
The next season though '20-'21 would be only 6.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If UConn only signs Brunelle the roster for '19-'20 season will be 10 (C. Collier, Walker, Dangerfield, Brunelle, Gordon, Coombs, Camara, Irwin, AEH, & Bent) and could be as few as 9 if Camara departs.
The next season though '20-'21 would be only 6.
I think Geno could win a championship with that roster, although I do agree that a few additional players would round out the team very nicely.

Reaction Score
I think Geno could win a championship with that roster, although I do agree that a few additional players would round out the team very nicely.
Solid, true point guard would be my preference. Offense would be nice, but with so many guard oriented competitors, would love someone in the Jefferson mode who could come in and shut down anyone.

Reaction Score
How about Mo'Ne Davis? Is she class of 2018, or 2019?

Davis is nowhere near talented enough to garner an offer from UConn. Most feel that she is a lower level Div 1 recruit at best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom