Griner Play | The Boneyard

Griner Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The second time Griner threw Stef down, the ref blew the whistle and waved her hands in a safe sign. Was she saying there was no foul or was she waving off the basket? I don't remember either team calling time out so why was play stopped? Did they intend to call another intentional foul on Griner and then change their minds when they realized she would be ejected? I have not heard anything about this unless I am the only one to notice. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Reaction Score
The second time Griner threw Stef down, the ref blew the whistle and waved her hands in a safe sign. Was she saying there was no foul or was she waving off the basket? I don't remember either team calling time out so why was play stopped? Did they intend to call another intentional foul on Griner and then change their minds when they realized she would be ejected? I have not heard anything about this unless I am the only one to notice. Can anyone clarify this for me?

I just finished watching ESPN's video of the game which highlights the two "throwdowns". I do not like to label players, but if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it's a duck! Griner played dirty last night! There was no excuse for the first let alone the second obvious throwdown. I thought Griner was passed all that from her incident a few years back. I was becoming a fan of hers until last night.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Only the official can clarify. The whistle was blown and timeout called for no apparent reason. The shot was taken and missed, there was a rebound and Griner threw Stef to the floor and the whistle blew and timeout called. It was almost as if the official was going to call a foul but changed her mind.

I think it was Maj Forsberg and as Jim Fuller tweeted during the game last night: "Maj Forsberg has no business officiating in a game of this magnitude" Jim tweeted that before the play in question.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem labeling a player if the label fits. In Griner's case "punk" seems to fit just fine. Not only the rough play, after all she didn't throw a punch, but the taunting of the fans after the game dropped her another notch in my eyes.

[mod edit non-essential discussion removed]

Reaction Score
Only the official can clarify. The whistle was blown and timeout called for no apparent reason.

There were abt 13 mins left and I think there had been no stoppage of play for the under 16 timeout. When it gets too far past that point, the officials will call a timeout after a made basket. I believe that's what happened here.

Reaction Score
I have never seen that. I have seen the under 12 come arond 9:00 and don't remember them stopping a game for that reason. I could be wrong.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There were abt 13 mins left and I think there had been no stoppage of play for the under 16 timeout. When it gets too far past that point, the officials will call a timeout after a made basket. I believe that's what happened here.

No, the Griner flagrant foul occurred with 15+ minutes left and led to the under-16 timeout.

On the second incident (with 12+ minutes left) the ref just blew the whistle and looked like she was either ready to make a call or just wanted to separate the two. No explanation given to the viewers maybe because no explanation given by the ref. The teams came back on the court, play ensued and the under 12 timeout was called at the next stoppage.

Reaction Score
I just finished watching ESPN's video of the game which highlights the two "throwdowns". I do not like to label players, but if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it's a duck! Griner played dirty last night! There was no excuse for the first let alone the second obvious throwdown. I thought Griner was passed all that from her incident a few years back. I was becoming a fan of hers until last night.
I think you're showing your bias and maybe I'm showing mine but there was a lot of grabbing and physical play under the basket last night. It wasn't like Dolson was an innocent bystander in the first incident. Griner was grabbed, pushed and hacked plenty last night but she's just so strong and athletic. Dolson, on the other hand, hit the floor several times. I believe there was a timeout for the second "incident" because it was the under 8:00 timeout.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I honestly don't remember exactly - but since I wasn't emotionally involved - I thought at the time I knew why the whistle. Just don't remember now.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I honestly don't remember exactly - but since I wasn't emotionally involved - I thought at the time I knew why the whistle. Just don't remember now.

I re-watched the play hoping I'd see the reason and didn't, other than the possible explanations I offered above.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I just finished watching ESPN's video of the game which highlights the two "throwdowns". I do not like to label players... I thought Griner was passed all that from her incident a few years back. I was becoming a fan of hers until last night.

As was I. I understand that it is a physical game especially in the paint, but clearly to my eyes a line has to be drawn somewhere to separate physical play from dangerous play, and punishment should be leveled accordingly for those who step over the line

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I re-watched the play hoping I'd see the reason and didn't, other than the possible explanations I offered above.

The box score shows a Baylor timeout at 12:13. That's the only other explanation I can think of.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Can someone tell me the time of the second takedown? I would like to watch it again.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The box score shows a Baylor timeout at 12:13. That's the only other explanation I can think of.

No team had possession when the whistle blew so there was no opportunity for Baylor to call a timeout. The TO was given to Baylor but I didn't see Mulkey call one and she couldn't have anyway without possession of the ball. Maybe after the whistle blew Kim decided she wanted a TO to calm things down, but that doesn't explain the whistle. It'll remain a mystery.

Reaction Score
No team had possession when the whistle blew so there was no opportunity for Baylor to call a timeout.

I thought Baylor had just scored before that? Because I remember being worried at first that Baylor had just scored AND that we had off-ball foul on Dolson.

Reaction Score
Mulkey is standing right near the official and looks to be saying something as the ball is going through the hoop. It's entirely possible she was asking for a timeout.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought Baylor had just scored before that? Because I remember being worried at first that Baylor had just scored AND that we had off-ball foul on Dolson.

You're right, it was after a score. I thought it was missed shot. Maybe Kim did call a timeout, it didn't look like she did but who knows.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think you're showing your bias and maybe I'm showing mine but there was a lot of grabbing and physical play under the basket last night. It wasn't like Dolson was an innocent bystander in the first incident. Griner was grabbed, pushed and hacked plenty last night but she's just so strong and athletic. Dolson, on the other hand, hit the floor several times. I believe there was a timeout for the second "incident" because it was the under 8:00 timeout.
Again, physical play, body checks in the post and arm bars are all part of the game. The at risk plays Griner was creating are not and they are potentially dangerous.

Reaction Score
Shot was missed, whistle was blown, it was not a TV timeout with 12 minutes plus to play, and no one was charged a timeout.ANNOUNCERS COULD NOT BELIEVE a foul was not called.????????

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This isnt the first time for Griner. The refs were right infront of me and talked to her about taking it easy. If its me the first throw down is a T the second shes gone. There is no room in the womens game for such actions. We dont need girls getting hurt. These actions are not good for the WOmens game.

Reaction Score
THERE is an honest answer. The way I saw it on the replay it could have been called an off-ball foul on Dolson. She used her left arm to hold Griner away from the basket. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been right to make that call at that time in the game. The refs should allow them to tussle some. I think too many people, including Doris Burke, were and are making way too much of this. Dolson held, Griner pushed back, Dolson lost her balance. Simple as that. It was no throw down.

Reaction Score
Tony, you are talking about the media darling queen brittany who along with schyler have protected status. Can't eject them or foul them out. That is why the whistle was blown without a foul called which would/should have been BG's second flagrant. For once the refs blew the whistle for a justifiable reason and a clear foul before they realized the "queen" would have to be ejected. Just can't have that now, can we? The sad part is I think baylor wins without the WWE takedowns. Risking major injury to an opposing player just to win a game has no place in the game.

Good lord, there must be much hand wringing at ESPN with their royal court leaving this year! Whatever will they do without bg and sd to drool over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom