Great Geno Show | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Great Geno Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think that is exactly what was going on in this clip and in the last Geno Show.

One change I have noticed over the years is that the media seems to be allowed more access to the kids. Kids want to see what they said in the media and that means they are likely reading of these comments. It can be hard to take as a late teen or new 20 something. Geno has always tended to do things that take the heat of the team and puts it square on his shoulders.
I was also thinking about that as a possibility. Sometimes, I think he says relatively outlandish, or at least provocative, things as a way of shifting focus on to him. He's in his late 50s, his legacy is golden, he makes a seven-figure salary, he's used to it, etc....why not deflect any negative energy around th eprogram onto himself?

FWIW, and it remains to be seen just how much it is worth, the girls certainly seemed united and happy against PC, whereas they pretty much just went through the motions against C of C.

Reaction Score
This is probably the most disturbing thread I have read here. I challenge those who are so negative about the show to go watch it again. I've watched it twice as a result of comments here and from my perspective Geno was not "whining" or defensive of his coaching decisions. Instead, to my eyes, he was stating facts and taking responsibility for his decisions. More than once he states "but that's basketball" when an apparent non-call on ND was pointed out...with the intent as Ice said that a team has to overcome inequalities at times and find a way to win. His show was informative and up front. Geno has done a wonderful job viz-a-viz his team of handling the fan/media response to a UConn loss. I was very impressed at the warm-ups before the Providence game at how loose and happy the team felt. They seemed to truly enjoy being out there together. For me that fact that they didn't come out on a mission of atonement or down on themselves reflects on the coaching staff. We are very fortunate to have Geno and his staff.
And I like Meghan.... I enjoy her interaction with Geno. I understand where some criticism of the live broadcasts comes from, but I think she shines when she's with Eric. What troubles me is that some of the comments here cross the line for me into being personal slams that detract substantially from what I appreciate from the quality of BY threads.

Reaction Score
This is probably the most disturbing thread I have read here. I challenge those who are so negative about the show to go watch it again. I've watched it twice as a result of comments here and from my perspective Geno was not "whining" or defensive of his coaching decisions. Instead, to my eyes, he was stating facts and taking responsibility for his decisions. More than once he states "but that's basketball" when an apparent non-call on ND was pointed out...with the intent as Ice said that a team has to overcome inequalities at times and find a way to win. His show was informative and up front. Geno has done a wonderful job viz-a-viz his team of handling the fan/media response to a UConn loss. I was very impressed at the warm-ups before the Providence game at how loose and happy the team felt. They seemed to truly enjoy being out there together. For me that fact that they didn't come out on a mission of atonement or down on themselves reflects on the coaching staff. We are very fortunate to have Geno and his staff.
And I like Meghan.... I enjoy her interaction with Geno. I understand where some criticism of the live broadcasts comes from, but I think she shines when she's with Eric. What troubles me is that some of the comments here cross the line for me into being personal slams that detract substantially from what I appreciate from the quality of BY threads.
Props to you, I wish I could have voiced my feelings as well. I ofter wonder when we all see and listen to the Geno show, why do we
hear different things or why when we read the same article in the papers, someone comes up with a negative spin. Why

Reaction Score
I think it's debatable that he doesn't show any "HHC" after defeats, but even if he didn't, yes, I'd be OK with a coach whose worst trait is that he really, really hates to lose.

He's defended his kids after the ND loss rather than throwing them under a bus. He makes a point of scheduling games where UConn has the greatest chance of losing. He wrote a six-figure check to the WCBA without flinching when it seemed like they wouldn't have funding to start training WCBB coaches on a lot of critical soft skills pertaining to coaching young women. He made a point of recruiting Brittney Griner to try out for Team USA even though a) he didn't need her for the Olympic team to be successful, and b) this experience could only help BG become a better player. So he may react emotionally after a loss, but he's been extremely classy in many, many other ways, and has always done right by the game, not just his program.
Sound like doing penance after having sinned.

Reaction Score
This is probably the most disturbing thread I have read here. I challenge those who are so negative about the show to go watch it again. I've watched it twice as a result of comments here and from my perspective Geno was not "whining" or defensive of his coaching decisions. Instead, to my eyes, he was stating facts and taking responsibility for his decisions.
It does not matter how many times someone watches the show they will see what their personal filters allow them to see and usually nothing more.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Props to you, I wish I could have voiced my feelings as well. I ofter wonder when we all see and listen to the Geno show, why do we
hear different things or why when we read the same article in the papers, someone comes up with a negative spin. Why

It's a free country. Those who don't like Geno are free to become Rutgers fans and listen to CViv; or Oklahoma fans and listen to Sherri; or Notre Dame fans etc..

The UConn women's Basketball program does NOT exist to entertain its fans. It exists to provide an extraordinary opportunity for a basketball team to participate in college athletics -- just like the soccer and hockey and swimming teams do.

When Geno came to UConn, 200 fans at a game was a "good crowd." He had no dream of creating the monster that has evolved. Nor did the University expect what has come to pass. Geno built a profitable and entertaining "show" that has entertained millions of fans -- some of whom expect 12 college kids to put on a show as perfect every night as the Rockettes.This is an unrealistic expectation.

Geno now lives an extraordinarily complex life. He has adapted amazingly well.
But in his heart, I am sure there are many days when he wishes he could resign from all responsibilities to "manage the monster" and just be a coach --- teaching basketball skills to a group of kids who simply want to be the best players they can be.

I think we saw this "just be a coach" side of Geno on his show Tuesday night. He was speaking with his core coaching voice. Standing up for his kids. Insulating them from all the noise and extraneous burdens of "the monster."

I think we should all give Geno some slack when he fails to meet our every wish and expectation. We don't need to add more complexity and burdens to his (or the kids) very complex lives.

I vote for all UConn fans to give Geno more room to "just be a coach"; and give his players more room to "just be college kids who enjoy playing basketball."

I think that "our kids" and "our coach" both had fun at the Providence game.
I am committed to helping them have more fun at more games for the rest of this year. And next year. And every year.

Peace.

OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member