Great Comedies | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Great Comedies

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Have any Wes Anderson movies been mentioned? He has a unique brand of humor. Often more amusing than hilarious. Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel are my favorites of his work.

Reaction Score
Have any Wes Anderson movies been mentioned? He has a unique brand of humor. Often more amusing than hilarious. Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel are my favorites of his work.

I've become something of a Wes Anderson fan over time. Moonrise Kingdom really did it for me, it is terrific. One of those rare movies where I watch through the closing credits, just love the kid conducting the music at that point.

Reaction Score

"You hit Becca's foot with your d!c&"?

"Yeah. I know . . ."

This is kind of funny but...not even really. i guess my first impression of the flick was, "who is this fat 23 year old nobody and how connected is he to land a movie gig like this?" Can't touch Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

Reaction Score
I've become something of a Wes Anderson fan over time. Moonrise Kingdom really did it for me, it is terrific. One of those rare movies where I watch through the closing credits, just love the kid conducting the music at that point.
Rushmore was better than both of those & more comedic, but I wouldn't call that a comedy either. Bottlrocket was probably the closest to a true comedy - IMO. More quirky than funny but I really like (or at least appreciate) all his movies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I like Moonrise Kingdom, but Wes Anderson over-directs movies for my taste in the pursuit of the absurdist chuckle. A great comedy doesn't need to keep telling you how clever and funny it is.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I like Moonrise Kingdom, but Wes Anderson over-directs movies for my taste in the pursuit of the absurdist chuckle. A great comedy doesn't need to keep telling you how clever and funny it is.

I'm not too familiar with Wes Anderson (but I will look for these fliks when I get a moment), but this concept contributes to my problem with the non-Clerks View Askew movies. Way too much dialogue chasing the minimal laugh.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think we can chalk this up to individual mindset. I don't think his movies keeps telling me how clever they are. They are clever. And chockful of stuff you don't get elsewhere. That why they hold up to (or demand) multiple viewings. A new Anderson movie is always a treat, hasn't had a clunker yet.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Don't know if it was already mentioned, "Rat Race" was a pretty funny zany flick from the early 2000s w/ an ensemble cast.

Reaction Score
I think we can chalk this up to individual mindset. I don't think his movies keeps telling me how clever they are. They are clever. And chockful of stuff you don't get elsewhere. That why they hold up to (or demand) multiple viewings. A new Anderson movie is always a treat, hasn't had a clunker yet.

I concur with the above, up to the last sentence. I am at the point where I eagerly await each Wes Anderson film. The only Anderson movies that I have not seen are his first one, Bottle Rocket, and Isle of Dogs, both of which I currently have on my list of movies to see.

I will say that the first Wes Anderson movie I saw was The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, probably a couple of years after it was released in 2004. I did not know who Anderson was at the time, and at the time I thought that film was a bit of a colorful slow motion mess. I have not seen it since, but one of these days I will have to give it a second chance, now that I am used to and loving the quirks of Wes Anderson.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I will say that the first Wes Anderson movie I saw was The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, probably a couple of years after it was released in 2004. I did not know who Anderson was at the time, and at the time I thought that film was a bit of a colorful slow motion mess. I have not seen it since, but one of these days I will have to give it a second chance, now that I am used to and loving the quirks of Wes Anderson.

By all means give it another try. That was my first Anderson movie and I was underwhelmed as well. When I watched it again after seeing others I enjoyed it so much more.

Reaction Score
Is Juno considered a comedy for this discussion?
Great movie. I don't know if I'd consider it a true comedy film, but it's definitely funny. Some of the funniest movies aren't "comedies"

To step out of the genre, I'll also add the first Pirate's of the Caribbean.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is Juno considered a comedy for this discussion?
If you consider funny the uncomfortable tension between Mrs. 8893 and me that inevitably ensues when she goes into her usual tirade about what a jerk she thinks Jason Bateman is and I don't act sufficiently disgusted with his conduct for her to believe that I truly disapprove of him.

Reaction Score
If you consider funny the uncomfortable tension between Mrs. 8893 and me that inevitably ensues when she goes into her usual tirade about what a jerk she thinks Jason Bateman is and I don't act sufficiently disgusted with his conduct for her to believe that I truly disapprove of him.

God forbid you hint that Jennifer Garner’s character might be just a bit overbearing . . .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
God forbid you hint that Jennifer Garner’s character might be just a bit overbearing . . .
Exactly. Her character almost made me sympathetic to Ben Affleck in their divorce.

Reaction Score
I would. Juno is an excellent movie. Terrific role for Michael Cera, and it's never a bad thing to have JK Simmons in the cast.

Simmons was outstanding. The scene where Juno tells him she’s pregnant is one of my favorite scenes in any movie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Simmons was outstanding. The scene where Juno tells him she’s pregnant is one of my favorite scenes in any movie.
Janney is great, too.

I love Simmons, but I fear that the unceasing Farmer's commercials are going to make me sour on him because of overexposure.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Don't know if it was already mentioned, "Rat Race" was a pretty funny zany flick from the early 2000s w/ an ensemble cast.
Never knew what "prairie doggin'" was.

Reaction Score
White Men Can't Jump.

So many good comedies but this was funny throughout.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom