Great Comedies | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Great Comedies

Reaction Score
That was fairly amusing. Rashida Jones being in it was a big plus for me. To me Segel has basically had the same persona in everything I've seen him in. I like his character from HIMYM, but it gets a bit old eventually. I didn't see "The End of the Tour" where he probably did show some acting range. "The Five-Year Engagement" was decent too, but another big assist to his female costar in that one (Emily Blunt).

vPB.gif

Reaction Score
I wanted to like Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but I just couldn't do it. Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis, Paul Rudd, Jason Segel (a bit of a one trick pony but usually likable), good cast. I didn't find it funny. I guess full frontal male nudity is supposed to be hilarious?

I know a handful of people who really hate it. I still laugh out loud whenever I see it, even when censored for TV.

Reaction Score
Maybe my funny bone is busted. I don't find most "comedies" these days to be very funny.
did you like Superbad? I think it's my favorite comedy of all time

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
did you like Superbad? I think it's my favorite comedy of all time

No, another one I wanted to like but didn't.

The Hangover is another that is supposed to be really funny but didn't do much for me (the original, I didn't bother with any of the sequels).

I'm trying to remember the last comedy that really had me laughing. I cracked up pretty good the first time I saw Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates but it didn't hold up very well on second viewing. Daddy's Home 2 I found fairly amusing if not hilarious. I guess I just don't watch very many comedies.

I think most of my favorites have been mentioned somewhere in this thread. I like some "dumb" comedies but they have to hit the right notes for me. Stuff like Zoolander and Semi-Pro. Old School, Wedding Crashers. Now that I think about it I'm definitely more into the Frat Pack than whatever came next (the Stoner Pack?). There aren't that many sci fi comedies but those usually work for me--Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Mars Attacks!, Galaxy Quest. Early era spoofs like Top Secret and Airplane. Some Stephen Chow stuff, especially Kung Hustle but also Shaolin Soccer.

Reaction Score
No, another one I wanted to like but didn't.

The Hangover is another that is supposed to be really funny but didn't do much for me (the original, I didn't bother with any of the sequels).

I'm trying to remember the last comedy that really had me laughing. I cracked up pretty good the first time I saw Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates but it didn't hold up very well on second viewing. Daddy's Home 2 I found fairly amusing if not hilarious. I guess I just don't watch very many comedies.

I think most of my favorites have been mentioned somewhere in this thread. I like some "dumb" comedies but they have to hit the right notes for me. Stuff like Zoolander and Semi-Pro. Old School, Wedding Crashers. Now that I think about it I'm definitely more into the Frat Pack than whatever came next (the Stoner Pack?). There aren't that many sci fi comedies but those usually work for me--Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Mars Attacks!, Galaxy Quest. Early era spoofs like Top Secret and Airplane. Some Stephen Chow stuff, especially Kung Hustle but also Shaolin Soccer.
ah we just have very different tastes then. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Superbad, Wedding Crashers, Hot Fuzz & 21 Jump Street are probably my top five pure comedy movies. Unfortunately I can't really get into many comedies pre-2000. There are a few I've enjoyed but I think most people end up liking comedy films closer in time to their generation. I will say though, my dad is almost 60 and his favorite comedy is Superbad

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think most people end up liking comedy films closer in time to their generation.

Yeah I think there's something to that. I grew up w/ 80's stuff (Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Dan Akroyd etc.). 90's and early 2000's I was still down with. Somewhere along the line the direction that comedies took lost me for the most part.

Reaction Score
Been scrolling so maybe I missed these, but you have to include Harold & Kumar go to White Castle, the Naked Gun movies, Top Secret & Monty Python & the Holy Grail (I'd be shocked if that not already listed)..
This is hit or miss, but I thought Being John Malcovich was hysterical...

Being John Malkovich is a hit for me. It is very bizarre and very good. I found dropping people next to the New Jersey Turnpike to be hilarious.

Reaction Score
Being John Malkovich is a hit for me. It is very bizarre and very good. I found dropping people next to the New Jersey Turnpike to be hilarious.
That movie made me so uncomfortable that I couldn't enjoy it. The only thing that surpasses it for me is Requiem.

Reaction Score
Hot Tub stone Machine - the Better Off Dead entry reminded - 2 Dollars.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Role Models was also a pretty hilarious movie. Most of my other favorites are listed here, although I don't think Mel Brooks is getting enough love. Robin Hood: Men in Tights and Dracula: Dead and Loving it are awesome movies.

Reaction Score
Role Models was also a pretty hilarious movie. Most of my other favorites are listed here, although I don't think Mel Brooks is getting enough love. Robin Hood: Men in Tights and Dracula: Dead and Loving it are awesome movies.

I don't know that he's not getting enough love. Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, and History of the World, Part I are all heavily mentioned. I like Robin Hood and Dracula, but I don't think they are on the level of the other three mentioned.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Naked Gun, especially the first one, has to be on this list. It's the only movie i've ever walked out of hoarse from laughing.

Reaction Score
ah we just have very different tastes then. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Superbad, Wedding Crashers, Hot Fuzz & 21 Jump Street are probably my top five pure comedy movies. Unfortunately I can't really get into many comedies pre-2000. There are a few I've enjoyed but I think most people end up liking comedy films closer in time to their generation. I will say though, my dad is almost 60 and his favorite comedy is Superbad
I think Jonah Hill was hysterical in Wolf of Wall Street. Superbad? It was OK, but I don't recall any scenes which were hilarious.

Seth Rogen. I want to be entertained, I just don't think he is funny at all.

Something About Mary, Wedding Crashers, Stasky & Hutch. Great casts, great lines. But that's me, I'm an aggressive gambler. Mr. Vegas.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Superbad? It was OK, but I don't recall any scenes which were hilarious.
I've probably seen Superbad at least 20 times and I can think of at least a half dozen scenes off the top of my head that still make me laugh out loud each time I see it:

The reaction from Hill and Cera when McLovin first shows them his fake ID.

McLovin getting punched in the face.

The crazy dude hitting Hill with his car.

The crazy dude getting the snot beat out of him at the party.

"She perioded on my leg."

Cera singing "These Eyes."

I'm sure there are many more. Hysterical movie imo.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've probably seen Superbad at least 20 times and I can think of at least a half dozen scenes off the top of my head that still make me laugh out loud each time I see it:

"I told her what time it was."

Husky25

Reaction Score
American Pie

Reaction Score

I don't think I ever saw it in its entirety in one sitting so I'll take your word for it. I smirked a few times. To each his own I guess.

Wolf of Wall Street dwarf discussion. That's hysterical, but too crude to post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

"You hit Becca's foot with your d!c&"?

"Yeah. I know . . ."

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't think I ever saw it in its entirety in one sitting so I'll take your word for it. I barely smirked. To each his own I guess.

@8893 - Just pulled up the quotes on IMDb and had to suppress random laughter, think back on the movie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893 - Just pulled up the quotes on IMDb and had to suppress random laughter, think back on the movie.
There are a ton of great lines, but I'm also big on physical comedy, especially unexpected hits, and there are quite a few of those, too. And I laugh even when I know it's coming. Must have been the Three Stooges influence on me.

Like, I still laugh every time I see Uncle Rico nail Napolean with the steak in Napolean Dynamite.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Monty Python's Holy Grail and Life of Brian were absolutely genius. Meaning of Life was good, although it seemed a bit forced at times.

The Holy SNL Trilogy of Caddyshack, Animal House and Fletch are obviously excellent.

I liked most of Appatow's movies, but Amy Heckerling (Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Clueless) is better.

This is Spinal Tap and Best in Show are both excellent.

Office Space is genius

Airplane! and Airplane 2 both age very well. I know the writing team was completely different for the two movies, but I liked them both.

I like Blues Brothers, but I don't know if it is because of the comedy, the music or it just kind of works as a movie.

The Jerk is pretty good, although I don't know if I consider it an all-time great like some do.

The Hangover I and the Hangover III. II wasn't bad, but it was basically the same as I.

Not Funny:

The 80's sex comedies like Porkys and Revenge of the Nerds are not remotely funny, and kind of offensive in hindsight.

Farley and Sandler's movies didn't age well. They were amusing in the 90's, but seem idiotic today.

Reaction Score
Monty Python's Holy Grail and Life of Brian were absolutely genius. Meaning of Life was good, although it seemed a bit forced at times.

The Holy SNL Trilogy of Caddyshack, Animal House and Fletch are obviously excellent.

I liked most of Appatow's movies, but Amy Heckerling (Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Clueless) is better.

This is Spinal Tap and Best in Show are both excellent.

Office Space is genius

Airplane! and Airplane 2 both age very well. I know the writing team was completely different for the two movies, but I liked them both.

I like Blues Brothers, but I don't know if it is because of the comedy, the music or it just kind of works as a movie.

The Jerk is pretty good, although I don't know if I consider it an all-time great like some do.

The Hangover I and the Hangover III. II wasn't bad, but it was basically the same as I.

Not Funny:

The 80's sex comedies like Porkys and Revenge of the Nerds are not remotely funny, and kind of offensive in hindsight.

Farley and Sandler's movies didn't age well. They were amusing in the 90's, but seem idiotic today.
Agree with most, but the scene where he suggests having a sketch artist draw the incriminating tally whacker was hilarious.

Reaction Score
The Pink Panther series deserves honorable mention. Especially the physical comedy. The fight scenes with Cato.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom