Gordon Sammis Named OC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gordon Sammis Named OC

Reaction Score
If Sammis is promoted this move screams desperation. But being one of those also screaming for a new OC this was alway a possibility, albeit the worst possible one. Even if he comes out with clear goals, objectives and a plan to elevate the passing game how are recruits expected to buy into that vision? What comparable offense has he ever ran? We needed to show a commitment to elevating our offensive production by bringing in someone with a track record of success at all aspects of this position and there are guys even in lower divisions that have done that. A proven OC can hit the ground running even if an overhaul is necessary, and it probably is. Before Spring football starts is not too late which makes this move totally baffling. Knowing what was necessary and failing to do it can't be papered over. We still don't have an OC and that's a very bad look. I don't care how good he communicates, players have to be wondering what's going on. I can run with hope if it's based on something, but I'm out on hopium.
My initial thoughts were similar. But is there a different angle to look at this from?
Sammis isn’t an unknown variable. He has developed relationships with Mora, the other coaches and most of all players. This move helps to keep some continuity in a program that has had very little over past decade.
Yeah, I would love to see a big name hire. But that doesn’t guarantee anything and if Sammis is hungry and talented, and bleeds blue, I’m open to giving him a chance.

Reaction Score
I loved Sammis as our OL coach. Natural progression for him to be an OC. Just because Giofre wasn’t able to succeed as OC here doesn’t mean all former OL coaches are doomed to failure as coordinators. I do hope we hire a young OL coach in the summer so Sammis can focus on coordinating. My gut tells me he is going to be great. We will see obviously.

Reaction Score
At this point I don’t care who is OC as long as they can prove they’re competent with on field results. The bar is in hell and they still find ways to trip over it.

Reaction Score
But the problem is opponents all seem to know the current playbook too....
Well, they know know which pages of the hymnal are likely to be chosen, I will give you that. But there is a lot of the playbook that is underutilized.

Reaction Score
Most of you won't like this comment, but GDL was an OL coach before he was made the OC/OL coach at Syracuse and he was innovative during his time and the Syracuse offense performed well. Unfortunately, his schemes were tired by the time he got to UConn and he wasn't successful here.

I'm not excited by making Sammis the OC due to the lack of experience, but I'm going to be hopeful.

Reaction Score
Most of you won't like this comment, but GDL was an OL coach before he was made the OC/OL coach at Syracuse and he was innovative during his time and the Syracuse offense performed well. Unfortunately, his schemes were tired by the time he got to UConn and he wasn't successful here.

I'm not excited by making Sammis the OC due to the lack of experience, but I'm going to be hopeful.
Yeah we got the expired milk version of GDL but his zone blocking scheme was revolutionary to the game of FB at one time.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I, for one, welcome our new offensive coordinator. He did nice work with the O-line, knows the players and plays, and is already a known commodity for HC Jim Mora. I'm pleased with the move.

Reaction Score
I wish they had spent more time on the hire but if it all goes wrong it will be like charlton... out the door at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Well, they know know which pages of the hymnal are likely to be chosen, I will give you that. But there is a lot of the playbook that is underutilized.
You know, I once had the opportunity to meet a pretty well respected college coach who graduated with me from UConn. We were talking about football and the difference between Yankee Conference ball where he played and major college ball where he coached for years. He said at UConn they had many(40 sticks in my mind) offensive plays, but he now has 6 basic plays. It is about execution and choosing the right option within the play. Especially execution, though. If Sammis can get better execution we will be fine.

Reaction Score
I wish they had spent more time on the hire but if it all goes wrong it will be like charlton... out the door at the end of the season.
Why do you think you have any idea how much time was spent on the hire? Do you think Charlton woke up one morning last week and decided to go to the NFL? For all any of us know, Mora saw this as an option he wanted after the season ended, and was just working on placing Charlton in a way that was palatable to all parties. Who knows??

Reaction Score
Why do you think you have any idea how much time was spent on the hire? Do you think Charlton woke up one morning last week and decided to go to the NFL? For all any of us know, Mora saw this as an option he wanted after the season ended, and was just working on placing Charlton in a way that was palatable to all parties. Who knows??
I sort of think something like this happened. It was clear that Mora was as frustrated as we were about the offense last season. But he is also not one to publicly embarrass people. I imagine he tried to get Charlton out in a way that saved face and planned to bring Sammis up for a while. Now we’ll see who comes in as qb coach. I’m pretty hopeful on this.

Reaction Score
You know, I once had the opportunity to meet a pretty well respected college coach who graduated with me from UConn. We were talking about football and the difference between Yankee Conference ball where he played and major college ball where he coached for years. He said at UConn they had many(40 sticks in my mind) offensive plays, but he now has 6 basic plays. It is about execution and choosing the right option within the play. Especially execution, though. If Sammis can get better execution we will be fine.
Your coach friend sounds like Randy. Or really any coach. "Its about execution! Every play is drawn up to produce a TD!"

Reaction Score
I sort of think something like this happened. It was clear that Mora was as frustrated as we were about the offense last season. But he is also not one to publicly embarrass people. I imagine he tried to get Charlton out in a way that saved face and planned to bring Sammis up for a while. Now we’ll see who comes in as qb coach. I’m pretty hopeful on this.
Agreed, Mora comes across as a class guy, spent a little time with him and he felt genuine. Charlton is a young guy with a wife and kids, he lands on his feet, with no break in work experience. Tough on his family, but its a tough business. UConn has no buyout either.

Reaction Score
I'll admit the error... I'm thinking like he just started looking for OCs the day the announcement was made. That being said, I don't know if it is proper for Mora to be doing the call-arounds in case it got to the press.

Reaction Score
Your coach friend sounds like Randy. Or really any coach. "Its about execution! Every play is drawn up to produce a TD!"
Sounds more like Vernon Hargreaves...

Reaction Score
He’s been a head coach in the Big 10 for many years, but maybe.

Reaction Score
I dont think it was Randy.
Not saying it WAS Randy. That is just what every coach says. When have you heard a coach say "we lost today cause our players executed our terrible plays, but the plays just sucked?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom