Gordon Sammis Named OC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gordon Sammis Named OC

Reaction Score
A) Not that it's close to ideal but I imagine Sammus will be OC/OL coach. We only have one open spot on the staff.

B) I'm not claiming that he will or will not open up the passing game but before anyone completely dismisses the idea that he may want a more wide open offense, due to his being an OLine coach, keep in mind that Andy Reid started as an offensive line coach.
Matt Rhule did too. And as I said on the earlier post Norris’s Wilson ran an exciting offense at UConn.

Reaction Score
Matt Rhule did too. And as I said on the earlier post Norris’s Wilson ran an exciting offense at UConn.
Rule was a defensive coach before he became QB coach at Temple for one year then OC. Willson had been an OC before he came to UConn and had Orlovsky to work with.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yea back when football ran like it was 1985 ..... Football has changed. This is going to be torture run right, run left, lateral pass to watch this year. Only the most loyal UConn football fans who don't dare challenge the system would find an upside in losing an awful OC to get an unproven OL coach AGAIN as its OC.
So you have seen how this guy runs an offense? The BY is a fun place. Who does anyone think was going to walk through the current UConn door on March 15? 2/3 rds of the posters here have flunked the guy before the first day of class Nobody has a single clue.

Reaction Score
Sammis seems to have a history of improving OL play resulting in better run production and protecting the QB. Unknowns are his overall O philosophy or his ability to successfully express that philosophy. Hope his history translates. I do think time is running out for even longtime supporters though.

Reaction Score
Are we sure reports of Gordon Sammis becoming OC are true? If they are, UConn could do a lot worse than him.

Reaction Score
……..and you’re posting this why??? I hope you don’t think Mora has the same football IQ as the idiot’s of the past.
The decision around who started QB last season ... we shall seeeeeeeeee

Reaction Score
That first series in game 1 against NCState was amazing. I thought we finally were turning the corner and good things were on the way. Faganno played great. Then we turned a corner, into a wall. I remember a play on the NCState sideline on the second possession where he got hit hard out of bounds. He was never the same after that. Did something happen to him or was that first drive just luck?

Reaction Score
So you have seen how this guy runs an offense? The BY is a fun place. Who does anyone think was going to walk through the current UConn door on March 15? 2/3 rds of the posters here have flunked the guy before the first day of class Nobody has a single clue.
Art Briles is still out there. He had exciting offenses.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Art Briles is still out there. He had exciting offenses.
And you know he wasn’t contacted? Or was at all interested? Still, nobody knows how the actual hire will pan out. We all hope for the best. Ultimately QB talent along with the line and receivers will be the key to how much more we can open up. We have pretty good backs.

Reaction Score
If Sammis is promoted this move screams desperation. But being one of those also screaming for a new OC this was alway a possibility, albeit the worst possible one. Even if he comes out with clear goals, objectives and a plan to elevate the passing game how are recruits expected to buy into that vision? What comparable offense has he ever ran? We needed to show a commitment to elevating our offensive production by bringing in someone with a track record of success at all aspects of this position and there are guys even in lower divisions that have done that. A proven OC can hit the ground running even if an overhaul is necessary, and it probably is. Before Spring football starts is not too late which makes this move totally baffling. Knowing what was necessary and failing to do it can't be papered over. We still don't have an OC and that's a very bad look. I don't care how good he communicates, players have to be wondering what's going on. I can run with hope if it's based on something, but I'm out on hopium.

Reaction Score
That first series in game 1 against NCState was amazing. I thought we finally were turning the corner and good things were on the way. Faganno played great. Then we turned a corner, into a wall. I remember a play on the NCState sideline on the second possession where he got hit hard out of bounds. He was never the same after that. Did something happen to him or was that first drive just luck?

I agree the first series I legit thought wow we have something. But the wheels came off fast ... game ball would have gone to Rosa anyways. The final drive where Fagnano threw into triple coverage for the game ending INT was classic for UConn fans

Reaction Score
Just guessing here, but I suspect that HCJM wants to stay with the current playbook. The players all know it. The coaches all know it. He most probably wants to keep any changes to an evolutionary variety, perhaps a different emphasis in certain situations. Variations on a theme, not major changes.

But this choice does not immediately scream more downfield passing. UConn has a freshman now who can stand in the pocket and sling it. At least we think they do. This doesn't sound like UConn is all that eager to utilize him.

Reaction Score
Just guessing here, but I suspect that HCJM wants to stay with the current playbook. The players all know it. The coaches all know it. He most probably wants to keep any changes to an evolutionary variety, perhaps a different emphasis in certain situations. Variations on a theme, not major changes.

But this choice does not immediately scream more downfield passing. UConn has a freshman now who can stand in the pocket and sling it. At least we think they do. This doesn't sound like UConn is all that eager to utilize him.
But the problem is opponents all seem to know the current playbook too....

Reaction Score
You guys are funny. It isn’t like there has never been an OL coach who was also OC or promoted to OC. Florida State and USC have that combo. When Urban Mayer was at Ohio State his OC was had started his career as oline coach then was promoted to OC at a MAC school. It is actually a pretty common promotion path in football. Oline coaches need to have an understanding of the whole offense since their guys are key to all aspects of it, not just running backs or quarterbacks. And Sammis is a highly respected coach. He is known to be innovative in his approach to line play. Would I have liked an experienced OC? Yeah, but this is a pretty common promotion, a very respected coach and I think it has a good deal of potential to be pretty successful. Can’t wait for all the whining when he is being touted to go to run the offense at a P4 program in a couple of years.

Reaction Score
I'm still on the Mora train, but boy I would have liked to be a fly on the wall to overhear the Charlton thing and this decision.

Maybe in this situation, with the many UConn fb doubters, it would be positive if Mora explained all. If anyone gets upset - tough (you have to break a few eggs to....).

UConn fb is near Defcon 2 in the national picture with a 2 or 3 year fuse (unfortunately).

Reaction Score
With the limited time prior to spring practice, if there was going to be an official OC hired and not interim OC named, it was going to have to be someone currently on staff and run the spring practice with whatever offense was already in place, you didn't have time bring someone in. Given the options already on staff Sammis is the best choice they could've made prior to spring practice. Where you could quibble is if you wanted to see him elevated to the full position or if you would've rather him be named interim OC and a continued search after camp.

Reaction Score
You guys are funny. It isn’t like there has never been an OL coach who was also OC or promoted to OC. Florida State and USC have that combo. When Urban Mayer was at Ohio State his OC was had started his career as oline coach then was promoted to OC at a MAC school. It is actually a pretty common promotion path in football. Oline coaches need to have an understanding of the whole offense since their guys are key to all aspects of it, not just running backs or quarterbacks. And Sammis is a highly respected coach. He is known to be innovative in his approach to line play. Would I have liked an experienced OC? Yeah, but this is a pretty common promotion, a very respected coach and I think it has a good deal of potential to be pretty successful. Can’t wait for all the whining when he is being touted to go to run the offense at a P4 program in a couple of years.
I don't think folks have a problem with the pathway just given the state of the program, there is apprehension toward it beginning it here.

Reaction Score
We needed to show a commitment to elevating our offensive production by bringing in someone with a track record of success at all aspects of this position and there are guys even in lower divisions that have done that.
No attack at you @Jimdish255, just using your statement to help with mine. So many here are slandering the coaching moves with out a bit of knowledge who would be interested in coming here. I'm confident Jim has been making calls but how many have been getting back?
Yes many a lower division coaches want to climb the ladder but how many are waiting for a stronger rung as to not take a carrier step back?
I being the eternal optimist have purchased tickets but have no idea what to expect. This who has shown interest or been offered. It's not easy being us. ;)

Reaction Score

I mean theoretically the playbook isn't wrong. It's just the choices.

I think we'd all want an experienced hand thar we don't have to question. It's more than just play calling at some point.

Reaction Score
Having slept on this for a night, I've done what I usually do when confronted with initially perplexing news from the UConn football program. Accept and embrace.

Sammis has done a good job with the OL and is deserving of this opportunity. He is young and building his coaching resume so he is motivared to succeed. He knows the players and the playbook and apparently has a good relationship with HCJM. I'm sure he will give it everything he has. Hopefully the qualities that have made him a good OL coach will enable him to succeed as the OC. Good luck to him.

Reaction Score
It’s really ridiculous they try to claim to be “big time”/committed to success in FB and in the last five years we’ve voluntarily cancelled a season and hired two OL coaches with no coordinator experience to run our offense

Unless something drastically changes by this time next year with the commitment we make to the sport, I will no longer be buying tickets to support the program. Just a total waste of $.

Who else are they going to get less than a week before spring?

Some NFL burnout? The timing of this sucks but I am glad he is gone.

Everything I have heard about Sammis is glowing. Frankly, I’m surprised he wasn’t hired away already.

This is making the best of a suboptimal situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom