Gordon Sammis Named OC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gordon Sammis Named OC

Reaction Score
He’s been a head coach in the Big 10 for many years, but maybe.

Your friend Kirk has an offense so bad that Iowa fans look forward to the punts.

I can't believe you would use him as an example of offensive execution.

Now defense otoh....

Reaction Score
UConn has no buyout either.
Well, that part we really don't know. They made it sound like he left voluntarily; but, he was most likely pushed, in which case UConn is on the hook only for the difference in salaries assuming he took a cut.

Reaction Score
Well, that part we really don't know. They made it sound like he left voluntarily; but, he was most likely pushed, in which case UConn is on the hook only for the difference in salaries assuming he took a cut.
Yeah, like I said, who knows. I am ok with where we are, and hopeful QB coach is a live one!!

Reaction Score
Why do you think you have any idea how much time was spent on the hire? Do you think Charlton woke up one morning last week and decided to go to the NFL? For all any of us know, Mora saw this as an option he wanted after the season ended, and was just working on placing Charlton in a way that was palatable to all parties. Who knows??

Something like this is probably what happened. Guess when Spanos landed his gig at Ole Miss? March 2023.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Something like this is probably what happened. Guess when Spanos landed his gig at Ole Miss? March 2023.
we still dont know what really happened with Spanos…i assume we wont ever know what happened with Charlton.

i am a Dave Benedict fan, but he needs to be more open about what is going on with the football program. i dont blame Mora for keeping everything quiet. less issues for him. But Benedict should care about the football brand.

Reaction Score
we still dont know what really happened with Spanos…i assume we wont ever know what happened with Charlton.

i am a Dave Benedict fan, but he needs to be more open about what is going on with the football program. i dont blame Mora for keeping everything quiet. less issues for him. But Benedict should care about the football brand.
Well, good points. But I subscribe to the school of thought that the fans have no intrinsic right to knowledge of HR matters unless the circumstances are highly unusual. Salaries of course are a matter of public record.

Reaction Score

Is there any local media coverage that asks these questions?

Reaction Score
And yet. Not one quote from Mora. Hurley is effusive in his praise for his Assistants. Uconn announces a new OC with a generic press release. This is ridiculously strange.
I would guess that next week will be different. Give the BB team their kudos and parade.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And yet. Not one quote from Mora. Hurley is effusive in his praise for his Assistants. Uconn announces a new OC with a generic press release. This is ridiculously strange.
Hurley's trying to help his assistants move on to head coaching jobs. I'm not sure Mora wants this staff decimated.

Reaction Score
Without going through this entire thread, just put something on the field which resembles 202p's college football. Get players in to space and move the ball vertically.
Why not 1080p?

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> … Shortly after Nick Charlton left for a job with the NFL’s Browns in March, Mora called Sammis and offered him the offensive coordinator’s position. All the challenges and opportunities that come with that job are Sammis’ now.

“There’s really three key tenets,” Sammis said. “We want to be explosive, we want to be multiple and we want to be physical. That’s what offense has to be in this day and age, that’s what’s needed to score points and win games. There are a lot of ways you can do it, but the tried and true thing in football, you build everything around the run game, and then it’s our job to be explosive, to have our passing game look like our run formations, look like our different run plays. In my mind, if you’re running the football, people have to have answers. If they put guys in the box, you have to be able to throw the ball over their heads. Different types of play-action, verticals. We need to make the defense defend every blade of grass, so we need to stretch them horizontally as well.”

Sammis’ offense will be showing defenses the same plays with different people, different formations. None of this is revolutionary or talking out of school. These are the basics of good offense; the only secret is identifying players who can execute it, and teaching them to do it. <-

-> “Offensively, you’re going to see us run the ball with authority,” Sammis said. “Take what the defense gives us in terms of the passing game and we’re going to try to put our guys in a place where we can get our best players the ball and let them go to work. I feel like we’ve definitely improved our team at multiple positions, we’ve added some explosiveness, some guys with ball skills. The progress they’ve made excites me.” <-

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the article link @huskymedic. It's way too early, but reading what Sammis said has me jazzed up that we might have an offense.

Reaction Score
"to have our passing game look like our run formations, look like our different run plays."

" We need to make the defense defend every blade of grass”

He must have been listening to me when I was complaining about our offensive scheme/play calling.

Reaction Score
"to have our passing game look like our run formations, look like our different run plays."

" We need to make the defense defend every blade of grass”

He must have been listening to me when I was complaining about our offensive scheme/play calling.
"the tried and true thing in football, you build everything around the run game, and then it’s our job to be explosive, to have our passing game look like our run formations, look like our different run plays."

Amen to this if it's true. If it is the offense will be way better.

Reaction Score
The Sopranos Quote GIF

Reaction Score
"the tried and true thing in football, you build everything around the run game, and then it’s our job to be explosive, to have our passing game look like our run formations, look like our different run plays."

Every coach that has come to UConn has said this. What they are implying is the run game will empower the passing game. I wonder why it never occurs to them that the opposite is true?

Regarding taking what the defense will give them, we all know what that is right now. Expect a continued emphasis on east/west passing.

Reaction Score

Sounds like another recipe for a low scoring offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom