Goofy? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Goofy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
She did make her point. I guess it just went over some people's heads.

And her phraseology was more succinct. People are just overly sensitive about things. Nothing you can do, it's the way it is.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lobo did give context to her statement. The goofy had direct reference to very long arms and pigeon toed. Nothing else any audience member may have shoved into the comment. Guess what pigeon toed makes you? Faster than you would have been otherwise. It translates energy more efficiently into linear movement. You wanna be a sprinter? Pray you are pigeon toed. Longer than "normal" arms, well I can tie my shoes with less back strain and ... oh yes, shoot over you so very well! Give me that kind of goofy every time. Sign me up for two helpings of what she's having. ;)

Reaction Score
And her phraseology was more succinct. People are just overly sensitive about things. Nothing you can do, it's the way it is.

that type of succinct phraseology definitely does appeal to certain people .

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with the comment about the KML commentary and especially a number of posts on the board talking about all the weight she had gained (whether injury related or not.) And we constantly had discussions that centered around Kaili McLaren's conditioning/weight.
We have a thread now titled Tuck is a Diva which I found inappropriate - no harm was meant, the intent was to say she was always very well turned out on the sideline, but the word Diva to me and to many others implies both extreme talent but also imperiousness, being temperamental, self centered, and egotistical - not intended and certainly not what any fan would use to describe Morgan.
Some of you seem to feel 'goofy' has the very negative connotations - for me and a bunch of others, not so much.
Finally I rest my case:
Breanna_Stewart-357x500.jpg

Reaction Score
I believe that both Stef and Geno have both refered to Stewie as Goofy and I, possibly, remember Bria, too. It is not a term that originated with Rebecca.

She is tall and lanky like Goofy, with arms that seem to go on forever. She kind of just slides along like Goofy, as well.

Not sure that anyone is using it in a disparaging manner. It just kind of fits her contenance and she goofy sence of humor, yuck! yuck! yuck!

No one on the team calls her goofy.

Reaction Score
I have been waiting to comment on this... because I wanted to think about what I was going to say carefully. I find it interesting that people are outraged that they commented on Stewie... yet they found it acceptable when the announcers were given KML crap when she was coming back from injury and how she allowed herself to get out of shape. But anyways, in the end KML and Stewie will go on to have amazing basketball careers and they will only be able to talk about it.
I thought both comments were out-of-line. I've also noticed that I've never heard those things about players on other teams. It's tough to be on top.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Very poor choice of words. I'm willing to cut Rebecca a break. I doubt she would appreciate being called 'goofy looking'.

Reaction Score
Uconn women's games are the toughest to commentate.

What do you do when one team is up by 20+? You start talking about silly crap. It happens in the men's game as well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
hey buddy its been a while since Ive seen a post from you, hope all is well... Happy New Year!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

What do you do when one team is up by 20+? You start talking about silly crap. It happens in the men's game as well.
You call the game action. The game is always different, always new. The greatest broadcasters from the past always called the game. Of course, that mean knowing the game well including defenses, offenses, and the player tendencies.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Very poor choice of words. I'm willing to cut Rebecca a break. I doubt she would appreciate being called 'goofy looking'.
She was goofy looking as a young UCONN player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Now I get it !!! Rebecca how dare you- Ice-Rebecca was goofy looking - aM TOO- AM NOT-AM TOO-AM NOT
Hey, we have all seen the photos, she was all arms and legs.

Reaction Score
There is a huge difference bvetween "acting goofy", and being called "goofy looking". The fact that they went on and on, laughing about it, while ignoring the game being played in front of them, was what I didn't like. They sounded like a couple of high school "divas" making fun of the "unpopular" kid...

Reaction Score
The commentators' comments made me very uncomfortable. I was taught from an early age not to make personal comments about other people. "Great dress!" is fine, but anything about a permanent or semi-permanent feature is not. If I had ever called another woman 'goofy' or commented on her 'orange' legs I would have been slapped across the mouth, and rightly so. And such comments by women 20+ years older than the recipients? Come on!

Reaction Score

Not always. Kara Lawson and Mike Patrick did an excellent job doing the men's blowout the other night. Economy of words is a good thing.

Reaction Score
The worst is when they are talking crap and don't even acknowledge a foul or mean pick during it. I've seen Stef blown to the floor and the announcer (no name) doesn't even acknowledge it while prattling on about some garbage that has nothing to do with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom