Goofy? | The Boneyard

Goofy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Were my wife and i the only ones who thought the extended conversation during the Louisville game, between Rebecca and Pam Ward about Stewie being "goofy looking" was inappropriate? With all of the emphasis on women's self esteem being tied to their appearance, I thought that this was way out of line. I know that Rebecca walks on water, here, and to a certain extent, she should, but that shocked me.
JMO...

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Were my wife and i the only ones who thought the extended conversation during the Louisville game, between Rebecca and Pam Wared about Stewie being "goofy looking" was inappropriate?
Nope, not inappropriate at all. It may have been a little boring though.

Last edited:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Were my wife and i the only ones who thought the extended conversation during the Louisville game, between Rebecca and Pam Wared about Stewie being "goofy looking" was inappropriate? With all of the emphasis on women's self esteem being tied to their appearance, I thought that this was way out of line. I know that Rebecca walks on water, here, and to a certain extent, she should, but that shocked me.
JMO...

It was fine with me, just the type of “busting” that occurs between athletes. As for self esteem being tied to appearance, let's diminish that one, not support it. Just what I think.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah- and the conversation about Stephanie and her leg color- would you be hearin' that during a men's telecast?
No, but I did find that one kinda interesting/funny. Never understood why people use that orange crap.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Rebecca's own appearance in her post-adolescence versus now is night and day, and she'd be the first to acknowledge it, I bet. She wouldn't acknowledge how lovely she is now, but she probably would admit to not having come into her own by the time she was in college.

Reaction Score
Lobo to me has become the worst color announcer out there in WBB when she uses that falsetto voice to comment. She can be insightful when speaking in her normal voice but has been told or has decided to "pick it up" with the change in voice and down right unprofessional with out of context remarks.

Reaction Score
I think Becca's vocabulary is being skewed by her children. I can imagine her using that term with them.

Reaction Score
Here is one reason I don't like it. These two are on national TV and there are girls of all ages watching and listening to these announcers who might get the impression it is okay to act like that. I don't know if Rebecca realizes how offensive it might sound. If she wants to have some fun with Breanna, throw on some shorts, grab a basketball and do a segment shooting some hoops and then she can do her trash talking. It is sad, but I have lost a little respect for Rebecca after she made fun of almost every aspect of Stewart's body.

Reaction Score
It was fine with me, just the type of “busting” that occurs between athletes. As for self esteem being tied to appearance, let's diminish that one, not support it. Just what I think.
I agree whole heartedly with you on diminishing this.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe that both Stef and Geno have both refered to Stewie as Goofy and I, possibly, remember Bria, too. It is not a term that originated with Rebecca.

She is tall and lanky like Goofy, with arms that seem to go on forever. She kind of just slides along like Goofy, as well.

Not sure that anyone is using it in a disparaging manner. It just kind of fits her contenance and she goofy sence of humor, yuck! yuck! yuck!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kara is the one who rules! I turn the others off; just can't take it...even our own. Kara is smart and professional, the way it should be.

During the course of the day yesterday (and often on other busy bb days), Kara commented on both men's and women's games and she did so with the same knowledgeable and professional manner for each, making no distinction (childish or otherwise -- e.g., "orange legs" or "diaper dandies") between wcbb and mcbb.

She has become (along with maybe Jay Bilas) the ultimate bb analyst.

IMO.

Reaction Score
I believe that both Stef and Geno have both refered to Stewie as Goofy and I, possibly, remember Bria, too. It is not a term that originated with Rebecca.

She is tall and lanky like Goofy, with arms that seem to go on forever. She kind of just slides along like Goofy, as well.

Not sure that anyone is using it in a disparaging manner. It just kind of fits her contenance and she goofy sence of humor, yuck! yuck! yuck!
I am not completely sure of the context of Geno, Stef and Bria's comments when they called Stewie goofy. We all remember Stewie mussing up Geno's hair and I believe they are referring more to her personality as goofy.

IMO, Rebecca doesn't need to refer to her gangly arms, pigeon toed feet and (Can't remember what she said about her legs) and calling her goofy looking. I agree with you that the comments were not meant to be disparaging. But I believe as an ESPN announcer on national TV she should have a little more respect for the players on all teams at all times.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am not completely sure of the context of Geno, Stef and Bria's comments when they called Stewie goofy. We all remember Stewie mussing up Geno's hair and I believe they are referring more to her personality as goofy.

IMO, Rebecca doesn't need to refer to her gangly arms, pigeon toed feet and (Can't remember what she said about her legs) and calling her goofy looking. I agree with you that the comments were not meant to be disparaging. But I believe as an ESPN announcer on national TV she should have a little more respect for the players on all teams at all times.
I don't disagree with the Rebecca/ESPN aspect but we have to remember that Rebecca, also, sees these kids within the UCONN family aspect, too. One of the contexts for Geno was during one of the Geno Show comments on Breanna describing her personality.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kib - absolutely agree on Kara - she is just a pleasure to listen to - knowledgeable, passionate, opinionated, blunt. I feel sorry for her sometimes having to suffer the other fools she has to discuss stuff with. Yesterday in the post game the guy asked her about the game and she gave a goo summary with a fair amount of time devoted to Stewart being unguardable and the guy was to inept to jump his next scripted question and did a sloppy question about how important was Stewart in the game. Kara fielded it pretty well and said a few additional things, but I could sense her thinking 'come on bozo, get with the program, I already did this bit'.
As for the OP - I have no problem with that as it was in the context of her basketball skill and not being a classic 'athletic type' - the final bit being but man can she play this game. My take away being - it doesn't matter what you look like if you can play like a goddess - which is really what you want us talking about - substance over surface.
The orange leg bit was a bit over the top, but ... John Boehner get called on his bottle tan all the time so it isn't that unusual. Found it interesting that Lobo said Dtef wanted people to know that she understands tanning beds are dangerous but she just wants some color in the winter - suggesting it might even have been a request from Stef?
This falls into the fill in the dead time in a game that is not close and is one of my least favorite parts of any announcing team. I thought the analysis of play they did earlier was actually above standard - and using tape to show the double screen that got Shonni open for her 3, and earlier for some Uconn play was really nice.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was a recent quote from one of the Uconn players - may have been in an SNY segment about first seeing Stewart and think 'she can't be any good on the court' because of the way she looked, and then getting on court with her and being blown away.
I have more problem with people talking about KMLs weight, or also in yesterday's broadcast the freshman post for Louisville being large, both of which are more germane to psychological problems for people than being long limbed, pigeon toed, or goofy.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Completely OT, the title of this thread brought a smile to my morning. "Goofy" is the end of the punchline to my favorite off-color joke. On a Monday morning, you'll take a grin wherever you find it!:D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stef is probably using Boehner brand Tanning Lotion.

Reaction Score
Were my wife and i the only ones who thought the extended conversation during the Louisville game, between Rebecca and Pam Wared about Stewie being "goofy looking" was inappropriate? With all of the emphasis on women's self esteem being tied to their appearance, I thought that this was way out of line. I know that Rebecca walks on water, here, and to a certain extent, she should, but that shocked me.
JMO...

C'mon folks this is bordering on the rediculous. Rebecca is the most respectful and intelligent of all the ex huskies.Go back and look at the ND game and watch her clapping her hands
running down the court. The cutest thing ever and yes goofy.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib - absolutely agree on Kara - she is just a pleasure to listen to - knowledgeable, passionate, opinionated, blunt. I feel sorry for her sometimes having to suffer the other fools she has to discuss stuff with.
I thought the analysis of play they did earlier was actually above standard - and using tape to show the double screen that got Shonni open for her 3, and earlier for some Uconn play was really nice.

I think most of us agree on Kara's professionalism but, in fairness to others (play-by-play, in-game analysis, etc.) we must acknowledge that her in-studio job is less challenging than trying to sustain interest for two hours, especially during a blowout.

So let me take a shot at some good things I have seen/heard.

Some replays yesterday were terrific -- and instructive. Three leap to mind: that great pass from Kaleena to Stef, Stewie's block on a layup, and the screen to free Shoni for the trey (that you mentioned). There were several others and as I think about this I believe that each was shown from different cameras. Is it possible that "the guy in the truck" for ESPN (and SNY) has more options available than our beloved CPTV team had?

In addition to praise for Kara, permit me to add my admiration for Beth Mowins as a play-by-play announcer. (In addition to her excellence with wcbb, I recall her doing a Pitt football game superlatively.) And Eric Crede on SNY. Add Karith with the courtside stuff. What they all seem to have in common is that they are thoroughly pepared -- as a reult of doing their homework, painstakingly.

Let me conclude by sticking my neck out. Thinking again of that screen that freed Shoni, it seems that teams try that a lot against UConn (and ND tries it vs. everybody, to free McBride or Loyd or Mabry). Thus I thought it was significant that Geno (not exactly a devotee of zone defenses) unveiled, then repeated, an unusual 1-2-2 zone recently, possibly to counter that strategem. I thought this was a big deal but my keen observation has not yet drawn even a yawn from the commentators as they busily conversate about other stuff on-air.

I won't hold my breath as I await Kara or Doris or Rebecca to take notice. They don't whistle in the dark as I do.

Reaction Score
Lobo to me has become the worst color announcer out there in WBB when she uses that falsetto voice to comment. She can be insightful when speaking in her normal voice but has been told or has decided to "pick it up" with the change in voice and down right unprofessional with out of context remarks.

Lobo and Pam Ward or whoever that was were downright awful. If you took a drink every time either one said "Shoni Schimmel" you wouldn't sober up for three years. The drivel that spouts from their mouths is unbearable at times. I swear they must get paid by the word. Lobo's "goofy looking" barb was tasteless but only one of many stupid things that came out of her mouth. I don't know who she's trying to emulate but Bill Raftery she's not.

Reaction Score
Stewie is not particularly muscular or speedy, and her running is certainly not graceful. Yet she's one of the best players in the world. That was Lobo's point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom