Goofy? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Goofy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The worst is when they are talking crap and don't even acknowledge a foul or mean pick during it. I've seen Stef blown to the floor and the announcer (no name) doesn't even acknowledge it while prattling on about some garbage that has nothing to do with the game.
Agree - and I think it is the curse of Television. As sports program grew, they were generally taking people who got their start in radio where with no picture, the announcers had to describe the play precisely and keep track of everything for the listener. As the TV programming increased, they needed more and more folks and they started hiring people with no radio back ground. The we got MNF and the cult of sports personality in the booth and three people talking. With three there wasn't enough game talk for everyone so more extraneous talking crept in. And the sports personality and the extraneous talk spread out from there to all sports with less and less actual game talk - heck, everyone can see the picture, why describe it!
Of course the increased quality of both the picture and the broadcast infrastructure made it less and less necessary to describe the action - I remember watching some games in the 60s on a terrible B&W set with a bad antenna where without the commentary I couldn't tell which team was which let alone which player had the ball!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Some of us don't sit and watch the action with eyes transfixed. I know many folks like myself for whom it is background until I hear something that makes look up and watch or rerun a segment.

Reaction Score
It's funny, but you're right. I guess sharp eyes and wearing out the rewind button on my dvr remote is the most I can hope for. I am finding that the volume is lower every game I watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom