Goodman Preseason Top 50 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Goodman Preseason Top 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
With 80 minutes at the 1-2 there are plenty of minutes for the three guards not even counting small ball lineups.

Reaction Score
i forgot about chase jeter. Still will have to respectfully disagree on that being a ff potential roster. that batch of guards is not doing it for me, and losing the ridiculous offensive anchor that was okafor will show.
Well, they return 4 role players from the championship team. They add 4 guys ranked higher than Jalen Adams in the 247composite. Sean Obi is a Rodney Purvis level transfer. I'm just thinking that if this roster was for UConn instead of Duke then the 'Yard would be collectively talking about an undefeated season.

Reaction Score
Well, they return 4 role players from the championship team. They add 4 guys ranked higher than Jalen Adams in the 247composite. Sean Obi is a Rodney Purvis level transfer. I'm just thinking that if this roster was for UConn instead of Duke then the 'Yard would be collectively talking about an undefeated season.
If grayson allen was our backup pg, then i would have serious doubts heading into the season. and i'm also not really certain obi is a 'purvis level transfer', he played one season vs virtually no comp. @ rice

Reaction Score
Duke is going to be very good again. Front court will be iffy, but they did win a NC with zoubek so...ya. thornton moving to '15 saved their season, but they're almost like us last year with only 1 legitimate ball handler (and I take Sr Boatright over fr thornton any day)

I said it in another thread, and someone said it here, but I'll still beat the point to death...MSU and Wisconsin have no business being top 25. They both lost basically they're entire team and bring almost nothing in to replace them.

I like the lineup of adams, gibbs, purvis, hamilton, miller. oddly the only team in conference with a front court that will force us to use bigger lineups is USF with taco and the other fat kid

Reaction Score
I think Purvis will start with Gibbs, but based on experience, not on player ability. Adams will be, and I think is now, the best player of the guards, as a distributor definitely, as a ball handler under pressure, as a defender, and as a leader with the swagger. Plus he is as good a shooter and scorer as either. I still don't think he starts unless we go to 3 guards, or, the team develops a habit of starting off slow and getting behind. I do think he plays a few more minutes than Purvis and stands out of bounds less when catching the ball. I also think he and Gibbs will be intended to have the ball in their hands in end game situations to go to the line rather than Purvis.

As an aside, a number of Brimah's fouls occurred giving help going for blocks when opposing guards got by our guards including Purvis. I never knew if we were trying to channel the guards to Brimah like we did with Thabeet. In other words, was Purvis playing the defensive scheme correctly, or just getting beat. That would influence my view of his defense.

Reaction Score
Duke is going to be very good again. Front court will be iffy, but they did win a NC with zoubek so...ya. thornton moving to '15 saved their season, but they're almost like us last year with only 1 legitimate ball handler (and I take Sr Boatright over fr thornton any day)

I said it in another thread, and someone said it here, but I'll still beat the point to death...MSU and Wisconsin have no business being top 25. They both lost basically they're entire team and bring almost nothing in to replace them.

I like the lineup of adams, gibbs, purvis, hamilton, miller. oddly the only team in conference with a front court that will force us to use bigger lineups is USF with taco and the other fat kid

Michigan State is almost always in the top 25 and Wisconsin's entered the tournament ranked 8 out of the last 9 years. He's betting on the coaches more than anything else.

Reaction Score
I think Purvis will start with Gibbs, but based on experience, not on player ability. Adams will be, and I think is now, the best player of the guards, as a distributor definitely, as a ball handler under pressure, as a defender, and as a leader with the swagger. Plus he is as good a shooter and scorer as either. I still don't think he starts unless we go to 3 guards, or, the team develops a habit of starting off slow and getting behind. I do think he plays a few more minutes than Purvis and stands out of bounds less when catching the ball. I also think he and Gibbs will be intended to have the ball in their hands in end game situations to go to the line rather than Purvis.

As an aside, a number of Brimah's fouls occurred giving help going for blocks when opposing guards got by our guards including Purvis. I never knew if we were trying to channel the guards to Brimah like we did with Thabeet. In other words, was Purvis playing the defensive scheme correctly, or just getting beat. That would influence my view of his defense.

ha at that bolded part. And purvis is an average on ball defender, because he loved ball watching and was often late with defensive rotations season. Right now Adams Purvis and gibbs are all gigantic question marks defensively; I think whoever is closing the games is the set of guards who contain the dribble the best. I tend to think purvis takes a leap and becomes a plus defender this season.

Reaction Score
I'd argue the reverse. Play small and run and press. The personnel is there to be lethal in that set up. Those big dudes on USF will be sucking major wind in 2 minutes.

Reaction Score
Kemba nor Shabazz started as freshman. Both were exactly what Adams will be. An instant spark off the bench. Gibbs and Purvis will start, but Adams will play just as many minutes. This is a great problem to have. Can't remember a team w this much depth when all healthy.

Reaction Score
If Brimah doesn't start rebounding I think we'll see a lineup of Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, and Miller a lot which I love.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Adams coming off the bench has nothing to do with his abilities. The value of bringing your freshman ball handler off the bench is:

1) Adams gets the opportunity to watch the first few minutes to get a sense of pace, how the game is being called, what the defense is trying to do, etc. An experienced point like Gibbs has to adjust on the fly while running the offense in real time. That's a lot to be asked of Adams right away. Let the kid get a sense of things on the bench until the first TV Timeout.

2) Its like an off speed pitch in baseball. Gibbs is the fastball, you establish that for the first 5 minutes, then you immediately change the look. Slide Gibbs to the 2 (like Kemba used to) and put Adams at the 1. Now Gibbs is getting somewhat of a rest off ball and the defense has to acclimate to the new set. You can also install different plays for the different lineups.

3) One of Gibbs or Adams MUST be on the floor at all times. Purvis nor Hamilton have the on ball skills to run the offense. The best option after these two is probably Sam which with all due respect to Sam is dropping off a cliff. As such, if you play them both out of the gate you mess up the rest rotation or the ability to make adjustments / manage foul trouble.

It's a no brainer. It's our blueprint. And that's why Goodman is an idiot. It's got nothing to do with his ranking.

Edit: You also make a freshman earn his right to start. So there's that.

Reaction Score
Kemba nor Shabazz started as freshman. Both were exactly what Adams will be. An instant spark off the bench. Gibbs and Purvis will start, but Adams will play just as many minutes. This is a great problem to have. Can't remember a team w this much depth when all healthy.

A lot of BY'ers have said the same thing. That Kemba and Bazz did not start their freshman year so why should Adams?
Keep in mind those were both Calhoun teams not Ollie's. Kemba provided a huge spark off the bench with ability to drive because he had no outside game at that point, he was sorta the oppoiste of AJ. As for Bazz lets face it he could have easily started since Olander started all the games in the Big East/NCAA tournys for no strategic reason.

Reaction Score
Should be noted that those big dudes are actually on UCF, not USF.
I think he's corret in the USF bigs statement. They have Boogie Cousins' brother who is a load on the block as wel as the spanish player Guerrero who is 6'11. But UCF does have big Mcbride as well as Tacko Fall incoming, who is 7'5 i believe.

Reaction Score
Thornton/Allen
Kennard/Jones
Ingram
Obi/Jefferson
Jeter/Plumlee/Vrankovic

Ingram is really good. Obi may be the best big man in the ACC. Thornton is the best freshman PG. They have the proper role players, and Allen and Kennard can get buckets. Duke has a FF roster.
Obi best big man in the ACC? He had a very nice freshman year at Rice, what am I missing?

Reaction Score
I think he's corret in the USF bigs statement. They have Boogie Cousins' brother who is a load on the block as wel as the spanish player Guerrero who is 6'11. But UCF does have big Mcbride as well as Tacko Fall incoming, who is 7'5 i believe.

He referred to "taco and the other fat kid." He was talking about UCF.

Reaction Score
Well choosing two of Purvis, Gibbs, and Adams to start is a really nice problem to have.
Agree. Each brings something different to the table. The combination of Adams & Gibbs gives you two PG-Combos. Purvis is more a scorer. Ego wise, it would likely be less drama if you go with Gibbs & Purvis and bring Adams off the bench. IMO, productivity wise, I like Adams & Gibbs and Purvis off the bench as an instant offense impact, like ala John Gwynn back in the day. Until the two newbies get here and KO sees how they play together and exactly how good and how ready Adams might be, it's really hard to predict what is best.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Miller is just what the doctor ordered for us. There's no doubt in my mind he starts. Gibbs is a perfect addition to allow KO to bring Jalen up to speed slowly. I doubt JA starts but I expect that he'll get starters minutes by the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Gibbs: 30
Purvis: 30
Adams: 25
Hamilton: 33
Miller: 27
Facey: 10
Brimah: 25
Nolan: 5
Enoch: 5

10 minutes extra to spare

Reaction Score
Agree. Each brings something different to the table. The combination of Adams & Gibbs gives you two PG-Combos. Purvis is more a scorer. Ego wise, it would likely be less drama if you go with Gibbs & Purvis and bring Adams off the bench. IMO, productivity wise, I like Adams & Gibbs and Purvis off the bench as an instant offense impact, like ala John Gwynn back in the day. Until the two newbies get here and KO sees how they play together and exactly how good and how ready Adams might be, it's really hard to predict what is best.

So why wouldn't Adams provide "instant offense" off the bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom