Goodman Preseason Top 50 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Goodman Preseason Top 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Starting Lineups don't matter to me at all. Hell, Olander started games, played 2 minutes and wouldn't come back in for the rest of the half. This roster is going to have many similarities to NBA rotations. We will have a sixth man coming off the bench that deserves to start on many, if not all other teams, but puts his ego aside and does whats best for the team. Plus, some people like coming off the bench to get a feel for the game and jump into the flow, rather than start it.

Reaction Score
As many have said, it's really not a big deal who starts. However, whoever plays the final 5 minutes of the game is a big deal. Luckily, if one player isn't performing we have the luxury of going to the bench to get someone else.

In my eyes the only way the starting line up is an issue is if the lone man out takes it harshly and messes with the chemistry of the team. That's why IMO (besides the fact that I just think right now Purvis is the better college player) Purvis should start over Adams - seniority. Adams seems like he'll gladly accept the 6th man role, he seems like a great kid and a team first player. He's a freshman and coming off the bench for him shouldn't be a big deal.

Reaction Score
So why wouldn't Adams provide "instant offense" off the bench?

Not my statement but I'd thought I'd answer.

Sure Adams can provide instant offense off the bench but he can also do so much more (from what I've seen in HS and Prep ball). Purvis hasn't shown he can.

"Instant Offense" off the bench to me is someone with a scorers mentality who lacks in other areas. Someone who gets the ball and is just looking to score. Purvis fits that mold much more than Adams.

Purvis can bang the three if left open and can bully himself in the lane if given the opportunity. Other than that he is very limited. Can't hit a three with a hand in his face and can't use his handle to get his own shot both things Adams excels at. Gibbs and Adams can create for themselves and others.

Listen I could be wrong and he could come back with a complete game, which would be great us.

Reaction Score
Not my statement but I'd thought I'd answer.

Sure Adams can provide instant offense off the bench but he can also do so much more (from what I've seen in HS and Prep ball). Purvis hasn't shown he can.

You can't discredit Purvis by saying he "hasn't shown he can" do certain things and then just assume that an incoming freshman can do all of those things immediately. Purvis was a 5-star recruit in high school just like Adams was. I'm sure everyone assumed Purvis could do everything in high school too.

Reaction Score
My feeling is that its going to be real difficult for Ollie to keep Jalen off the floor. It wouldn't shock me, depending on our opponent, to have a 3 guard set and push Dham to the 4. If Brimah ever learns how to rebound, this could be a crazy fast and athletic lineup.
I could see us playing smaller with Miller instead of Brimah at times, especially if Miller is scoring and rebounding as advertised.

Reaction Score
I bet Enoch gets more than 5 minutes
I would be surprised if he got much more than that. By all accounts he's still a raw player and he's going to have to fight for minutes with Brimah, Miller, Facey, Hamilton (when we go small), and Nolan. Unless he's much better than advertised right away, it would be tough for him to bring enough to get a lot of playing time early. Brimah and Miller are essentially locks for a lot of playing time, Nolan figures to be the main C backup, and I would surprised to see him jump Facey. There's just not a ton of playing time left.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if he got much more than that. By all accounts he's still a raw player and he's going to have to fight for minutes with Brimah, Miller, Facey, Hamilton (when we go small), and Nolan. Unless he's much better than advertised right away, it would be tough for him to bring enough to get a lot of playing time early. Brimah and Miller are essentially locks for a lot of playing time, Nolan figures to be the main C backup, and I would surprised to see him jump Facey. There's just not a ton of playing time left.

Given that Enoch is 6'10'', his easiest path for minutes would be to beat out Nolan for the backup center spot. That could happen.

Reaction Score
Given that Enoch is 6'10'', his easiest path for minutes would be to beat out Nolan for the backup center spot. That could happen.
It could. I find it unlikely though given the struggles a lot of raw big men have on the defensive side of the ball as well as our options to run a small lineup without Brimah in (and potentially cover up the weakness that is our center depth). Hopefully he does though, that would mean his development is moving along quickly and would be great.

Reaction Score
I would make the prediction at some point that happens during the season, while nolan is slotted into a olander bare minimum minutes role. Love nolans defense, but its a bit like olanders offense. he would offer very good post defense, picknroll defense, rotating... but then commit a dumb foul. Nolan is such a buffoon on offense if there is any other option i suspect KO to use that

Reaction Score
I feel dirty saying this: Goodman may not be completely wrong. [Pauses to take long shower]. Ollie prefers two ball-handling guards on the floor (ala Shabazz and Boatright) who are good defensively. Adams and Gibbs probably provide this dynamic more than Purvis with either of them. It is not unreasonable to think that as the season progresses that Adams will start games. I imagine that Purvis will start in the near term, but it won't surprise me if that changes over the course of the season. Purvis should and will get a lot of minutes during the season, but the Gibbs/Adams combo might provide more of the offense that we are used to seeing from Ollie coached teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would make the prediction at some point that happens during the season, while nolan is slotted into a olander bare minimum minutes role. Love nolans defense, but its a bit like olanders offense. he would offer very good post defense, picknroll defense, rotating... but then commit a dumb foul. Nolan is such a buffoon on offense if there is any other option i suspect KO to use that
Apparently he played injured last season (plantar faciitis) which could explain his stunning inability to elevate or make a lay up. I'm giving the kid a pass. We'll see soon enough.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Can someone who has the time on their hands post his whole top 50 here?

Reaction Score
I think what Uconn is going to have:

The combination of being an older team that also has a GREAT deal of talent size and athletic ability--you dont really see that too much. I can see ANY scenario UNLESS we get injured that Uconn is not a top 10 team and a serious final 4 contender.

Reaction Score
Unless Purvis starts playing very poorly or has some other kind of issue, he isn't losing his starting spot.

Anyone think maybe Miller comes off the bench first? Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Brimah?

Not saying it will happen just thinking about how hard it may be to keep some people off the court.

Reaction Score
The issue is defensive assignment.

Anyone think maybe Miller comes off the bench first? Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Brimah?

Not saying it will happen just thinking about how hard it may be to keep some people off the court.

If you have a SMU Marcus Kennedy, there is no expectation that Daniel Hamilton can cover him ... and I hope that Shonn Miller can. You might see Phil Nolan on the court. A beefy tall PF brings us to another level.

pj

Reaction Score

That lineup will see a lot of time. Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Brimah, Miller could average 30 minutes each, other players splitting the remaining 20 minutes. I doubt Omar or Sam Jr will be able to push Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/DHam off the court at the perimeter spots. Facey will earn time, so Miller probably gets 20-25 minutes only. Nolan and Enoch will get some time backing up Brimah.

I think as far as starters, the freshman always sits, so starting lineup is Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller, Brimah. But Jalen will finish the game and get a ton of minutes as many have said.

Reaction Score
The issue is defensive assignment.

If you have a SMU Marcus Kennedy, there is no expectation that Daniel Hamilton can cover him ... and I hope that Shonn Miller can. You might see Phil Nolan on the court. A beefy tall PF brings us to another level.

Agree there may be match ups where this lineup actually puts more of a strain on the competition as far as covering them also. But I do prefer 3 bigs or shall I say a SF, PF and C traditional line up. I also hope that Miller is our answer for those match ups we have had trouble with like Kennedy.

Reaction Score
Miller didn't come here to sit, and neither did Gibbs. Those guys are both starters. Miller is too good defensively and on the boards to not start.

No one is here to to "sit" but I think they may mix it up with the "core 6" - these guys will all see a lot of time for sure. But agree, Miller with his abilities on both ends will be tough to take out of the line up.

Reaction Score
I don't see any way Adams starts over Purvis from day one.[/QUO
Adams could start with Gibbs if KO wants 2 ball handlers in the game at the same time(ala Ollie and Sheffer). If Adams is a great shooter it would be hard to start Purvis who can be inconsistent. Either way this is a nice problem to have. Last season we couldn't even find a second ball handler

Reaction Score
Adams will be 6th man, it's an easy decision and makes the most sense for both team chemistry and player development. Adams will be a very good player for us this year and I want him at around 25mpg but I want Miller in the game more. Hamilton will steal some of his minutes but otherwise this kid needs to be on the court. Ivy League competition or not he was ranked top 10 in the nation defensively and that is how we win championships. Offensively we have unlimited potential, but for this team to make a deep run our defense must be on par. This starts with Miller.

Reaction Score
Adams will be 6th man, it's an easy decision and makes the most sense for both team chemistry and player development. Adams will be a very good player for us this year and I want him at around 25mpg but I want Miller in the game more. Hamilton will steal some of his minutes but otherwise this kid needs to be on the court. Ivy League competition or not he was ranked top 10 in the nation defensively and that is how we win championships. Offensively we have unlimited potential, but for this team to make a deep run our defense must be on par. This starts with Miller.
That scenario is most likely but there are always surprises. Team chemistry will happen or not on its own and that is the one thing nobody can predict. I don't think the starting lineup is an easy decision at all. There is a lot of talent on this team. We could see Omar and Sam Jr. really come on and Gibbs and Miller disappoint. You never really know until practice begins. Going to be an interesting year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom