Goodman: Hurley to UConn (not official) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Goodman: Hurley to UConn (not official)

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Not sarcasm at all.

I've been dying for ANYONE to discuss Oats on this board. So I thank the now 3 people total who have discussed him beyond just a name drop.

A) Hurley only really developed UB into a strong team for a year or two, it’s not like Oats took over a perennial juggernaut. But yeah, Hurley built the base.

B) I have no clue if he can recruit at a higher profile place, but his classes coming in are some of the best in UB history - obviously not saying a ton - but he’s got good momentum.

Those are counter points to the objections to him you quoted, but I don’t necessarily disagree with those points. They’re all well reasoned opinions on him.

I didn’t follow as closely as I should have this year, but he’s doing really nice things here.

Reaction Score
If the new transfer rule passes, we should go after Musslemen, he could bring his starting 5 with him, throw in Adams and Vital, whala, just like that we have a top 10 team.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Saw a few Oats related responses after I responded, sorry if I reiterated any of the well made points above. He’s a good up and coming coach.

Reaction Score
No strawman. If Benedict believes Hurley is the right guy, then paying him what Ollie made is the smart move. Nobody said pay him $4, $5, $6 million. But $3 million isn't a bidding war, it's the going rate for a school expecting to field a top 25 team every year. Just because you rate the guys you mentioned as good if not better than Hurley doesn't mean you're right. You might be, but your opinion on their ability does not validate your arbitrary salary cap.

Hop off your high horse with the budget. You have no idea who you're talking to, or what I've done to try and get this states spending under control. You're just wrong. Like it or not the basketball program is an investment into the prestige of the university. The athletics success has helped spur investments and applications, and a winning program pays for itself and brings along ancillary benefits.

Nothing is guaranteed, but Hurley has one of the better profiles out there. You're the one who arbitrarily set the limit at $1.5 and declared anything over a "bidding war", what was it you said about "strawman" arguments?

Hypocrite.

No high horse about the budget. CT is a fiscal mess. Ranks second to Illinois as far as worst fiscal condition. Glad you are trying to get state spending under control. You certainly have your work cut out for you. And I don't disagree that a successful basketball program pays big dividends. I just don't want to see us losing our heads over one guy because he's the current hot commodity. $1.5 million base plus some nice incentives is quite a leap from the $300,000 base he's making now. Let's say DB has three strong candidates. So how much more do you think Hurley is worth than the other two who are rated similarly? There is a value comparison to be made. It is not about going for the cheapest or being penny wise & pound foolish. We all want UConn restored to its former heights. We just have different views on how we get there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I just don't want to see us losing our heads over one guy because he's the current hot commodity. $1.5 million base plus some nice incentives is quite a leap from the $300,000 base he's making now. Let's say DB has three strong candidates. So how much more do you think Hurley is worth than the other two who are rated similarly?

The base is a little disingenuous though.

Hurley's guaranteed annual take is more than $1m at the moment. His base is only $300k, but that's in name only. He gets something like $650k in gate receipts every year (no matter how many tickets are sold). Plus he gets other bonuses that aren't performance related. He's doing alright.

I'd think you'd want to see his total guaranteed income approximately double if he comes here. He's gonna lose half to taxes anyway.

Reaction Score
No high horse about the budget. CT is a fiscal mess. Ranks second to Illinois as far as worst fiscal condition. Glad you are trying to get state spending under control. You certainly have your work cut out for you. And I don't disagree that a successful basketball program pays big dividends. I just don't want to see us losing our heads over one guy because he's the current hot commodity. $1.5 million base plus some nice incentives is quite a leap from the $300,000 base he's making now. Let's say DB has three strong candidates. So how much more do you think Hurley is worth than the other two who are rated similarly? There is a value comparison to be made. It is not about going for the cheapest or being penny wise & pound foolish. We all want UConn restored to its former heights. We just have different views on how we get there.

Whether some people lose their heads is irrelevant. Benedict is the one making the decision with approval from his superiors.

Hurley isn't making $300k. He makes $1.1 million. His base salary is $300k, but is guaranteed to make $1.1m details here:
URI, Dan Hurley agree on contract extension through 2023-24 season

There's no answering your question, it's a silly hypothetical where no conclusion could be gained because there isn't nearly enough information. And there's been no indication that there is, or will be, a bidding year other than your posts.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Great win for Schmidt and Bona.

I feel like Alford can’t coach that top talent; perhaps they don’t buy in. Whatever it is, they under achieve and look a bit clueless at times.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It's posturing. They're all morans

The state is broke.

I think this gets done but we have to hope for a lot less than the 10 million buyout. My hope is for less than half or a third.

Reaction Score

I feel like Alford can’t coach that top talent; perhaps they don’t buy in. Whatever it is, they under achieve and look a bit clueless at times.

I am thinking Alfords days could be numbered at UCLA. He sold out the program to bring in the Ball family and it turned out to be a dumpster fire and a complete embarrassment.

Reaction Score
A perfect title would be: "Goodman, well connected in coaching circles, thinks Hurley will pick UConn over Pitt"

Sure. The title here is a definite overreach. Still think the information here is worth knowing, though.

Reaction Score
I am thinking Alfords days could be numbered at UCLA. He sold out the program to bring in the Ball family and it turned out to be a dumpster fire and a complete embarrassment.

Feel like UCLA would just hold out for a crack at Donovan if anything.

Reaction Score
The state is broke.

I think this gets done but we have to hope for a lot less than the 10 million buyout. My hope is for less than half or a third.

As pointed out earlier investment into the basketball program pays for itself. Go back and listen to the numbers Calhoun throws out in his "not a dime back" presser.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like how we’ve theoretically rejected some recruits theoretically following a coach that we have only theoretically hired.

There are no nets underneath the Boneyard trapeze.

Reaction Score
Saw a few Oats related responses after I responded, sorry if I reiterated any of the well made points above. He’s a good up and coming coach.

I like Oats as a candidate if we need to go cheap because of finances. Hopefully that is not the case. He does seem like a coach with a bright future.

Someone like Oats would be the perfect coach in waiting if JC decided to come back for a couple years.

Buffalo plays at 9:40 on Thursday so we will all get to take a look.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

You sort of knew they were going to lose when they approached it as though they were entitled not to have to be in the play in round and were surprised when their name got called for it. He expected to have three days of practice on the west coast before having to fly anywhere. Great attitude, and it showed on the court.

Reaction Score
It's more than just the Ball's. They rank right up there with the squid in terms of ethical filthe.

Reaction Score
Whether some people lose their heads is irrelevant. Benedict is the one making the decision with approval from his superiors.

Hurley isn't making $300k. He makes $1.1 million. His base salary is $300k, but is guaranteed to make $1.1m details here:
URI, Dan Hurley agree on contract extension through 2023-24 season

There's no answering your question, it's a silly hypothetical where no conclusion could be gained because there isn't nearly enough information. And there's been no indication that there is, or will be, a bidding year other than your posts.

The people I was talking about getting caught up in a bidding war are DB & other decision makers. That who matters. As for my question to you being a silly hypothetical, most everything discussed in this thread is a hypothetical. Guess we just wait and see what happens.

Reaction Score
Heading to the URI open practice today. Between the URI fans, delusional Pitt people who think they have a shot, and the Duke fans coming in for the session after theirs, I should be awfully popular in my UConn gear.
Any shot you have a Jonathan costume? I think it would be great to have Jonathan follow Hurley around until they lose.

Reaction Score
Heading to the URI open practice today. Between the URI fans, delusional Pitt people who think they have a shot, and the Duke fans coming in for the session after theirs, I should be awfully popular in my UConn gear.
Honest to god, this is beautiful!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom